Regarding Politics, Conspiracy Theories, and Controversial Topics!

Discussion in 'Forum News and Updates' started by ned944, Jan 26, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ned944

ned944 Moderator Staff Member

@Sylenth.Will.Fall I abhor anything resembling Censorship, but also the nonsense, of childish people that can't participate in a conversation without resorting to yelling, name-calling, and ultimately insulting another member here in a thread. It always happens here and results in numerous reports from multiple members in every thread of this nature. Free Speech and Expression are very important for me and I try to be as open as possible on that as most of you know. but a line has to be drawn and that is what I have done.

It is my job to moderate this forum, and currently, this is the most disruptive problem that plagues our forum. So is best to eliminate the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

people saying that music and politics are linked didn't get the point of the topic. It's not about the political message of something like a song, but it's the discussion of certain topics taken to an inimaginable level of stupidity and blandness for its own sake.
    If I want to read about 9/11 or negationism I'd go somewhere else, but if somebody points out how a song portrays the current state of the world and how the message is conveyed in the song I could accept it, even if I'd keep myself away from some kinds of conversations here. After all this is an audio forum, not a philosophy or politic one, and as far as I'm concerned I'm attracted to musical political messages just as much as I am to somebody rapping about how good the pussy is.

Come on guys.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Agreed ned944!!! Any chance you could add this too:

"Enough with trolling, threats, calling people this and that if they dont agree, gang bulling etc etc"

That would be nice too!!

Cheers

4. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

No matter what actions you take, you are never going to stop people from being fools. I do not read the topics you are referring to. I simply skip over them. I do not comment on them, because I could care less. The people that respond only feed the attention that the OP's of that dreck crave so badly. If you keep responding to them, it will only get worse. Even a thread like this stimulates their ego.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I totally agree westfinch - I really admire and respect your opnion, period!

But if that strategy should work means: All should do the same as you do and Im not sure thats realistic.

6. G String

G String Rock Star

What, even when it wins elections? ;)

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

It is not my place, nor my forum to make the rules. With that said, art is politics, and music has been the most vocal art in politics since the dawn of mankind. As i said in a personal discussion, the biggest revolutions started with a song in the lips of the oppressed. Moreover, when you answer a call for help thread, in a way you enforce a certain politic. Be it positive or negative, it is there.
    As musicians and artists it our most sacred duty to criticize authority at the highest level, to advertise and practice progressive and revolutionary thinking as much as possible. For a better world. Because the people look up to us and we can be their peaceful voice, through our art.
    But this cannot be achieved without friction, in our case, verbal friction, confrontation and opinion clash. All these will always be there even in the most innocent threads. So my question is simple. Why not let the "blood" run man? After all its just one thread. If people want to "virtually" kill each other with words on that thread let it be imho. In this virtual environment where most are anonymous, this is perhaps the only way to truly understand who you are dealing with. That is if you are interested of course. I agree calling offensive names isn't the best example of a civilized community. But then again if you are not free to speak your mind, how free is a virtually free environment when it actually abides to the same rules that we oppose? Just food for thought, thank you for your time

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Good. As you mentioned, there are thousands upon thousands of websites whose sole purpose is to discuss politics, conspiracies, etc. I never quite understood why this site attracted so many people willing to wage political war at a site specifically designed to deal with music, audio, and all of its offshoots. Will this site finally live up to its title and be a politics-free zone? Will there be a lasting peace in this valley? I guess we'll just have to wait and see... In any event, good start, Ned...

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

This is non sense, why people keep saying this?
    So if I'm in a golf club I'm allowed to talk only about golf, even when we're drinking at the bar?
    "Oh what, how you dare talk about anything other than golf!"

Keep in mind, I most of the time avoid the threads, but this reasoning has no sense at all

10. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@taskforce
    The point is, that some people here used their political opinions or their conspiracy theories just to disturb and harm the community. Not to have an intellectual discourse.
    The forum is about making music, not discussing the political implications of music or bare politics.

So, I am fine with the rule.

Let the blood flow in other forums :yes:
    If there is a need for dicussions on musical-political opinions I'm quite sure there is a forum on the internet for it. If not, everyone is free to setup and operate one.

11. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Would it be ok bashing with my clubs on other golfers heads claiming it is part of my way of golfing? Is that another way of censorship if statutes forbid that? :no:
    it's just one of the necessary rules.
    As is Ned's

12. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

It's not nonsense. People at a golf course, tend to talk about golf. When I go into a "themed" website (the theme here is audio/music) I fully expect to discuss music or its related topics. I sure as hell did not join "AUDIOSEX" to discuss the latest political happenings, or the latest alien invasion. Why can't some people understand that? Also, you know damn well that political or religious discussions inevitably end up in the gutter. People get visceral, and will never engage in civilized discourse when these topics descend into the picture. I totally agree with the moderator, because if I want to engage in a 'political' war, I go and sign onto my Twitter account.

13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Backtired

This is not a golf club or a bar where ppl meet face to face - we´re internet!!!! Remember?

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I had no idea,i thought we were on boat trip, phloopus.
    [​IMG]

15. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I'm not talking about bashing other people lol, i'm just saying an off topic every once in a while is totally ok.

to the others: again you can just ignore the threads, as most smart people do. if you feel so attracted and the urge to visit them and post in them, there's something wrong with you, not with people who discuss them. but whatever, it's not like i care, i actually can decide for myself if i want to open a thread or not

16. mrfloyd

mrfloyd Producer

You can't prove that. In most cases I witness that those who create such threads believe in them and fight vigorously. Weather they are right or wrong is irrelevant, they stand for what they think and this is totally OK since nobody is forcing anyone to participate.

In any particular society, club or interest group people will by their nature start discussing plethora of things because they have other interests as well and they like the place where they are. It makes no sense to ask them to leave the place they like and join whatever foreign group of people just to discuss a topic that resonated with them for a moment and then when another topic enters their mind, should they search for another place?
    How come those topic attracts in so many cases such big interest from those who agree and those who do not disagree?
    Seconds of our lives is the most expensive currency, yet why even those who think that it is absolutely insane that anyone would believe in particular topic can't resist and spend minutes and hours of their life arguing?
    How can I run latest R2R version of Kontakt with non R2R version or older version is very fine and helpful topic but it is not fun, it isn't event you'd consider hanging around with others once you find how to do it.

Life is challenging, please do not censor it. Sanction those who are aggressively disrespectful to members and everything will be better.
    And this is the way to help individual growth.

And BTW how can you hurt anybody by sharing opposite belief on whichever topic?

So the question for moderators;
    I respect your place, I do not insult, I even do not start any of so called controversial topics.
    From time to time I would just join existing discussion just to find myself cut off in the middle of argument by closed and than deleted thread and sometimes there weren't even awful personal attacks present at that stage of discussion, at for example 9th page when discussion cooled a bit.

To me it doesn't feel right at all so the question is;
    Why don't you and why didn't you instead of closing threads sanction just those members who went with personal punches bellow belt instead of killing the whole thread? Do you think it wouldn't work?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

I don't understand your argument the slightest bit. Let's forget that a decision has already been made by SAiNT (no politics or conspiracies on audiosex) and in this topic again stated by Ned. Let's forget about that for a second. Your point then is that you want people to create topics not suiting an audio forum and that you bash those people who complain or report such topics. What a nonsense.

Do you visit your bathroom if you want to eat something? Do you enjoy if unknown people break into your house and party, while you want to sleep? No, don't answer. Those are rhetorical questions, only meant to make clear what you expect from this forum. They are not meant to start a discussion, since a decision has been made and you can either accept it and enjoy the audio related topics. Or you don't accept it. Then you have to leave the forum. Simple as that.

18. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

you completely missed what i meant to say. it's ok though, whoever wanted to understand already understood.

19. ned944

ned944 Moderator Staff Member

@Backtired I understand people can ignore, but inevitably that doesn't always work and someone gets upset, and then it ends in the same result anyways, so it is easier to enforce the rule than to rely on the hopes that everyone will just ignore the topic if they aren't interested and want to avoid becoming involved in a politically or controversially charged discussion. It just doesn't happen that way. Faith in a well-behaved discussion and out come just does not happen, and always turns vicious.

Clearly, the majority of members here realize what I am talking about, and have experienced the toxic discussions this has caused. Politic and music have long been combined together, but the pure arguing of a political position is not necessary here. If you want to write a song and have it critiqued, on your skills, or mixing, and it has a political message, go for it. but the music, not the message is the reason you should want to be here.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

For me it is common knowledge that many here agree to voluntarily neglect seeing, which i can say i have np with, as this is mainly a music tech forum. But think for one second that when you criticize a soft company's upgrade policy you are actually talking politics. Policy and politic share the same root in language.
    I don't see how on one hand, opinions in words can truly harm a community, however polarized they maybe, and on the other hand, if what you mention has been proved upon occasion, why these people haven't been isolated or banned from this forum.
    I am aware that this forum is followed by a lot of minors or very young people. Imho there should be something like an "x rated thread section" that could allow the ones who want to keep discussing to do so, in a separate section of the forum and let everyone else in peace as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List