Ensemble effect

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2poor2, Oct 8, 2014.

1. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

hi guys,

many years ago, i remember most synths, arrangers, etc, had an effect called "ensemble", which was some kind of chorus + reverb/delay + stereo widener . that effect was great on everything with long release times, like pads, etc.

has this effect been replaced by a new different one ? or maybe each daw has choosen a different name for it ?

are there any Ensemble vst plugins, or something that looks or sounds like an ensemble effect ?
    any ideas ?

thanks in advance

3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Well you can generally find something like that in most decent synths in the effects section (Rob Papen's Predator for example). Oftentimes you might find it as a setting on a Chrous effect like Diva has where you can select from X (don't remember the first option), Dramatic or Ensemble. Though it isn't a general ensemble effect you should check out Acon Digital's Multiply which is like a chorus without the comb filter effects of most chorus units thanks to it's phase randomizing filter. It's really great to thicken instruments out so give it a shot. Winner of KVR's Developer Challenge for 2014.

4. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ McCookie,

It exists several (some old) FREE VST Plugins that were created for that purpose. Among these, you can find :

* WOK 'TenC' & '100CC' (FREE)
    Also their 'VDimension' and 'CromFX Vintage Effects', but these are not normally Free ! :rofl:
    * Synthescience 'Symphonic Ensemble' (FREE)
    * Trevor Magnusson 'Clone Ensemble' (usually not Free !)
    * Plug&Mix 'Chorus Ensemble' (included in their 'V.I.P. Bundle') (usually not Free too !)
    * Leslie Sanford 'Sanford Super Chorus' (usually not Free too !)

and one that can certainly makes your happiness (mainly due to its name, but above all, the reputation of its 'original' Hardware counterpart) :
    Universal Audio 'Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble'.

Still not FREE !!! *no* Its price is about $99.

Another solution could be, in the case that you can have access to the 'VST' Plugin (FX) Version of a particular 'VSTi' Plugin (Instrument), to route your Audio through its FX Section.
    As an example, Native Instruments 'REAKTOR' is provided in both VSTi (Instrument) and VST (FX) Versions.
    I'm pretty sure that other Plugins can act similarly as well, permitting you to only route your Audio through their 'FX Section' solely.
    I don't remember exactly right now, but it seems to me that the 'AAS (Applied Acoustics Systems) String Studio VS-1' VSTi is also available as VST (FX). This one contains a rather good 'Ensemble/Chorus'. Their 'Ultra Analog VA-1' VSTi also exists in 'VST' Format (or at least you can input some Audio to be processed through it), and it also contains a FX Section of high quality.

The same should be applicable with your usual VSTi that can permit you to input some kind of Audio and to process it through their FX Sections solely... :wink:

__________________________________________________________________​
    ADDED AFTERWARDS :

In case that you may plan to use 'Native Instruments REAKTOR', you can find the EXCELLENT 'Musicrow Golden Ensembles 3' to use within it.
    Most of the included FXs (to not say all !) are just... AMAZING !!! *yes* :wink:

'Musicrow Golden Ensembles 3' for REAKTOR

and particularly the following ones (as it's the main purpose of your Request) :

'Vintage Chorus'

'Crow Ultra Chorus'

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Yes Reaktor FX are sick and they can go from the usual to the bizarre and experimental. It's a powerhouse so check it out. I really like the Molekular expansion developed by Native Instruments and Zynaptiq. Gives you access to dozens of different effects. :grooves:

6. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Mainly, most of phaser, chorus or flager.
    I love the free Ultrafhazer (Virtual Crations)that automates parameters with different lfos and have another freebies... I already said that I really love it>
    My other favorites:
    Ensemble from LOGIC
    Chorx from Xils Labs
    UHBIK from UHE
    You can check also
    D16 silver line
    Tal Chorus (old school but I prefer the news)
    Also from guitars sims: Amplitube and Guitar RIG :wink:
    EDIT
    remembered now that some sofisticated delays and revebers do, to name:
    Fabfileter timeless 2
    Valhalla UberMod

7. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

wow guys, so many answers in so little time, i don't know how to thank you. :mates:

8. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ McCookie,

That's what we call the 'Butterfly Effect' (ou 'Effet Papillon' in French) !!! :dancing: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

For reference and according to 'Wikipedia' :

The butterfly effect is the sensitive dependency on initial conditions in which a small change at one place in a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state. The name of the effect, coined by Edward Lorenz, is derived from the theoretical example of the details of a hurricane (exact time of formation, exact path taken) being influenced by minor perturbations equating to the flapping of the wings of a distant butterfly several weeks earlier... :wow:

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Not quite the same thing, but Steve Duda and Xfer records have a Dimension Xpander, which is like the dimension effect in NI's massive.... more of a stereo spreader, but here is the link, and it is free!:

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1227

and then there is the TAL Chorus LX (which is emulated of the Juno 60 Chorus... also free: http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-chorus-lx

most ensemble fx you would see on old synths (or string machines) were generally different delay lines or chorus's with a modulated LFO at different depths to give it a wider sound...depending on how "rich" you wanted the effect, it could use up to 8 discrete processes making for that great widening thickening sound... At first it was used to "beef" up some pretty weak oscillators or cover for some divide down technology etc... (kinda like the Roland D-50 slapped reverb etc on all their patches to make up for what some perceived to be the thinness of the oscillators or partials....)

There are more expensive options as well,... but what I listed was free!

10. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Has a nice "Rhodes Chorus" preset.

11. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

tomorrow, i will have to download some apps you've mentioned, to check how they sound... ;)

12. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Blue Cat also has a free Chorus plug-in.

13. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ McCookie,

For this, you can use the 'ReWire' Protocol (by 'Propellerhead') to route the Audio Output of your favourite LOGIC Plug-Ins to another of your DAWs that also supports that 'ReWire' Protocol. This way, you can process your Audio Material with a particular Plug-In which counterpart or equivalent can't be found on any other of your DAWs, or even as a separate VST Plugin. Of course, the same logic applies with other DAWs as well (as in your example : 'Cubase' VST Plugins), as long that they support the 'ReWire' Protocol. *yes*

For info, some of the most usual DAWs supporting the 'ReWire' Protocol :

Ableton Live
    Adobe Audition
    Arturia (Storm)
    Cakewalk Sonar
    Cubase
    Digital Performer
    Fairlight (Xynergi)
    FL Studio
    GarageBand
    Logic
    Pro Tools
    Samplitude
    Sibelius2
    Sonar
    Soundtrack Pro

It seems to me that some (simple) Cubase VST Plugins are available as 'UNLOCKED' Versions, thus able to be used outside of 'Cubase' within any other DAW that supports the 'VST' Format.
    If I well remember, a few months ago, in this 'Brother's Site' (aka 'AudioZ'), were posted some Cubase 7 or 7.5 Plugins that are UNLOCKED. It must be the works of either 'Team CHAOS' or 'Team R2R'. You should to check this fact... *yes*

ADDED AFTERWARDS :

A clue about these 'UNLOCKED' Steinberg Cubase VST Plugins : simply launch a Search for 'Steinberg Cubase 7.5 VST Plugins Bundle' ('Team R2R') where you know... and you'll find something interesting for you ! *yes* :wink:

14. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

I had no idea the Boss CE-1 was so coveted until recently.... I had one boxed up that I have had forever.... unless it has been stolen, time to take out.. ..... Yes, the eventide h3000 trick of detuning each side +/- 10 cents or so works well, but more discrete, I find that better on vocals, the free ultra channel eventide gave away a few months ago I believe can get close to that... but again, for an "ensemble"... the Roland Dimension D is amazing, haven't tried the UAD version, but I have been burnt buying their expensive dongles in the past and have kind of boycotted them (yeah i know... slighting them in any sense is like taking on ableton or apple fanboi's ((and an aficionado of both)) ).... for "cheap" hardware type versions, try the symphonic preset on the ubiquitous Yamaha spx series (or rex-50).. or pretty much every box they put out... not bad...haven't found a decent software emulation of that yet... but valhalla uber mod can do some great stuff...

15. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ McCookie,

The following can also be of great interest for you, but it's a 'Hardware Unit' (Stompbox Pedal) instead :sad:

T.C. Electronic 'Corona' ('Dimension M' TonePrint)

[​IMG]

The vintage Boss Dimension C stompbox is one of the weirdest pedals ever made. With no knobs whatsoever (just 4 preset buttons), it didn't give users a lot of options when it came to dialing in a sound. But that didn't stop L.A. studio guitar players from placing them on their pedalboards (or rather, rack trays) to get that famous lush 80s clean chorus sound. The Dimension M TonePrint is a recreation of that classic pedal, right down to the preset concept. Use the depth control to toggle between the four "virtual presets" of the Dimension C. Turned all the way back, you'll get preset one, 10 o'clock is preset two, 2 o'clock is preset three and cranked will give you preset four. Unlike the the original Dimension C, you can actually subtly change the chorus sound by using the speed and tone control. But to capture the sound of the original pedal, set the speed and tone at noon, crank the FX level and use the depth knob to toggle through the presets.

Due certainly to the rarity of finding an original 'BOSS Dimension C' (but certainly also its price even as a 'second hand'), it can be a very good choice. *yes*
    You can find here and there over Internet (or even on 'YouTube') some Audio Demos where you can listen that 'replica' which is really convincing !!! :wow: :wink:

Its price round about $130

16. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

wow, there are tons of ensemble-chorus plugs, at the end.

Cat, blue cat audio chorus sounds good, that's true :wink:

i guess if someone is looking for an ensemble plugin, this thread will give him ALL the info he needs.

Regarding Rewire, basically every daw out there supports it, i see. EVEN logic :wow:

i have an old lexicon mpx100 somewhere in a box.. it had some cool reverb, chorus effects. but like all hardware: forget about using several instances at the same time.

17. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

cool, haven't seen that! As I am not going down the UAD rabbit hole, I should check it out.... thank for letting me know of it's existence!

18. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ McCookie,

In case that you'll perhaps check your Article once again, maybe you can find your happiness, and FOR FREE !!!, with the following 'VST Plugin' posted these last days on this 'Brother's Site' (aka 'AudioZ') :

Loomer Manifold STANDALONE VST RTAS v1.5.0 (x86 x64 WORKiNG-ASSiGN)

[​IMG]

Manifold is a software audio effect processor that enhances an audio signal, producing a fuller, livelier, bigger sound. Input signals are split into as many as 20 individual voices, each of which are detuned, placed around the stereo panorama, and recombined with stunning results. Flexible controls mean Manifold is capable of producing a wide range of effects; from subtle modulations that add interest to lifeless sounds, to extreme detuning that fattens the weakest of input sources.

You know where to find it if you think that it can suit you... :wink: