Every DAW has its own power. What can you name for Ableton Live except its sampling capabilities?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by foster911, Nov 8, 2017.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

Live's ardent freaks are usually talking about its better workflow but I think it's not the case. Live's simpler/sampler and some facilities for working with samples are the only observable features. What can you name further?:dunno::bleh:

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

Rapid songwriting? Deadly built-in plugz? Just works?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. johnR13

johnR13 Member

live perfomance!!! easy ...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. mickey

mickey Ultrasonic

STUDIO ONE....... is King.
    Best all

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. spyfx

spyfx Guest

my friend foster,,,:bow:,i don't think you totally understand Ableton....Live

Ableton Live(evil) is T H E D.A.W......D(evil)A(t)W(ork)

Love you foster,:keys:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

Push ...

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. The DegoWOP System

The DegoWOP System Member

Live handles paramater automation in a clean and easy to use way that just makes sense. Adjust a knob, slider etc. on any plugin and Live will automatically pull up an envelope for that parameter in the appropriate track's sequencer lane. Then you just you simply click where you want a breakpoint and drag it to it's desired location. Curved automation is easy to accomplish by control clicking. It's easy to duplicate your automation envelopes by simply selecting a section, right clicking to bring up the menu and selecting "duplicate". It's a far easier to use system than in Logic or Reason (my two other DAWs). This alone is a huge workflow enhancement. Live's got loads of great keyboard shortcuts that are easy to master. It's got the easiest to use timestretch/warp features that I've ever used. Chopping up audio and making it fit your pitch and tempo is a breeze in Live's audio editor section. I can't think of a better platform for doing sample based stuff. It's very easy to keep all of your plugins and libraries organized. Live does a good job of saving your progress if a third party plugin causes your project to crash. Operator (which comes with Live) is a powerful and simple to use FM synth. The drum rack is without question my favorite way to handle drums. It looks simple at first glance, but once you get to know it, you immediately see how well thought out and powerful it can be. You can drag plugins onto each drum cell individually. So, if you want some distortion on your snare, you just drag and drop a distortion plugin on to that cell. This makes it really easy to customize/eq/compress individual sounds in your kit. The GUI is uncluttered and well laid out, and can be customized quite a bit to makes more space, or display more information and features. Once I switched over from Logic, I have found that I get a lot more work done and generally just enjoy working in the environment much more. It's also cool for live performance. The clip triggering layout was a brilliant innovation, and was entirely unique before BitWig came about. I do think that BitWig will become a really incredible DAW once it's had time to mature. I've only played around with it a little, but I can see the potential.

9. foster911

foster911 Guest

You said all of these features but the only different one than other DAWs is your this sentence:
    I don't want to talk inequitably but I still think Live is a big Drum Machine and its users are usually the ones that make beaty music because it doesn't grant expressible and newsworthy facilities to open your eyes into other styles of music.:bleh::bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2017
  10. line.input

line.input Ultrasonic

Max integration gives it plenty of extra power.

The way you use any tool makes the difference though. ;)

11. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Foster testing Ableton Live: "I observe that this daw allows for grouping plug-ins into custom racks, further it allows mapping the knobs to various parameters so I can control them with my midi controller and this way I can have my own custom channel strips with hardware control. Stupid Ableton developers, this is as useful as having a keyboard on a piano."

12. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Ableton Live

allows you to setup quick projects for use with live performance
    so that your live at a show and can use dj gear and synths to change patch and subsets to create music live .[​IMG]

control it with something like this[​IMG]

my fav is reaper i use it for everything it is the best in my mind although to do same type thing as ableton you have to program somethings but its okay.
    [​IMG]

13. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

I'm learning to use it since monday.

Approaching its "piano-roll" was a shock (the FL Studio implementation seem to be better); the way Ableton dev's implemented the "draw" automation feature needs the skill of Leonardo da Vinci, not mine.

Anyway is interesting. The learning process is beginning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. TW

TW Guest

A very bright theme - you can work even if the sun is shining on your screen :rofl:. I like the simpler sampler But that`s it. I don`t like Abletons workflow at all.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Willum

Willum Rock Star

I'm much more interested in what YOU think is the power of every other daw?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  16. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

if u plan to do some MIDI orchestration in the rest of your life then should forget AL, so

like things, AL/Bitwig has hardcoded MIDI channel value(1) for inner routings ... consequences can be imagined

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. spyfx

spyfx Guest

hope you like these foster :bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

illuminati confirmed

19. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

Each one his everest! i love Live!

20. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

Max...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Easy and quick workflow, live performance, Max for Live, Warp (very good timestrech algo), Push 2, just to write the more important to me.