ELI5: Reason Rack Extentions vs DAW vst insert

Discussion in 'DAW' started by crawly, Sep 30, 2021.

1. crawly

crawly Newbie

Okay, pretty new to this and seeing a lot of Reason RE (Rack Extensions). I haven't tried Reason yet, just trying to figure it out beforehand. So the rack extensions look like a vst plug-in but called an RE. Can someone explain what is the difference between a RE and a VST plug-in is?

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Well first off, the CV on the back of the VST device is not the same as CV on the back of REs and Reason devices. With a VST, it is more like automation (like when you assign CV via Combinator). The CV modulates the control rather than the parameter behind the control. That is why with a VST device or Combinator programmer, you see the control move.

There is more you can do with CV on the back of REs and Reason devices. The other differences will be integration with Reason's browser, licensing and the sync-all feature you find with REs, and that it fits within the rack and is not accessed via a floating window.

Also with REs, they are future-proofed; meaning they are guaranteed to work in future versions of Reason without updates from the developers. With VSTs, the developer has to maintain them as things such as operating systems progress. Popular names are all pretty good about staying on top of these things. But even many, like iZotope, NI, and others have discontinued popular plugins.

So, as a Reason user, I would always grab the RE. Others who use other DAWs might like to have the VST to use elsewhere. And some developers like Synapse have offered the formats bundled for The Legend (via contacting them with proof of purchase).

Source: https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7501212

4. crawly

crawly Newbie

Ok, well not really as simplistic as was hoping but it helped and set me in the right direction to figure out more. From what I can tell, the rack extensions are Reason's own unique platform for plugins.They're supposed to work seamlessly with Reason in a rack setting with no free floating vst-like window. On the "back side" there are jacks to route control voltage signals to other rack extension to experiment with...stuff.

5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

The vst inside reason you drag and drop into the rack and reason treats it like a rack extension
    upload_2021-10-1_12-49-16.png

Every vst appears like this.

You then click where it says VST Plugin and the plugin pops up

THEN - click on the screenshot icon and the image will appear in place of the VST Plugin text
    - That snapshot will also now appear in the Rack as an image instead of the default great VSTPlugin grey image
    upload_2021-10-1_12-52-28.png

The end result being it still functions exactly as the vst plugin should, but is treated in Reason as a simulated rack extension.The important thing is every function included in the vst works, but the DAW automation you might be used to in your DAW of choice is now controlled by the appropriate Reason automation functions.

upload_2021-10-1_12-53-48.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021

Attached Files:

6. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

*NOTE for PC jbridge users....

I have seen a pile of complaints on multiple sites that jbridge gives random graphic issues in Reason (the GUI).

VST's inside Reason are using something akin to a wrapper. Jbridge is a 64bit wrapper for older 32bit plugins. So basically while not this simple, putting a jbridge vst into Reason is like wrapping a wrapper. Some work great, some, notsomuch.

7. gzilla

gzilla Ultrasonic

- Reason have their own stock instrument & effect like other DAWs that cannot use outside Reason.
    - Earlier Reason not support VST (Yes, I mean 17 years from Reason 1-9.5) they implement Rack Extension format for 3rd party plugin to use with their close environment (Yes it has different in detail between RE and VST like CV support etc.)
    - Now you can use both above in your DAW of choice via Reason Rack Plugin vst. But you have to install the Reason program anyway.

8. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

Just highjacking your thread for a Reason plugin related question:
    Is there a way to skip the "Welcome to Reason"/"Continue without these devices" window? It would be great if this didn't pop up everytime you launch it.

9. Dmotr Softor

Dmotr Softor Kapellmeister

Look here, it might help you.

10. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

Does it work when the window is minimized or hidden, like it's often the case when I launch the rack?
    Actually, you're the second person in a week that recommends me autohotkey...
    Now I'm curious to know if power users do interesting things with it in the realm of production.