"Emergency Transmission" - let me know what you think please!

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by marcinbabelek, Jul 13, 2016.

1. marcinbabelek

marcinbabelek Newbie

Hi, I've finished some tracks recently and this is one of them:) Let me know what you think please! As far as I've seen, this is the forum with producers of every kind of music possible, so I hope someone will like this as well - it's quite heavy [​IMG]

I will aprecciate comments here or on soundcloud or youtube (I also uploaded other tracks on SC and YT if somebody would be interested).

Regards!

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. marcinbabelek

marcinbabelek Newbie

Any opinions? :)

4. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Nice track, unpretentious. Could pack some more punch though, especially the live drums in there.
    Reminds me back of my new beat days back in the early nineties.
    Luiz.

5. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I like this one. Could easily be used in an action movie or a shoot-em-up video game. You could make a lot of money by making music for video games. Some reports mention $140,000 annual incomes to (advanced level!) video game scorers. There's a market for this stuff, believe it or not. It could be a lot more punchier on the drums, though. The kick drum could use some more presence to not be diminished by the sub bass. I have a feeling our ex-moderator @Catalyst would have liked this track a lot.
    Other than that, the quality is good. The guitars are nice & "chunky", overall good stuff.

6. marcinbabelek

marcinbabelek Newbie

@artwerkski @Impressive
    thanks a lot for your opinions - not many people have heard it so every opinion is weight in gold (or however you say it in english ;) )

The drum originally had more middle tons and less bass, so it was more "sharp" and "punchy" I bielieve - actually it was changed by the guy to whom I sent the track to give some final mix / mastering (sadly, I've got only headphones) and somehow I left it like this. Seems like I should stick to the original assumptions next time :D

Nice you Impressive say the guitars are good, 'cause they were recorded clean, than tuned down quite much and put through VST amp-sim - so I was wondering if they don't sound fake.

About the money: yea, I wouldn't mind getting 1/4 of this for making music :D I heard there are those libraries when you can put your tracks for people making ads/movies/games and you can be given some good offer from time to time.

I will mark the @Catalyst as well, so maybe he'll listen - I wouldn't mind another opinion ;)

7. agree, this could fit in some games ;)

8. marcinbabelek

marcinbabelek Newbie

Thanks :) So I guess I'll try to write in some game producers forum - or do you know any more effective way to cooperate with them?

9. marcinbabelek

marcinbabelek Newbie

Any other opinions somebody? :)

10. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

Hey mate,

Here's what I like. The drum's are programmed well, I like the vibe you have going on, especially at the end. You have a good grasp of composition, it shows.

Here's some pointers. I have a degree in sound production so I'm not yanking your chain here, don't take it personally, I like the track.

First up look up NY compression, or Parallel Compression to get your drums out from behind those guitars. It desperately needs it, also I'm detecting two things, a lack of mid frequencies, did you scoop the mids? Also there's a distinct lack of space, what I mean by that is the track sounds very dry. A touch of reverb and delay in places would help give a more 3D sound to the track. So as a rule if you want something to sound further away in the mix, give it more reverb. I would reverb the snare, the kick (Be careful though, don't reverb low frequencies, just eq the reverb send). And give everything a touch of verb, a nice hall would work. Remember, further away, more verb.

You are on the right track though mate, you can write. That's the hardest part.

11. marcinbabelek

marcinbabelek Newbie

@kjfarrell Thanks a lot for the very informative post and sorry for my late response. I'm glad you like the composition and thanks for pointing out what's wrong with the mix. Actually I noticed the lack of the middle freqencies as well, but I wasn't sure if I'm right - the thing is I don't have any good monitors, only headphones and decent speakers, so what I do is composing and doing some pre-mixes just to send them to another guy whom I pay for finishing the mix. It's good you have pointed it out, so I'll trust my speakers and headphones more next time :)

I didn't noticed the kick is behind the guitars. If I was finishing it myself I would probably add more "tick" to it and less bass - but I'm not sure if it would make it more audible when the guitars are on. Isn't it like parallel compression would make this "pump up" effect? Or is it used to be used (is that correct in english? :D) like that on a daily basis by proffesionals to get the drum from behind?

About reverb - actually I wanted the track to be rather dry and raw, so I hardly put any reverb there. I assumed that the mixing guy will put any reverbs if necessery but it looks like he didn't :)

Summing up, it's all that guy's fault! :D And to be serious, thanks for all the tips, I'll try to focus more in this issues nex time.

12. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

Parallel compression is not the same as ducking (some wrongly call it side chaining), Ducking is when you lower the volume in the guitars as the kick hits, if your release is slow you get a pumping effect, which is what you describe.

Parallel Compression is where you send to an auxiliary a copy of your kick and snare. On that auxiliary you compress the hell out of it. You slowly bring the level of the auxiliary up and as if by magic, the kick and snare start to leap out of the screen and into your face as a flurry of awesomeness. It's like a magic, sound gooderer knob.

13. marcinbabelek

marcinbabelek Newbie

@kjfarrell thanks for clearing that up. Yea, I heard about this but - as you said - many people call ducking "side chaining" and that's why I thought that this was what you meant. Anyway, I need to remeber this and tell the guy who's helping me with mixing to use it. Thanks!