Electric pianos mud

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by vayabahia, Jun 9, 2024.

1. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

Hi.
    I come to comment and discuss about the current showcase in electric pianos. Specifically the Rhodes type and also the Yamaha CP70-80 type.
    For reasons that are not relevant, I have been using and looking for this kind of libraries for about two years.
    I've tried all the Rhodes type I've found, including XLN Audio, Scarbee, Arturia, Native Instruments and many others.
    The best ones in my opinion were Suitcase 73 from Hammer+Waves and
    Phoenix from NI. Although the dynamics of Phoenix is a bit inferior to Suitcase 7.

A few months ago I came across the Rhodes V8. And I thought it was one of the best I've heard.
    I used it for 4 months intensively, 7-8 hours a day. But I kept looking.
    It was time for Ujam's Vogue, which left me stunned, because of the similarity with RhodesV8, and at the same time I discovered that the download of RhodesV8 when you install it comes from a Ujam server...mmmm
    After comparing for weeks, I decided to leave the V8, as it is much more expensive, (and it is the kind of product that you are not allowed to resell).
    I stayed with the Vogue and here we are.

As far as the Yamaha CP70 and 80 type is concerned, the offer is somewhat less extensive.
    I've tried UVI, Arturia, XLN, 8dio, Waves, Prominy, Chocolate Audio, and a few others.
    Many of these are huge sampling libraries with dozens of gigs in some cases, but almost all of them need a sound treatment to fit in my work...
    the ones that have convinced me the most are the XLN and above all others, the Waves Electric Grand 80
    The timbre and speed are very easy to adjust, and the dynamics are very good.
    For the Rhodes I discarded the Waves Electric 88 because the dynamics are worse than on the Ujam, but I've been using it for a few days because it's also nice to play.

I had to say it and I said it. That's all folks
    Best regards

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I've only tried 4-6 Rhodes libraries, and out of those, the Blueprint Electric (free) for Kontakt (Player) has been my favourite so far. It's not perfect, but the quality is pretty high.

4. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

True, Blueprint is not bad, the timbre and response are very good, but it lacks a bit of dynamics.

5. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

When it comes to electric pianos, with Native Instruments Scarbee Mark I and the AAS Lounge Lizard EP-4 you can recreate almost any tone (if you know how to get there!). Anyway, I'm not a performer and only use them for MIDI programming, but these two libraries completely satisfy me (mainly 'cos I'm not a fan of gigantic EP/piano sample libraries - I prefer to leave my precious HD space for orchestral samplers).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Kapellmeister

The Detmold ETI is very good and free.

The XLN is one underrated gem. Check out this video comparison. To each their own, but if I had to choose between these, I'd go with the plugin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

My go to Rhodes is "Rhodes Affair" by Audiolounge fantastic sounding VSTs, I have them all. They have demos on their website.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

vayabahia, did you check this one out?

http://www.audiolounge-pro.com/plug-ins-2/keyaffair-2/

It has a very bright tone that you might like (since you mentioned that you look for less muddy tones). Again, for 3GB, I prefer the AAS Lounge Lizard EP-4 (whereby you emulate whatever you want: bright or muddy tones).

9. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

What about pianoteq? Only if you are not into having-a-problem-that-I-do-not-wanna-have-solved-because-I-love-the-drama-discussions but into simple, quick and clean solutions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

I haven't actually tried the pianoteqs. Thanks for reminding me about them

11. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions for sound libraries.

I'm about to try pianoteq, and audiolounge.
    I think I'll stick with my beloved Vogue by Ujam though.

12. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Omnisphere/Keyscape. You'll love it! It's a way of life! On the BUS!!
    :wink:

13. vayabahia

vayabahia Producer

Thanks for the tip
    I've tried the Keyscape and I didn't find them interesting at all, they remind me a bit of the UVI. But it's just a matter of taste