electric guitar tracks

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by dragonhill, May 1, 2017.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I'm just speaking from my own vision to a mix, that being that the drums are built around the guitar tone. I use AD, and even though I may like the drums in solo, they mostly need tweaking to work in a mix. From the mixer window in Addictive Drums you can send each output to separate busses and then EQ or compress the invidivial outs to taste, or even better, render them to separate audio files and work there.
    Simply silence the noise and fade in the track before it begins to sound. Once the guitar starts playing, the noise is imperceptible.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I'm going by a Glyn Johns-type setup, where he tended (and still tends) to mic guitar cabs from a slight distance. Not necessary to get the room, which would make it a "room mic" rather than a direct mic (though some engineers actually do that, preferring to get leakage and even room mics on the entire band to give things more of a live sound -- something I'm not actually interested in), but to get far enough away so that you're both capturing some air from the cab and finding a sweet spot that isn't right up against the speaker. I also prefer using a larger condenser than an SM57 (an AKG large diaphragm or an SM32). I also prefer recording guitars separate from drums and bass -- maybe a scratch track that could possibly be a keeper that the drummer and bass player can play off of.

Bear in mind, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying at all, I'm just trying to clarify how I do it and why.

AC/DC also records much of, if not all of, their music in one take, rather than doing a lot of overdubs, so the full band is present for every recording session and they have to be recorded and mixed accordingly.

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Obviously joking about Nebula. It is definitely on my radar as soon as I upgrade ram. I did download TAN, I haven't tried it, fearing it might be a CPU hog like the other Acustica plugins.
    That's probably why Redwire has IR's 12" away from the speaker, just like mic'ing a background vocal a few feet away gives you that natural depth.

I was waiting to process drums separately since once I separate to individual tracks, it prevents 'freezing' the track. Render the track....of course!

Thanks again guys.

4. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

You won't be disappointed when you do. Especially after you try the cab emulation presets. But hey, you're micing now, and there's really no going back after that. Your ears have been spoiled!
    Personally, I didn't find TAN to be too resource hungry so I think you could run it before upgrading the RAM.