Evolution of Drum & Bass

Discussion in 'Music' started by Retrolize77, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Dope videos, that first tune photek was playing got crazy sharp breaks. I allways loved those reduced breaks with pauses in the right places, so clean & full of karate chop impact, photek mastered this technique, certainly others im not aware of too , i guess.
    What do you meem with „before the germans came ...lol.
    You talk about precision /makai? Did they trendsettered that hard and more technoish tech-step stuff, no more rollers, just hard one shots drum pattern?

2. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Those vocal cuts &the bassline, simple & easy to remember, till today

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  3. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Amazing drum patterns

4. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Talking bout the origins of d&b

6. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Dillinja was so in the face, damn

7. ontschoeit

ontschoeit Kapellmeister

Oh yeah. And the immortal "Come on my selector"... With that insanity after "Let the bass kick" 5:57. Also I think, bass guitar plus d+b is an awesome combination.

I think his more insane tracks are the ones on Go Plastic... e.g. Go Spastic or Greenways Trajectory.

8. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

9. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Whoa, new 2 me , never heard before, sci fi shit

10. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Hear what, brethren! Early to mid '90's. For us in the UK, DnB arose thus...
    In North London, specifically Tottenham for me, the proper Jungle (with the reggae breakdowns) white labels were all over the radio dial; you didn't have to hardly move the dial at all to hear another pirate station! It was awesome! When the signal was exceptionally good, we knew they were probably set up in the same tower block, or close by! Sometimes they were even mobile, to escape the detectors. Self promotion of tracks being the only way, the practitioners of this art were prepared to lose radio equipment to the police, and as such would set up a tape loop of a particularly good night of live mixing and MC'ing that maybe we'd heard the week before, and leave it running in a locked up flat. It would bait the police! Haha. But all they'd find was a room with a transmitter and tape player! They'd then have to go to the top of the tower block to take down the aerial!

Jungle has reggae influences. In the bass lines, in the tracks they'd cut in on the '1/2 time' breakdowns, and in any vocal MC'ing. So I'm not sure what is meant by 'ragga jungle'. That's just how Jungle is/was. First time I've heard it called that. I know there are different types of Jungle we refer to *now*, but we shouldn't have to rename the original thing to ragga Jungle, imho. Anyway, you could walk out of Seven Sisters tube station and walk up to a street vendor and buy your chosen underground CD pressings of exactly that style of Jungle! Good times!
    There was also a newer sound, slicker programming, samples from films etc. More of a darker sound. The start of DnB.
    Huuuuge tune was Origin Unknown - Valley Of The Shadows, in the early '90's. This was mostly done with a free sample CD from the first Future Music magazine, and the vox is from a BBC documentary called Glimpses of Death.
    Thankfully, BBC Radio One, the mainstream record industry, or any mainstream media, hadn't really realised and utilised the potential of this being the new hip-hop i.e. the sound of a generation/the music of the kids of the day/something to use as stock music all over the place. So it was a very underground scene at the time, and the parties & gigs were an amazing thing to behold. Brought people together. Made money.

THEN, maybe '95/'96, things started to change on the pirate stations.
    Adam F. (white!) son of Bobby Davro! television 'comedian' of the '80's, had Circles white label being rinsed to fuck, all over the pirates. Over a year later, he had a big deal. The album release never sounded as good as the original!, which I still have on tape from the pirate radio shows. To be honest, we all called that track DnB. Because it wasn't the Jungle sound. Just had a similar rhythmic aspect. But ymmv. The upright bass was a nice touch, which obviously Roni picked up on.
    I, and we, sensed it was going mainstream.
    When Roni won the Mercury Music Award Prize in '97, Jungle had undoubtedly been joined by DnB, and then the underground scene was not underground anymore lol. The purists didn't respect Roni at all, but the guy pioneered that jazzy sound and I was happy for that.
    The purist crew were not happy when Fabio & Grooverider got with the BBC, but hey, each to his own. The same thing happened with Garage (you can exchange Fabio & Grooverider for The Dream Team, who also 'sold out' to Radio One), yet it had a shorter gestation period prior to hitting the mainstream industry, and hasn't had the longevity that Jungle or DnB has had.
    I enjoyed the Bukem/Conrad stuff. That was nice.

And then Stevie Hyper D died, and it seemed like the end of an amazing time.
    Long live the legacy and the music! Big up yourself.

Peas. :wink:

Tuuuuune!

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

Yes, Rupert was definitely 'da choppa man', back in the day. Before ze germans came. Before (quantized edits, groove pool, in the box mixing..) native instruments, before ableton, before.. But that's not what I ment. Ze germans was meaningless association with "proper". And not only 'da choppa man'. Rupert was melodically mellow, atmosphericaly trippy, but not cheezy (pare with bukem)....

Before dnb muse left his soul - seems like forever.

(gio monaldo probably loves metamorphosis)

And yes, one more time. No more 'organic rollers' imho. Just sterile overproduced repetitive noise. Maybe I'm just an old fart, in process od dissociation. Now im just, probably more intrigued by slow paced, played and recorded trippy hopy shit, rather than re/sampled 'dnb'.

For fast paced breaks defragmentation need, in days of racing mind mental fuckup, there is always, as mentioned above, good ol' i"d"m.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Midge F

Midge F Platinum Record

......and float off, downstream.

13. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Pretty good compilation to start with "Drum.And.Bass.Compilation.Vol.1-TorrentVault"

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Thx for sharing that firsthand-experiences with us. Reads like a book, capturing as hell!
    Amazing & unique period of time

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

16. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

A couple of oldies but goodies...

Been trying to find that sick remix of "Barrington Levy - Here I Come" but to no avail. Ya'll know the one I'm talking about...I'm broad, I'm broad, I'm broader than Broadway. Haven't been able to find the proper remix. If anyone can find it please post a link.

17. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Allways loved this simple , short & genuine piece of art

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

@Retrolize77
    True say!
    Yeah, thank you, I seemed to get on a roll just thinking about those times! That's my typing for the month right there.
    I want to drop some proper rough style jungllist vibes, but it would seem out of place amongst all this DnB, and OT I guess.
    I think I'm gonna have to go through an old box of cassettes to relive some stuff tonight!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

I had that enforcer compilation, that guy leon mar stood out, never had any infos about him but those 2 tunes had been outstanding

20. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

You better should! If its no effort, digitalize that original circles version, such a superb tune! He must have had to re-mix it or something. Whatever, thx for the good vobes & inspiration. Please feel free to push some in your opinion classic material into this thread.

Damn i aint got my sony dat player anymore, got dozens of old dats in the basement, not sure if they still capable of music but i would love to hear my 90‘s stuff, did some d&b joints just with jungle warfare cd & beloved roland w-30 sampler, had to change bitrate of the breaks due to sample time issues!