EQ with auto-gain for Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by towerdefense, Jun 28, 2023.

1. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2023
  3. paul_audioz

paul_audioz Ultrasonic

Does it has to be native Linux plugin? I'm running Linux Reaper in conjunction with Wine and I can get many windows plugins to run. For example Fabfilter plugins like Q3 that has autogain.

4. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

Yes, native Linux.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

6. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

I found one!
    https://audioassault.mx/products/iq505
    Quick review: Most noticeable thing in an EQ curve analyzer is that the bells seem to transform into a shelf when going up to a higher frequency
    upload_2023-6-30_11-25-51.png
    upload_2023-6-30_11-26-13.png

I can't tell if this is some sort of anti-cramping algorithm or if it's just how the filters work or a combination of the two. Either way, it doesn't produce that harsh resonance that cramping bells typically produce. It honestly sounds pretty nice. It's almost definitely a parallel EQ, not just because the curves seem to react to eachother in a funny way but because of the per-band saturation. The filters in general are very unique and produce a nice musical sound.
    The AGC is static like SlickEQ M or Pro Q-3 (so it's done the right way)
    Seems really good guys! Not sure about aliasing, but if there is I doubt it'd be noticeable since the saturation seems very light, and you can just disable it anyways.

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

I was curious so I just tested Audio Assault's IQ 505.
    The good thing is, downloading the demo is as easy as can be. It runs for 15 minutes, after that you have to load (not download) the plugin again.
    So much for the positive aspects.

It's highly responsive to the input level:
    Sine wave peak -18dB
    [​IMG]

Sine peak -40dB (output manually compensated)
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, it produces an infinite number of harmonics which leads to aliasing. Sadly, it's only compatible to 44.1 and 48kHz.

Also, the curves are a bit strange. High shelf -12dB is no typo, what you see it the resonant bump.
    Additionally the bell freqs (100Hz) are not precise (+/-12 are set to small bell)
    [​IMG]

8. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

The high shelf seems buggy when using the wide Q option. It randomly turns into a boost when cutting, definitely not good. Works fine when using the sharper Q. The low shelf seems a lot better in this department.
    As for the imprecise bell filter frequency; personally I don't care. I think your ears will naturally compensate for its inaccuracy. EQ'ing by ear and all.

Edit: The high shelf is also buggy (or just unintuitive?) with sharp Q when at max frequency. Either boosting or cutting basically does nothing, it's like the very start of the high/low shelf but that's it. Nothing audible really.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2023
  9. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

https://distrho.sourceforge.io/ports.php Found Luftikus ported to Linux (VST2 & LV2)! This has a pretty nice auto-gain. These guys also have ported a lot of other open source plugins to Linux. Enjoy! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2023
  10. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I guess it's a parallel design? Parallel filter interactions quickly get weird.

11. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

That's part of the appeal of parallel filters...they sort of lean into weird sounding curves you otherwise likely wouldn't try/get with a serial EQ. However, the design of the audio assault EQ is just flawed, or downright buggy. I would've bought it since it recently went on sale for $5, however, without a fix for some of its less desirable behavior I won't budge.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2023
  12. ptepper

ptepper Kapellmeister

I have a bunch of their plugins, most of them half-baked. Head Crusher is the only one I use regularly. It's a very powerful saturator.

13. Sanskritter

Sanskritter Ultrasonic

I always found Jamin excellent, using the Jack Audio Connection Kit Linux is great for audio if you use a realtime kernel.