Educational Series: Depth

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Giggity, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Giggity

Giggity Platinum Record

Subject: Depth

Plugin/s: Transient Shaper of Any kind (i.e. SPL Transient Designer), Room/Hall Reverb (i.e. Valhalla), Any compressor with external side-chain feature, any EQ (i.e. Fabfilter Pro Q-3).

Procedure:

Two Parts: the instrument; and the AUX channel.
    Instrument Channel:
    1. Lower the attack by 40-100%.
    2. Lower the sustain (to taste).
    3. A high-shelf cut on the smack of the instrument (2 khz- 10 khz) for -3 to -5 db (adjust to taste)
    AUX Channel:

follow this order: Compressor, Reverb, EQ, (OPTIONAL) Compressor (side-chained to the incoming signal pre-fader)
    1. Compressor: Attack: 0 ms, Release: 85-150ms (Adjust to taste), threshold: goal is to shave off the initial transient, therefor adjust accordingly (hint: high GR is okay in this case), Make-up Gain: adjust to pre-compression level
    2. Reverb: Pre-delay: 0ms, Time: 1-5 sec (adjust to taste), width: not too narrow and not too wide, use your judgement for a realistic stereo width (you can use presets when you're lost)
    3. EQ: the goal is to achive a slightly darker reverb tone. You don't want much brightenss in this. Low-Cut to 100hz; for the rest (100-300 hz) use a low shelf filter(mid-lows are your friend here; thus don't go cutting everything).
    4. Compressor: Sidechain this to your instrument, the goal is to duck the reverb slightly out of the way to hear the instrument.
    Caution: This won't work on non-transient based instruments; i.e. pads, vocals, etc.. You can get those in the background in those cases via a reverb alone in some cases. This works particularly well with drums, but of course, always be willing to test the boundaries.

Comments: Use this if you intend to take a percussive instrument in the back. For reference, picture yourself and the end of a hall and a snare drum playing at the other end; you won't hear the attack well, and the sound decays slightly not more than 2 secs at most. Don't have your reverb time set unrealistically high. Additionally, early reflection adjustments could add more depth depending on the source material.

Care to contribute? Check out this guide.

Up next...
    Educational Series: Width.

Edit: Added new link.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Like x 10
    • Agree x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  3. Giggity

Giggity Platinum Record

When participating, please use the following guidelines:

• I will appreciate everyone who'll also share their tip, but please follow the following format as clutter-free post is far more inviting than its opposite.
    • If you are simply participating to show gratitude, although it's unnecessary, you can follow my Patreon and help there. kidding. Instead, just rate the posts using (Agree, Disagree, or Creative). This is to avoid giving unnecessary negative ratings to someone, and use "Disagree" which is a neutral rating.
    • If you are correcting someone, reply to their post and write, "Correction:", and then proceed. After an evaluation by the Committee is completed (which consists of @Baxter ,@No Avenger ,@The Pirate, @SineWave , and myself), we will then implement the correction in the post.
    • Remember, the goal is to learn; please contribute to a positive learning environment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Instrument Channel:
    -Also, in a case of a stereo instrument, narrowing stereo width would greatly contribute to added sense of depth.

!!!Beware of collapsing the two channels though as very often will introduce phase issues sounding nasty, so more often than not I would opt for a single mono channel instead. (flux stereo tool, bx_solo)

PS. Have to say - thx so much for this, I love what transient shaper on dry, and comp before the verb are doing. I was missing these (as a way of adding depth) ALL ALONG! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Giggity

Giggity Platinum Record

No worries mate! I'm glad you found this helpful.

Great point right there about narrowing of the stereo width adding to the depth.

6. Giggity

Giggity Platinum Record

Plugin/s: SoundToys Echoboy (or any delay plugin with Dual mode)

Procedure:

1. Select the Dual mode
    2. Set one-increment varying speeds on the delay times (i.e. 1/8 R and 1/4n L) (adjust to taste)
    3. Bring the feedback up to about 9-11 o'clock
    4. Under the delay section, click edit to open the panel; change the width to a narrower position (adjust to taste)
    5. The beautiful part: Click on the "Style Editor";
      1. Turn up the diffusion up to 15-30% (Normaly set to zero)
      2. depending on what effect you wanna go for, change the size. (The smaller the size, you'll get a minor/very subtle diffusion effect, and the larger the size the more smooth (think reverb like) the diffusion gets.
    6. Now, adjust the Mix knob depending on how far you want the instrument to be from the listener.
    Caution: This could really ruin your mix, and most importantly, the feel of the song, particularly the instrument; it can essentially break your track if you don't use it right. How to get it right? This is one of those instances where you learn something by knowing how to get it wrong! If you are hearing (super obvious and ugly) comb-filtering effect in the delays (not while the track is in solo), you have gotten it wrong; increase your size. Clearly, the results will vary depending on the source material and the setting used, but this should give you the general idea of, at least, what to shout for.

Comments: While this is unnecessary when working with delay, this is that extra step you'd take if you want your delay to sound more natural than just having the sound repeat couple of times before fully disappearing. This will add that natural smear effect to the delay you expect the sound to behave. While not knowing this doesn't make you an amateur, using this trick will certainly score you more points for attention to detail and articulation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Plugins: Fairy dust, lots of, the more the better. :winker: Seriously, apart from some Acustica Audio tools which really can add depth in a to me unknown way (I once had the opportunity to ear-witness the before and after), just ordinary reverb and early reflections.

Procedure:

This is probably the most difficult topic of these four and I have to admit, I'm not THE expert when it comes to depth. But there are some physical rules which I can contribute.

1. The more distant the source is, the louder it has to be to be audible. So pianissimo played strings with upfront heavy drums and guitars don't work in reality.
    2. A more distant sound is also damped by the air, means less details, less high frequencies, means high shelf and less to no saturation (and of course the opposite for close sounds).
    3. Last, not least, the more distant a sound is, the more it is drowned in early reflections and reverb. This can be achieved by higher amount of these, especially ERs, and a shorter predelay for both. I know of people who use three different combinations of ERs and reverb. One for close sounds, one for half distant and the third for the most distant ones. No. two and three have higher levels of ERs and shorter predelay for both.

This way you can adjust the send levels for all sounds and use even combinations by sending a source for instance to the close and half distant fx to a different amount.

Imagine you're standing in the middle of a big empty hall and someone is talking to you. If he's just one meter (three feet) away, he doesn't have to speak very loud and this will produce hardly any ERs (just some from the ground) or reverb. If he then moves to the back wall continuously, he has to raise his voice and this results in a bigger amount of ERs and reverb and the time difference with which his voice and the ERs/reverb reach your ears gets shorter.
    If he's finally standing in the most distant corner, the ERs from the walls close to his head have almost no delay to his voice and their amount is heavily increased (more than the reverb's). Furthermore, due to the distance, the voice, ERs and reverb have less definition, because they are damped by the air.

Caution: No caution here, just try your second best. :winker:

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

:hifive::hahaha:

9. SoundLanguage

SoundLanguage Member

Dunno if it's relevant or not, but when i wanna have depth i use parallel processing with reverbs, tape echoes, etc.

What i mean by "parallel processing": you create a lot of sends, in each send you put a different reverb / delay plug that you balance completely on the left, or completely on the right. You can this way create interesting soundscapes.

This is best if you use very colored / vintage plugs (like plate echoes, spring reverbs...) on the left and right sends. Then, to finalize my soundscape, i use a very transparent reverb in stereo (like, for ex., DDMF Enveloppe, or Lexicon, or...) at the very end of the chain, which achieves to "glue" everything.

10. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

bump

11. Grater

Grater Ultrasonic

this is great guys, I was looking for sth like this since there are so few masters giving out their sauce. I wonder how analogue gear plays into this cause it does often make stuff in your face.
    I heard somewhere that transient detail is often in the 90hz region and the 3-4k so shelving and even clipping before the eq can help tame those transients. I'm not a fan of too much reverb and lowpassing stuff can do the same emotionally as a reverb often.