Electronic Dance Music Production

Discussion in 'Education' started by Qaiss, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

I would like to explore into more genres besides Trance music.

Would this be something usefull to begin with? Link

Also, if anyone knows any good education/courses/books etc.. for Techno, I'd appreciate

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

hmm i normally download some tunes from that genre and then play around with the ideas i have or make some mistakes.

ive done trance, cinematic stuff, drones, house, techno, experimental stuff - drones with techno beats, ambient :)

i dont see a need to read a book for that. just my 2 cents.
    or check out some techno tutorials by sonic academy.

4. xsze

xsze Guest

Agree with ArticSorm, just try to recreate and experiment with what you hear, IMO most of the tuts,books and co are suited mainly for total beginners, which you aren't.

But again, if you love to read&watch go for it, I remember I watched some techno ones from Sonic Academy.

I was into psytrance, that gave me more than enough insights in music production in general, so all the rest was just listening and experimenting with other genres, tweaking synths for different results :wink:

5. martel80

martel80 Producer

i think that you are looking into 2 different genre.

You tell us about techno but look for a house production tutorial.
    This is 2 totaly different ''kind'' of music.

If you need ONE god tip for House.....follow the groove, build a ''waveable'' groove.
    You need to feel it in your body ( even more in deep house ) and im talking about the low frequencys here.

BUT
    If House mean david Guetta, then thats totaly NOT what you need to follow.

Also, if you want to do ''techno'' its something else.....

Techno is more about ''synth'' sound....not much about the groove.

That was my 2 cents

Dig in crates, you'll see by yourself !

Have fun :)

6. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Hehe I should've thought through before asking the wrong question.

It's definitely true what you're all saying.

It's the love for Trance music that brought me as far as I am now.

But that took me nearly 10 years (22 now).

It's not that I'd love to do it all over again with Techno.

But I don't know where I should start listening, as I'm not familiair with the Techno music world.

And as Martel80 said, I don't want to be tricked by the commercial part what's coming out nowadays.

But rather try to understand how these concepts defined my view of House:

Music Talking
    Chase The Sun
    Beachball

Soo my real question is, do you guys know any good reference albums/songs that show your view of what
    Techno is all about?

7. eternaloptimist

eternaloptimist Member

search for the computer music masterclasses on youtube or vimeo. best drag a track you like into your daw and try to recreate it. also pointblank on youtube have some helpful stuff
    :thumbsup:

8. xsze

xsze Guest

It's so much easier to make some music if you feel it and actually listen to it, I really think it would be unnatural for you to start listening new genre just because you have idea to make it, it should come other way around, listening to some genre made you realize you want to make it, that's how I started to produce in first place.

On parties magic happens, where you feel the vibe and crowd, capture the essence off it....there was always question do someone should take drugs to produce some specific genre of music, absolutely not, but going to parties is what is all about, one artist must interact with people and dance floor even in studio in creative process, so it's really important to catch that vibe in first place.

It's really tricky trying to find out something you should know by listening music and deciding to take the road of making it, we all perceive music differently and find inspiration in different things, I really hope you will find something that you feel and have clear vision of it :wink:

9. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

My best piece of advice is to be careful who you take advice from. The only prerequisite here is to have a computer with an internet connection. Ideally you should want to learn from artists whose work you admire. Anyone who discourages you from reading and increasing your knowledge is not a good source of advice. Teachers, doctors, even sanitary workers must read in order to become more proficient in their work. If you want to become an artist you must feed your brain. Soak up as much information as possible. Retain what is useful and discard what is useless.

Techno is a huge genre. If you want to get to it's roots you should look into it's history. A lot of people don't realize that it's been around since the mid 80's. There are 3 men considered to be the Godfathers of Techno. Although the Techno back then was much different then what we hear today, a lot of the techniques and ideas are the same. If you want to learn more about Techno and use it to express you own ideas, you must understand what Techno is and find artists whose work you admire so you can learn from them. No one can tell you who these artists are. Obviously some suggestions would be helpful, but the ultimate decision should be your own.

I almost forgot to mention, be especially wary of anyone willing to offer you "Secrets." There are no secrets. And if there were, they certainly wouldn't be willing to part with them for only £34.95. You can accomplish anything with the proper amount of practice, knowledge, and experience.

10. xsze

xsze Guest

If you aiming this in my direction, I never said he should't learn and read, my point is to make something he feel, feel inspired with and have some vision of it, like trance he was making from love for 10 years, nothing else.

11. xsze

xsze Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-tRL9PUNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nf6I35i8yk

12. fuad

fuad Producer

I find that with beginners, including myself when I was one, always start with a melody..just get on the keyboard, find a good synth preset, like a pluck, a good supersaw, or whatever sound that inspires you and get playing. go crazy with the melody, with the harmonies, let a story play in your head around what ypu're playing on the keyboard and this will help you with the progression. you need to visualize your music..like a few other previously stated, look into established house music and learn from it, listen to it and get to know it inside out, go on beatport and go through random tracks from the different sub genres of house and electronica, and try to recreate the sounds and grooves you hear. one major tip that i will give you is to not quanitize everything, quanitization creates a mechanical feel to the music rather than that loose, very musical feel. I think someone also stated that before me as well...so yeah just dive in, melodies melodies melodies, then build a storyline with harmonies, then choose some funky percussion hits and mix them in there with a good kick and clap/snare

13. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

@ The Eye

THANK YOU! Exactly what I was looking for.

@ Xsze

Thanks for the vids!

Don't take it bad. He's saying the same as you are. But also pointing to the people who want to make money out of eagerly people, like me :grooves: .