Everything You Know About 'Carving Space' with EQ is wrong? Maybe!

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Cardamom, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Thoughts? His audio examples seem to legitimize his position on the issue.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Clickbait. Nothing he says is all that "controversial", but he says very little at all. It starts to fall apart once you being adding any additional fx. That's a recipe for mud.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

Incompatible with loud/bass based genres.

5. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I like the point he makes on people following ideas instead of listening. The problem is, these vids will incite some of that too, some people will boost kick and bass and be confused when one specific note sticks out like hell.

Production plays a major role on how all those work, if you take into account overlaping or low-mid quality before mixing of course you can do whatever you want, but in reality that's not always the case, same for high/lowpassing stuff or scooping the mids.

So yeah, this is schrondinger's advice, it's great and sucks at the same time until you put it against a real thing, then rinse and repeat.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

"use your ears. just look at these numbers to prove it."

"back when I was intermediate"... was the end of it for me.

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I'm not that into YT vids for mixing but I've never carved out any (low) freqs this way. But you need to take care, aka listen, that it doesn't cause problems, that's for sure.

That's what came to my mind too.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

my default Logic EQ when I open it is set to cutoff below 30hz as soon as I open one. with the attenuation set to about -48 so some stuff will still go below 30, but definitely not 20. I might alter this later, but I'd rather do this than forget to.

the reason why I don't see him making some "point" controversial or not, is that people do not do subtractive EQ in front of compression for no reason. That simple eq change does not exist in a vacuum (free from dynamics). And this influencer guy talking about more than bass, contrary to the title of his video; is largely not good info to present to someone.

9. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

Arent there a whole class of plugins dedicated to dipping out resonant frequencies? the hell is this guy talking about? My general rule I follow is if dip somewhere, make up the difference somewhere else. Ive been messing with doing shelves and crossing them at what I hear as a sweet spot and then mixing from there... Idk what it is but it sounds different

10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Isn't he a "Youtube mixer" too? Good thing he's advanced though or else I might NOT listen to him and so NOT overlap the low frequency spectrum of a mix and just plain ruin everything. A godSEND is he to rescue, to guide with sage advice.