Entry level gear for vocalists

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by bigboobs, Jun 13, 2022.

1. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Hi guys,

nowadays, in 2022, if someone wanna start singing, or well let's say starting as vocalist :D, what gear would you recommend to start with?

Price is important! There is no need for highend gear, and yes, there are compromises that have to be made, but if you don't have a big budget, you simply don't have a big budget :D
    It shouldn't exceed 300€ at all.

There are 3 components to be bought:
    * Audio interface
    * Closed headphone
    * Microphone

So, I'd go for Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 (higher priced) or Behringer U-Phoria UM2 (cheapest possible), any closed headphone which is available (most ppl have something like that), but the microphone, I'm stuck. I don''t want to go for USB mics, because it's a pain to make it work with ASIO, and ASIO4ALL can be pita for noobs, and direct monitoring via audio interface is also not possible, so please just recommend xlr/jack mics!

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

FROM SHURE AND FOCUSRITE
    MUSICIAN BUNDLE
    Up to Eleven
    $279.00
    https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/bundles/musician-bundle

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

sm58 is 100$, What do you say for those headphones? 30ish. So about 150 for the interface, as part of that deal. How is the UAD Volt 1 or 2? Same general price range of 150-200. I say this, being a prior user of Scarlett 18i20 who would not go back to a consumer grade Focusrite; if at all possible.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

6. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Check out the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Mic Bundle. It's entry level and sounds dead-cheap, but it does the job (for example for demo purposes). But is difficult to resell, because no one wants to buy this garbage.

Alternatives:

If you are willing to add about 200€ on top, so around 500€ in total, you are still in the low-budget segment, but you get some serious sound quality for your money:
    MOTU M2
    Rode NT1
    Superlux HD-660 Pro
    Used NT1 are available from 130€ upwards and MOTU M2 for 170€, so you can definitely get by with a budget of 300€ for both if you search a bit.

A cheap but solid middle ground would probably be:
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen,
    Rode NT1-A
    Superlux HD-660 Pro
    That's about 350€ in total.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  7. Owan

Owan Kapellmeister

The previously mentioned bundles are also great options, so you have plenty to choose from.
    Here's just another option.

My picks would be:

Microphone:
    Rode M2
    It sounds very neutral and uncolored, using a neutral mic makes it easier to EQ your voice the way you want. It's inexpensive and sounds awesome. Give it a try.
    Also it's a handheld condenser mic, so you won't need any extra mounting equipment, but getting a cheap mic stand isn't a problem at all. They are available at around 10 bucks.

Closed-back headphones:
    Audio-Technica M30X or M40X.
    The M30s are a bit cheaper, but I would go for the slight price upgrade to the M40s. Soundwise it's a huge upgrade. They are very neutral and have great isolation from the environment (passive noise cancelling), do not underrate this feature.

Audio interface:
    Honestly, you could go with any interface that has at least one mic input and good preamps.
    Maybe the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen or the Komplete Audio 2 by NI. I would prefer the NI because it has two inputs to record a guitar and a mic simultaneously. Just to have this option, otherwise the Scarlett Solo would be all you ever need.

All these items won't exceed your budget limitation.

Good luck with your choice and have fun!

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Look on eBay or similar.