Event TR8 Sub?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by flworius, Mar 20, 2017.

1. flworius

flworius Member

Hi, I am working on a pair of Event TR8 and was looking for a Sub to complement them - nothing too fancy, looking out for a low budget good value buy.As I am in no hurry, I might prefer a used one.
    Any suggestions on which brands I should look for? What are the requirements of a sub in general and in particular when used in a studio environment? Can any Hifi Sub also do this Job(as you adjust his loudness/dynamics and frequency response regarding your main speakers) or are you looking for a "Monitor Sub"?

Thankful for any Tipps and Suggestions.

3. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

You're pretty bass hungry, that TR-8's possible of giving lots of low end (quoted @ 35 Hz). How's your room, do you have proper bass trapping? If not, adding a sub will only enlarge problems.

On HiFi- versus 'studio-type-subs': Many HiFi-subs don't have outputs, most studio subs do. As a musical producer you're probably looking to extend the low range of your nearfield monitors. In that scenario, you'll likely connect the 2 outputs on your audio-interface with the sub, then go through the sub to your nearfields. So in that case, a sub needs to have 2 outputs.
    In any other case you'll need an extra output on the interface. Such a connection is only used when doing 5.1 mixing, where the sub is a separate channel.

When a sub is indeed used to extend the low range of nearfields, you need a model with a Low Pass Filter (LPF) to set the crossover frequency to the nearfields. Actually, the nearfields need filtering too. Without, there's a real risk of interference. You'd best get an active monitor controller, capable of doing EQ on all channels. Positioning, measuring & calibrating your setup is important in a studio, even more with a subwoofer..