Equalizers (Mixing/Mastering)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by mild pump milk, Apr 18, 2015.

1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Many EQs are not here, today I made a lot to classification, added Zynaptiq etc. Sooner will be more updates. This list posted above will be replaced by a file with full classification + other EQs will be added. The list is going to be updated as always as possible. Don't worry. There is a lot of work because of lack of time and a lot of things to be classified and added. This is a large project, useful for many users. And I wish it would be everywhere promoted on many audio engineering forums etc. [I'm dreaming blah blah blah]

2. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Just wanted to know your take on the plugin... Thanks for the reply and your hard work! :wink:

3. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

my favorite eq plugin is: 6144, I use it allmost every time to cream the top and the mids/mid-lows or cutting in the mid highs in vocals, it's cpu is ridiculousy low... it's like hocus pocus :wink:

Man... I don't want to try demo, I certainly can't miss 250$ right now if I like it :bleh:

4. mild pump milk

you can simply download Lindell 6X-500 (CM Edition), sounds not bad
    On forums it has been uploaded days ago. I can send it you

+ its analysis review in VSTPluginAnalyser (youtube)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9KwXkZQwzQ

5. mild pump milk

About one week left for EQ Classification list. Some revisions needed to add extra info, fix/edit classification, add new and old good EQs etc.
    85-90% done. :dancing:

6. Haze

Haze Producer

Much hyperbole is spoken when it comes to equalizers and compressors. Yes, there are some great tools available but these are not what makes or breaks a good production. Yesterday I mixed some recordings of a band using only stock DAW plugins (I won't say which DAW as I don't wish to be drawn into the usual pointless debate about the various merits of different DAWs) for the first time in years. There was no particular logic in the decision, I just started with them and didn't find it necessary to deviate or "explore" possibilities further as they were giving perfectly satisfactory results. As a result of this I actually mixed faster than usual and completed three mixes in a day. The results were fantastic and open sounding, no "artefacts", no cheapness, no struggle.

Why?

Because the band concerned were well rehearsed, had their pre-production polished, had a clear idea of what their sound was and had been recorded correctly.

The moral of the story is that an experienced engineer will more likely produce a top quality mix with whatever tools are available and that really could be simply one equalizer and one compressor...provided you know how to use them. Don't be overly reliant on having a vast array of "weapons" to choose from, simplicity and speed is more often than not a faster route to success than having an armoury available. Learning the principles of audio and training your ears and brain are the best plugins that exist.

7. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

@ Haze

i agree with everything you said :wink: :mates: , but
    a big step to good mixing is a well recorded song\instruments, as you said it had been recorded correctly,
    for sure good ; microfones (positioned correctly) , preamps and converters are a big help to use less eq (not creative equing) when mixing, and achieve good results.

When it comes to record an instrument , one can "eq" with the position of the microphone :wink:

a bit off topic, but just my thoughts

8. Haze

Haze Producer

Not off topic at all Me2audio and that is my point exactly, there are more determining factors in a good recording than the particular equalizers used. Understanding microphone placement and room acoustics are of primary importance with recording...make a mistake at this stage and it CANNOT be undone by any equalizer, get it right and virtually any EQ will suffice. Of course if things are ITB generated it is a slightly different scenario but if anything the need for fancy EQs becomes even less important in that scenario as one is not dealing with "organic" qualities. Personally I'm not of the opinion that preamps and converters make such a huge difference, provided they are of a reasonable quality of course (and nowadays most are), subtle differences granted, but again provided one gets the fundamentals right BEFORE the sound hits the electronics virtually any half decent pre/converter will work.

None of this is to do down a list of quality EQs or suchlike but it is worth noting that honing basic engineering skills has more of an impact on the end result than ANY processing (not creative processing as Me2audio states) that one can apply afterwards.

9. helpout

helpout Guest

I find Acon Digital's Equalize to be hands down the best thing around in mixed phase mode as far as surgical goes, game changer for me *yes*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlubZG4zwVM

10. mild pump milk

Mixed phase means it is something between linear and minimum phase, or maybe linear but with less pre-ringing and more post-ringing like minimum phase has. There are some EQs with Free phase adjustment between linear and minimum phase and anti-minimum like DMG Audio EQuilibrium, 112dB Redline Equalizer, DDMF LP-10, MeldaProduction MFreeformEqualizer, and as I know phase adjustment is in iZotope Ozone 5/6 Equalizer section...

11. helpout

helpout Guest

Gonna try those, I had shootout between usual suspects, but they didn't had a horse for the race so to speak (similar phase mode), if DDMF or Melda delivers, awesome, I still can't justify paying that amount for an EQ, but that mixed phase mode is so worth it, I mean, if nothing comes close for 100 bucks, well, who cares right, money well spent :thumbsup:

12. mild pump milk

112dB Redline Equalizer provides as well:
    free phase, linear, minimum phases
    emulations of classic EQ curves
    saturation amount (transparent without saturation to saturated and driven)
    dynamic equalization mode
    types of equalization (musical, surgical, soft...)
    and more more more more...try...
    I think 112dB EQ is underrated so much, but it is very good.
    Acon EQ is good as well, I like it sometimes. Equilibrium is advanced modern digital classic, there is a looooot (analyzers adjustments, advanced phase adjustments (I have never seen so much phase options); DDMF is transparent, open; Melda is transparent extreme-quality chemistry...they provide more chemical stuff, than surgical :rofl:, though Sound Radix and Zynaptiq are chemisurgical ones as well :D)

13. xsze

xsze Guest

Now I need to try them all :rofl:

Thank you, mild pump milk or just EQ Guru from now on :mates:

Finally got around to test this stuff out, yeah, Acon sounds most natural and introduce way way less latency, they nailed it :thumbsup:

14. sk8816

sk8816 Newbie

I sure do wish someone would put these all together in a bundle I could download so I could casually test them out to see which to purchase.

For real. I'm so lazy.

15. tarik tito

tarik tito Newbie

thanks but tha t a lot of and I am a little confused :woot:

16. exile4u

exile4u Noisemaker

As a newbie, who is just learning the ropes, I think FabFilter Pro-Q2 is great.

17. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

Are we done with this project...? I am more interested in freewares in this list. I see some freeware names in main list and but I don't know in which category they'll fall.

I must appreciate this effort. It takes too much time and energy. Best of luck. :bow:

18. mild pump milk

in progress. just now I have no time...I suppose 97% it will be posted in March. But I'm afraid - it will be discontinued, because a lot of EQs out a year.

19. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

Thanks for updating about status. The list itself is very good in its present condition. I am thankful for that also.

20. JayMixx

JayMixx Newbie

I like Brainworx Eq, NI Passive EQ