Evolution of Drum & Bass

Discussion in 'Music' started by Retrolize77, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Yeah, because they all got worn through to the bone, is what I'm saying. :) That's the nature of dubplates.
    White labels, on the other hand...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

@wasgedn Dubplates are cheap test pressings that only lasted for a while, yeah?

3. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

ok makes sense...but i guess a few are usual vinyl..

5. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

no it was jungle then jump up then dnb1 , am i wrong ?

6. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

sick breaks

7. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

tech itch:hillbilly:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  8. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

9. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

i would kill the crowd if i were selecta...heh heh...

10. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Rough style junglist vibes please !

11. electriclash

electriclash Guest

12. electriclash

electriclash Guest

13. statik

statik Audiosexual

and some breakcore

14. genophyte

genophyte Producer

this one was the one that sold me on the weirder dubby genres that involve the amen break and technically fall somewhere between dnb , dub, and trip hop

this album is a classic for me.

15. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Some interesting insights into break processing/layering from that DOA Forum from a guy called „psitech“ (quote:https://www.dogsonacid.com/threads/the-photek-beats-thread.554281/page-2)

dunno the usual stuff i guess.. filters, adsr, expanders/gates, pitchbend.. i suppose the pitchbending in combination with filters adds to the synthetic feel.. some compression/multiband compression, tubes.. all hits gets processsd together instead of individually... only that gets used on individual drums are filters unles you count adsr.. i use filters on individual drums to work with layers.. and to make hats and ghosts out of kicks, snares, toms, whatever.. all it usually takes is some filtering and adjusting the adsr.. some toms have nice high end that works really well as ghosts hits.. but i usually make the ghost snare out of the main snare and then make 1 or 2 different hats out of the same snare.. i try to make hats and ghost snare out of the same hit, that way its gouing to be a bit easier to make them fit together than if you went out and chopped different sounds, and from different breaks.. and then try to make them work together.. although thats just a habit i have.. i dont think it will be to hard to make drumhits from different sources work together with simple adsr and various filters..

now i cant really explain exactly how i get certain sounds, as i tend not to think about how i tweak things, but more about how it sounds.. so there's never "boosting at 800hz will get me this or that" i just go to whatever the knob is and adjust it until it sound the way i want.. i guess some of that has to do with that i use alot of hardware, and i rarely have to look at what i do, so i dont pay much attention to those things... and its alot of trial and error too..

as for rolls and shuffles, its all about adsr and filterings for me.. also, expanders help with the rolls and shuffles, cuz you can set it to make the rolls smoother.. and if there is some kind of noise, the expander will make it flow to the break.. making longer tails for the snares for example.. fill in small gaps... blend with the ghosting and make it smoother.. also, hits that overlap will blend into the other hits, i mean, it will follow the other hits that it wouldnt do if you just let it play out.. the expander will change that.. perhaps not something you want to use on a whole break if you want to make it sound real.. but personally, if i wanted real, i'd get a drumkit, or work with loops of real playing and never tamper with it..
    i think the adsr is the most important thing to get things to not sound so robotic.. along with adsr you can record volume/velocity changes to keep it varying, subtle changes in pitch.. and of course timing.. sometimes i copy the beat i just made and change all the hits into other drumsounds, then layer it with the original, and record volume fades for the various patterns that makes up the break.. so that when it gets layered, i can for example have the snare sounding different on each hit.. i like to use pitchbending here too. this is probaböly better suited for experimental stuff unless you keep it very subtle.. and sometimes when i layer these drumsequences.. sometimes i set different timing to different hits.. or shift all hits in one layer, set them to 64th's and move them back or forward.. you can be subtle about it or a little more extreme, but then you'll get hits clashing in a way that migh not be so pleasing, what i usually do then is to set a longer attack time on all hits in one sequence.. so that all hits basicly becomes tails.. if i want i can then set different timesigs at differen bars on one sequence or both.. that way you can have the sequence with the tails to hit at a different position each time the break loops, you can get really nice shuffles this way.. you can go really mathematical here if you want to try to predict how it will sound the 13th or 62nd time it loops or whatever, but i just go for trial and error and see if i can come up with something nice.. then i just record it in cubase and edit out the parts that i didnt like..

alot of the way i work is at my fingertips so to speak.. but thats some of what i can remember out of my head.:smil:

oh and i dont go anal about how it sounds.. all about textures imo

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  17. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Nobody thought about the Australians Pendulum's "Hold Your Colour",the perfect album ?
    their time was a move of DnB,with more synths and melodies,with the release of NI Massive.Later sadly arrived Liquid DnB,for me not the best times of DnB.

And the memorable Bad company's "Inside the Machine",also one of the best DnB album ever:

18. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

the ones which never meant to be released maybe...to have exclusive material as dj when you also a producer...cant imagine them was all test pressing....but right yeah dubplates were cheap test pressings..

19. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Layering percussive elements is not easy with their sharp transients.I don't do that a lot.I prefer looking for one nice snare or one nice kick(layering speaking of course,on some breaks I have 3 different snares).
    I just layer some hats/tambourine(very used in DnB)/ride cymbals.

And to polish my drumbuss and glue tracks together,at this time I put Plugin Alliance SPL Iron compressor and after PA BlackBox saturation,and if EQ needed I only use passive EQs.If I want massive distortion I use iZotope Trash2.That chain works very well.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned