Enough is Enough... Buy it!!!, or You will be considered an arshole

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Rhodes, Jun 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Not directly music-software related, but this Dude really overrides a paradigm with his action and he also is the creator of "paradigm" :winker:
    https://torrentfreak.com/indie-game-developer-shares-free-keys-on-the-pirate-bay-170626/
    Jacob Janerka, developer of the popular indie adventure game 'Paradigm,' recently spotted a cracked copy of his title on The Pirate Bay. But, instead of being filled with anger and rage while running to the nearest anti-piracy outfit, Janerka decided to reach out to the pirates. Not to school or scold them, but to offer a few free keys. From a report: "Hey everyone, I'm Jacob, the creator of Paradigm. I know some of you legitimately can't afford the game and I'm glad you get to still play it :D," Janerka's comment on TPB reads. Having downloaded many pirated games himself in the past, Janerka knows that some people simply don't have the means to buy all the games they want to play. So he's certainly not going to condemn others for doing the same now, although it would be nice if some bought it later. "If you like the game, please tell your friends and maybe even consider buying it later," he added.

That's what I meant before and what I call a professional attitude. :wink:

2. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

You buy what you use, that's good, and that's what I wish everybody would do. As far as Audioz go, you have a point, "let's not forget why we're all here" etc, I get you, but let us not forget what downloading implies, is all I'm saying.

3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE! It's a Secret Squirrel club that you can't get in unless you gather ALL the nuts. And now, when you get in, there's limited return.
    I make music because I am interested and passionate about it. It's one area of study in which you will always be learning.

4. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

I read this with etears running down my screen because if you knew how time consuming and difficult it is to program and produce games you'd know how fucking cool this guy is. There is no self-righteous response to getting pirated shit. Be as the native Americans and humbly respect the things you use.

5. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

@digitaldragon
    I love that with music one will live and learn.
    And @tooloud
    It's because mediocrity will always lead the charts. Not talent. Jazz and all the other niche genres where talent rules, simply aren't a cash cow. And talent unfortunately does not equal financial success or wealth in this business. I know some dudes, who make as much money with shirts and stuff as they do with album-sales and they can make a living from that. Well, they also do a lot of live performances.
    Btw. Merchandise in the audio-software world can only get better.
    [​IMG]
    :bleh::bleh::bleh:

6. xanderevo

xanderevo Newbie

Let me tell you something. I never replied to this forum but in some way I feel you din't understand the bigger picture.

In my career I downloaded terabyte of audio warez, ended up selecting and actually buying every software I use now for my productions and for other "artists" spending more than 40k €.

If you are born as a rich kid, you don't have to crawl on sites like this, let me explain you what is the real purpose of teams which lets you use softwares before you buy them.

First of all as I said, I spent (and partially wasted) tons of euros on softwares, and half of them are not even worth the purchase.

If you are a talented guy, you have the chance to actually innovate or produce music being not able to get your hands on software because of money will lend you to limits which will sandbox your creativity.

That being said after you choose which software is for you, and your musical style you will automatically support developers by buying the stuff you use, period.

Because if you do and they of course deserve to be supported (not like crysonic), they'll improve the software around your needs (xfer melda f.e).

If you are instead neglected to be able to get your hands on programs and understand if they are for you or not as a student, amateur or simply because of money, then you can't become a possibile client for that brand in any way.

I'm not saying piracy is a good advertising way for developers, but without it half of them would be just suck into a dark void of abandonware.

It's about you then to support and buy stuff
    from them, and this is the most important part. If you are successful or not that will not matter.

Everyone has to choose its weapon, and at the end support its further development.

Take the sister site as it is, a chance you have to actually discover new horizons, which were unreachable by most years ago.

Peace;

A.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

I'm not mad at this at all fellow like minded jedi!

8. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I may not be the oldest person on this site, but I'm sure at the 'expiry date' end of the spectrum. From the 70's on, I figured I've played over a thousand live gigs. My band was signed to a major label, I had a publishing contract. I learnt sound engineering from a guy that worked with George Martin at Abbey Road on many Beatles sessions. I have owned and operated successful recording studios when I had a Studer 24 track. I always could make a buck. Not a lot, but I got by. Then the industry went digital. It didn't kill off my business overnight, but it saw the rise of a new kind of music where the DJ was the star. Then they started calling themselves producers. Now there's little use for me and my well equipped studio because every kid without a clue has a pirated copy of Live on their 'gaming PC' and thinks stringing loops together makes them a composer. A composer can write melodies, chord structures, a middle eight and lyrics that are about something other than "baby, I gonna love you forever" Why did the world collectively mourn the death of David Bowie? Because we may never again find somebody who could write Life On Mars, and that's because the music business has no vision. It wants instant hits that give a million downloads one week and are forgotten along with the artist the next. I really wish today's generation could understand the thrill of bringing home the latest Led Zeppelin LP and opening the gatefold, reading the lyrics included in a 12 page booklet and knowing your were hearing something timeless.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  9. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

I don't mean to keep chiming in on this thread but wanted to respond here. I think I'm confused about your idea regarding loops and ableton killing the industry, its not like all of these people are making great music and lots of money. Your Studer 24 is just as viable today as anytime sound-wise, and all of the pro DJ's who write use pro studios. What killed the music industry was the mp3 and the internet, which hurt record labels who were no longer able to afford studios like before so a lot of them closed. Audio recording is pretty much still less then 100 years old, technology grew rapidly in the past couple decades which opened the door for more people to experiment, ..however the bedroom Ableton DJ's you mentioned probably aren't going to get anywhere without establishing image and performing live the classic way, which was something Bowie knew was all too important as well. When the Stooges first started they admit they sounded terrible but at the time there were only a handful of bands out period so they survived. The more intellectual music you like is still being made en mass but the stuff that is making money and radio play are what consumers are buying for their kids etc. A good song is always going to be a good song which isn't as common as you think.

10. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Fully agree with this but would add "... buying it in the moment you can afford it". Because then the developer will get customers that wouldn't exists without copied material.

Another point of view: I, perosnally, buy the software for my professional uses and such titles I frequently use and such I really like and this way would like to help the developer ("rent to buy" is a great idea btw)
    BUT I download cracked software because using authorized software turns out to be a pain in the ass when it comes to reinstalling.

Those shitty homemade authorizations only ANNOY the legit customers. Everytime I change the machines I have lics for, I have to do a lot of manual work so that I can use my paid software again. This Installing-mailing-begging-authorizing madness costs me a week everytime I change my hardware. This is only annoying for the legit customer.
    The others just Install. Period.
    Why can't this industry (software in general, audio SW in sprcial) at least reach an agreement to use ONE SINGLE protection scheme (affordable for the poorest developer), say one type of dongle and restitute the dongle in the case it is lost or damaged.

If it's easier to use cracked software then legit, then a lot of people will stay away from buying software.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  11. Reza73

Reza73 Kapellmeister

I just pay for it when I make lot of money whit a software or plugin
    until that day we love R2R :rofl:

12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Those $10 a week at the train station is ok dude :rofl:

13. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Basically your times were better, the future is shit, the past is gold...
    i love 90s trax and mostly dislike music of today, hell I don't even like technology much lol, but... sorry mate you sound old, tired and just said the usual stuff you'd hear from a guy who has nothing left to offer and instead decides to complain and say "the factz", which in your head are "my times were better!".

hey, no disrespect or anything, just saying you should try to see stuff from another perspective, instead you're stuck in the past.

14. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@Backtired: Quite normal, someone finds the time great when he was young. But it's annoying when everyone - from a certain age on - looks backwards. That's not a question of taste, it's a question of getting old in the mind. :guru:

What would Mozart say about the 70ies songs or regarding texts Goethe: "All crap" I fear :)
    (btw for me, another Shakespear or Schumann would be more appreciated than a Bowie , longer texts and longer scores :bleh:)

More insteresting would be, what the people of 2100 think about today's music.

15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I agree but only in the surface. Looking deeply into this you may find that before all that, it is the music industry who shot themselves on the foot and now are bleeding to a slow death. The multi-national giants tried to kill vinyl all together in a combined strategic move, closing down most vinyl factories all over the globe so they could sell much cheaper plastic cds for more money, with the excuse that digital sounds "cleaner" and "better". Which at least is far from the absolute truth. What they did not count in for was that digital media can have 1 to 1 exact copies which don't even need specific "musical" physical media to be played apart from a chip that can decode that data and some dirt cheap computer storage media. And then came the mp3 and fast internet and it was the final blow. But thinking about it again, it's not the re-writable cd or the mp3 or the internet. It is the people who disrespect their fellow people who create music. Should i need mention how art is so important to civilization anywhere, so everybody should have a moral obligation to support the content creators, the artists etc etc?... It kinda seems to me that digital media of any sort has long now lost its relevance for the average consumer, with the usual phrase being : "why pay for it when you can have it for free".
    So to sum it, greed from the big industry sharks brought digital media as the only mainstream consumer media, and it is the consumer greed that killed it in the rebound.
    And now, tape maybe very hard to find, but you 'll see that not only vinyl has survived but now it has equal or more sales in most parts of the world than the cd. This to me, proves that mainstream music and its media sales based on the masses' exploitation "fell overnight" but the artists and small labels that cater for their listeners with vinyl releases if only but a few ones, still have a reason to be proud for and some sales to keep them doing what they love.
    Cheers mates :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

I agree but as someone who had to drive 10 crates of vinyl across a country, and not to mention store the stuff its not the easiest platform to handle. Digital was inevitable unfortunately..

17. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I'm sorry I have experienced a long life in the music industry. I have no right express my thoughts and share them with fellow musicians. You are quite right and music should be for young people only. I'm sorry my story annoyed and bored you.

18. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I can only learn from you mate,
    but not with this terrible attitude

19. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Okay, I'll drop the attitude. I will admit I am getting fed up with music and it is making me bitter. I actually see a psychiatrist because it's all I've ever done and I don't know what to do anymore. I spent my life making music and I have been given nothing in return. My purpose was not to place my experiences ahead of anybody else's. Things weren't better in my day, they were just different. I would have loved to experienced music in the 60's, but I was too young. I was lucky enough to be at the start of the rave scene and got some trance tracks out and one of the best moments of my life was hearing my song on the dance floor. I don't think I'm living in the past, it's more like the present has overtaken me. Now I have to walk the Damn dog and it's minus four outside. Yep. Grumpy old man alert. Peace and respect to you all.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Would love to hear some of your stuff. seeing you're from Australia, I reckon you're familiar with Mystic Force/russel Hancorne? a few of his tunes were legendary over here and some are even still being played
    i'm not going off topic anymore, but please drop me a message, cheers
    have fun