Eskmo - 13 Reasons Why soundtrack - Growling bass synth

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by lukeallison, Apr 9, 2017.

1. lukeallison

lukeallison Kapellmeister

I attached a sample I took from the show as I can't identify the actual track name. I'm not sure it was ever released on the OST. How do I get this bass sound? It's growly, gritty and sounds so low but still ambient and sits beautifully in the mix with the pads. I have tried to make this sound in Massive with a sine wave but it just sounds too smooth and not as low-tuned, even though it is. Does that makes sense?

Attached Files:

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I'm just on ear buds so it's tough for me to hear, in addition to already being way beneath the dialog. But it doesn't sound like anything special to me. A triangle or low passed saw wave, maybe some parallel distortion? There seems to be a subtle rhythmic 'beating' to it. The sort of thing you get with the type of effects that cause phase cancellations - chorus, flanger, unison. If I had to guess I'd say there was some very light chorus or unison on it.

4. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I can almost get it on my MS, but not quite. Something about the filter sounds very Moogish to me, and the MS doesn't have a sine wave, so I was using 2 pulse waves. But try 2 ocillators. 1 at 32 feet. The other at 16 or 8 feet, going through a high pass filter with full resonance, and low pass with no resonance, and set them to make a band pass in the low end. Try different waves in the ocillators. Not sure if that helps much, but that's as far as I have time for at the moment.

5. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

lol that bass is so simple you're going to slap yourself when you find out

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. lukeallison

lukeallison Kapellmeister

You don't have a clue.

7. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

lol, quite the contrary... what synths do you own?