Every DAW has its own power. What can you name for Ableton Live except its sampling capabilities?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by foster911, Nov 8, 2017.

1. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

There's no such thing as "The DAW with the best workflow".
    The DAW with the "best" workflow is the DAW that suits *your* workflow best.
    I'm using both Live and LPX.
    If Live didn't exist, I'd likely use Bitwig and if LPX didn't exist, I'd likely use Reaper 5.

Back to the original question:
    - Remote-controlling Live with an iPad (LK, Lemur, LiveControl2) and other MIDI controllers
    - Python scripting!!!
    - Fast and intuitive MIDI and keyboard shortcut mapping and display of mappings
    - Very useful built-in "Suite" instruments not included in any other DAW
    - Sampler reads foreign formats (especially SF2 and the EXS banks from LPX)
    - Max4Live
    - Although some complain, the simplicity of the UI even in V10 is what makes Live unique to me
    - Racks you can easily create for yourself, independent from buses/routing
    - Wireless sync with iOS and import project sketches from iPhone/iPad
    - Wireless sync with your other machines running Live, Reason, Maschine ...
    - Proper MIDI Slave sync
    - Proper implementation of MIDI controller feedback messages (not unique to Live but customizable!)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

I've been slutting around with other DAWs.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Tabby

Tabby Kapellmeister

Tried FL but I didn't like the playlist approach. I know this is what makes it FL and it's users love playlists. I had problem working with it. I believe FL is a better choice because of it's constant Development and lifetime updates. Plugins are better in FL. I am used to Ableton and now shifted to Reaper because of small footprint and constant development. Tweaked it close to Ableton.
    I think I will use Reaper until AIMP(Fantastic audio player) developer makes a DAW. :P

4. Sauceky

Sauceky Member

Warping

The click anything to create an automation lane function.

Having your FX chain at the bottom with native plugins seamlessly integrated into the GUI as opposed to having pop out boxes.

Audio and instrument racks also integrated into the GUI making them lightning fast to both set up and use.

Now if only Ableton could get Studio One's ability to drag a midi clip to an audio track and it would instantly bounce it down and keep the meta data it would be even better.

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I like all the colors.

Seriously, though.
    • Macros (within macros, within macros, within macros...)
    • M4L
    • Clips
    • Automation
    • DRUM RACKS (Which aren't exclusive to percussion(within macros, within macros...))
    • Session View (independent live jamming)
    • Sample warping
    • Tempo syncing (LINK)
    • COLORS

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

This thread inspired me to take a good long look at Live. I'll start by saying that I am pretty much just tired of every single daw out there. See this "play to end" button? I quite frankly cannot live without it, and FL Studio isn't working properly on Mac. As a result, I have not even attempted working with anything but virtual instruments since I went with Reaper on the Mac a couple of years back. No drumloops. No sample-based beats. I really miss this, and think Live could probably work for me.

I am very impressed with Live's workflow though - but is there an equivalent to Play to end in live? I've searched, but no luck.

Attached Files:

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

You must choose one. Which one?

DAWs.jpg

Pro Tools is old but pro.:yes: Me personally into Future DAW.:dunno:

8. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

Has the ability to make things sound like shit quickly .

9. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I love to work them all. Simultaneously.

#ReWire
    #Plogue
    #Love

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

Live means getting tracks up and running quickly to me. It means you can create a host of quick sketches that can be elaborated on and worked up into complete tracks later.

It's not a DAW for recording and managing complex projects that involve lots of different takes and external musicians and instruments. It wasn't designed for that and it will never be a good choice for those type of projects.

I think every DAW has its own strengths and weaknesses, it's just a matter of choosing the one that suits how you work and the type of music you work with.

11. alex921

alex921 Producer

Bitwig does not have 1 midi channel hardcoded like Live does. Found this script for Bitwig, check it out. http://www.feelyoursound.com/sundog-with-bitwig/ , grab the TomsGenericKeyboard.control.js and you should be set.

Personally, for me Live has everything I need in terms of workflow. It's speed, workflow is far superior to any DAW I tried. It does not mean it is the say same for you though, it's just a matter of preferenc
    Looking back at it though, I wish I started with Logic. It has better features, time/pitching sounds better to me, and in general a better feature set.

Everytime I try Logic, I get frustrated because all the extra steps you have to take to do simple things, like route a midi channel, which takes 5 seconds in Live. So in that regard, I'm a bit spoiled with Live, in terms of workflow and speed, allthough it's lacking a few features.

Bitwig seems like a serious contender, but as others said I will buy it once it's more mature. I feel Bitwig will become a very strong DAW. And the learning curve is not that different to Live, which is a plus, because I dont want to spend another 2+ years to master a DAW.

12. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Care to guess?

13. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Hah!.......Funnny thread....

what can i name if for....err......Native plug ins are crazy convinsing..as opposesd to fl n similar

But ...one thing Ableton has over absolutley any other daw>..is.>>"jus one of many a feature i could reel of at will btw"

."The envelopes ....are killer killer snappy n Tight"...

like crazy tight...
    Ive never ever come across a daw tht has envelopes like ableton....

Fl studio doesnt...sonar doesnty....cubase doesnt...etc etc...

U dont even need a secondary plug to glitch the shizzle outta stuff too!....
    and ths epic in my book.......

im a Dnb/dance music programmer ,so to many ..that particular feature will be greatly overlooked..
    But is a God send......."some of you know jus what im talkn bout donchya?"...

14. Aceha1

Aceha1 Kapellmeister

Well, to me, Maschine and Reason are WAY more fun to use, but... Ableton works. It's ugly, it's plodding, it's technical, but it works. If you want something done, it can do it. Maschine is more fun to use, but hilariously under-powered and the build of the instrument is flimsy. PUSH 2 is built like a tank. Reason doesn't have a controller (Nektar be damned) and that is my number one gripe with it now that it supports VST. I really do like Reason and Maschine "better" than Ableton, but I keep coming back to it because I am not limited in any way by the software, and the controller is top-notch. Maybe I'll grow to enjoy the process more over time.

And just so you know I'm not a noob:

15. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

"has hardcoded MIDI channel value(1) for inner routings" ;) (check http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=493985 ) also works inside AL MAX devices (if u write some sender/receiver logic inside them which skips the AL own router)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  16. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

with Channel Rack/Filter Groups the routing works as in any other DAW, what is the problem ?

17. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

[​IMG]

18. Tabby

Tabby Kapellmeister

There's no problem with FL. It's just what I prefer. I prefer playlist channels behave as mixer channels. Which is not in the case of FL. And Reaper recently got Automation items like in fruity loops..

19. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

This is exactly how I feel about Live too.

20. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

the problems with Reaper begins here (worth to check NUCLEON | Advanced Automation Techniques | FL Studio x Dancefair on youtube) the inner cabeless modulation system is missing from Reaper, FL is basically eq with Reason + AL - Push

but don't want to hijack the topic, after the girls... :no: (a thread based forum engine would be nice)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017