Essential basic equipment

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by miich, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Ineteresting how the discussion has gone from the first post "what plug-ins and wave samples" do I need, to the really important things (which, as always, money can't buy). :)

Well, at least the audio industry is trying to fool us all the time, that there IS the magic tool, which let's you create great music with the slightest effort.

Think about the Waves "One Knob" Plug-Ins, for example.
    I'm curious when they will come out with the "No Knob" Plug-Ins. "Just insert the Plug-In to a track, it automatically detects what the source material is, and what needs to be done to make it sound great. Insert a No Knob Plug-In to every track of your mix, and you're done!" :bow:

2. JackVeleno

JackVeleno Newbie

I hope that I will not repeat the idea of someone else that before me posted a comment.

I think to be in the midway: between the ones who are searching the magic button and the ones who wants to know everything about the sound and so on...

Is not the gear that makes the musician (Charlie Parker was playing a rusty contralt saxophone, and none could reach his level).

I can't stand when someone doesn't want to play because they don't have the right situation (instruments, audio supplies, and so on).

If you want to play and you find an old detuned piano, you HAVE to play.

In the same way, to produce nice stuff, first of all you need an idea.
    Then we can discuss how to develop it; and after having worked on it we can decide to change the guitar or the microphone or something else.

A good sound with a terrible idea, is useless...

On the other side, i don't need to know everything about a guitar to play it...

Music is instinct, is passion...

Guys, maybe I'm completely wrong... this is my modest opinion

3. felino

felino Newbie

Thanks, Guliver and Jack Veleno, that's the point. I like fun about 'No Knob' concept :)

Yes, the playing is all about passion. You're absolutely right when you said "i don't need to know everything about a guitar to play it...". Plus, you probably know the principle that you have to learn hard and than comes the time when you have to forget all that you've learned in order to move further.

4. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

There is only one really essential tool needed to make good or good sounding music (these are actually two very different things alltogether..) and that is a good set of EARS.
    And I disagree that music theory knowledge is essential.. it is not. It helps? Yes. It can (sometimes) make things easier? Yes too. So.. useful? Yes, essential? No.
    Somewhere in the thread there was also a mention on DAW.. a DAW is a tool.. knowing your tools inside out makes your work better, faster, easer.
    Could Da Vinci make the Gioconda without knowing how to use his brushes? Possibly yes.. but it would have been so much harder to get "that" smile ...

And just remember that Charlie Parker knew that rusty sax inside out.. it was an extension of his body.. he didn't have to "think" how to do this or that sound.. HE KNEW.

5. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Beethoven would disagree with you, at least in his later years :) (Why there is no grinning smiley?)

Of course good ears are important, altough I think the ears of a sound engineer have to be good in a different way then the ears of a musician.

6. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

Why do you think no-one ever offered him a job as Sound Engineer?

But seriously.. to compose as he did all he needed was to hear the sounds/music inside his head.. and he knew how to translate them on paper..

7. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Because he didn't use the latest Plug-Ins?

8. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

regarding Beethoven, there's a nice movie about him - Copying Beethoven.
    ...downloaded bdrip a few days ago :wink:

9. miich

miich Newbie

I'm glad to share some ideas in such a fertile forum ;o)

well, of course, the most important can't be bought : passion, creativity, faith and grace stay beyond any marketplace and that makes me wonder... let me go back my initial subject : i heard that PTLE 8.0.5 needs the newest os. is it true ?

10. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker

Felino,Saint & the rest of the gang I look forward to learning a lot from you ladies & gents Thanks in advance for taking time to grace the forum with your knowledge :wow: !

11. Flo

Flo Newbie

@ Saint U should reconsidder. for 1 snow leopard was just updated 2nd u'll run into trouble going straight on lion as it comes. It wont be donemas it comes out and my guess is you're looking for the trouble coming w a new OS. I m facing the same step an will do it now 'cause its gonna be some time till the step to lion is worth it. On the other hand if you re giving the game a pass 'cause you re waiting on hardware prices to drop, newer stuff which isnt ou just yet... its different story and u prolly be all good.

12. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

Flo, there's been some discussions on hackintosh...
    Code:
    http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/forum/6-mac-hackintosh/
    honestly, i don't know anymore. one thing i know for sure, i won't use Win 8. :sad:

13. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

ei this is a nice Thread..

+1 :wink: