Electronic Drum Kit

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bump, May 5, 2012.

1. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

I'm thinking about purchasing one of the cheaper Alesis electronic drum kits with the brain/module to use with ezDrummer..

I do strictly boom bap hip hop so really all I need is the basic, snare, kick and hat or ride combo...

Are these expressive enough for what I need to do... how are the feel? Anybody have any experience with the Alesis brand?

Or if not, does anybody have a simple, cheap solution to getting a set up where I can play like an actual drummer? lol

preferably in a space saving way :)

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I find I can tap out beats faster on my midi keyboard than anything else. You got the whole kit laid out on an octave or so

4. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

That's what I do now..and it works fine... But I definitely get a much better groove when I'm playing at a traditional set with sticks.

5. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I've laid down Electronic drums several times, I have a cheap set that I bought at Sam's Club a couple of years ago. The main problem with this type of playing is latency.

Latency seems to be exaggerated when playing with sticks. Even small amounts of latency can make it impossible to play right.

I monitor the electronic drum sound straight from the instrument when recording MIDI to the DAW. Then I use the MIDI to re trigger Vsti sounds from there on out.

I wanted to try Toontracks Solo for live playing but I could not get it to work on my system. I wonder if anyone else has got Solo working?

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I spent a little more time with SOLO now I have it working great!

6. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

What's SOLO?

EDIT: ahhh nvm....too early lol

7. lisapower

lisapower Member

For Beats Production i can recomend the Arturia Spark drum machine. i own it with the Hardware Controller and it rocks my walls!

8. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Toontrack Solo is a player for toontrack Vsti, Superior Drummer ect.

It is not a DAW, It is designed with super low latency for live electronic drumming.

Should you ever want to play electronic drums with friends or just jam. Most DAWs have too much inherent latency to make them unusable for live Jamming.

With this software and other Vsti's for sounds, all you need is any electronic drums with MIDI. Don't worry about the sound of them, with MIDI you have a multitude of sounds from which to choose.