Electric lines for PC and guitar amps question

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Adamdog, May 21, 2016.

1. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

Hello and thank you in advance for the eventual help.
    That's a very technique question this one I'm going to ask, for technicians with electric systems knowledge and experience too.
    Put the case that you have 2 separated switches and electric lines from your switchboard, one for all your studio equipment AND one for the guitar and bass amplifiers. So you connect the mixer, PC, cards, pres, speakers to line A outlets. Amplifiers to line B outlets. This to prevent interferences.
    Now you have a line out or DI from the bass amp to be recorded through a mic pre. The first is powered by line B, the second by line A. Both lines are conditioned 230v 50Hz, and have the same cables diameter (4mm), same outlets model and so. The phase is always on the same outlet pole, It's IN PHASE.
    Is it safe? Ground loops? Two devices plugged in different lines outlets but connected by an audio cable. Would you move the bass amp to the same mic pre A line?
    Thanks for reading.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  3. mageye

mageye Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

hello thanx for the reply
    nice one, I m saving it
    I ve skipped to the chapter 5 where it talks electric power but I can t find an answer, I ll read it all later

5. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

anyway my concern isn t about ground loops, I know how to solve them
    it s more about electric power, two different power lines connected by an audio cable from the out of a device on the B line to an input of a device on the A line.

6. mageye

mageye Producer

Thing is that I am no expert. I am a mere 'dabbler' when it comes to electronics. I think when you said 'is it safe?' you might be referring to potential difference and if that's the case, then run from the same outlet would be safest.

The reason I posted the book, is because I was looking into the same subject matter as what you are doing and the ground loop stuff has been something I wanted to understand for years. I don't really get too many problems with it theses days but it's still interesting stuff. It was when I found that little book, that I really began to realise how little I actually know!:winker::rofl:

7. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

ok ok it s interesting indeed
    saved to my folder, good to refresh memory
    the potential difference is ok, all cables are 4mm, the 2 switches are identic.
    I don t have ground loops, too. I ve build a secondary ground line for the racks chassis in case of loops
    I ve never used it! if I knew it... cable, channels, work...

I have some knowledge, but I have this doubt since years
    actually I have an Ashdown preamp for bass, then I use emulations, it s on the PC-DAW electric line
    but sometimes bass players bring amps

8. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Ground is the same ground for both A and B lines. Using a different wire won't make a difference. If
    A and B both have a solid ground connection, it won't matter.

9. Adamdog

Adamdog Platinum Record

yes the ground point is the same
    I have 2 ground points one for the house one for the studio, far from each other and from the buildings wall.
    two completely separated systems, never in the same switchboard or channels.