EDM song structure

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, Dec 5, 2015.

1. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

The first thing to learn:
    Darude - Sandstorm ≠ EDM

2. The Iceman

The Iceman Kapellmeister

Finally an intelligent response! Great post man!

3. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

this troll is getting inside your mind...:rofl::hahaha:

4. samsome

samsome Guest

Are you guys trying to confuse me?.....

rise = verse?
    build = chorus without vocals?

i don't even know who to trust here anymore

5. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

use the standard for pop

intro

Verse

Pre-chorus: This is optional if the chorus and the verse don't match

Chorus

Verse: Try to make this shorter or you can use this verse as a break

Chrorus

Outro

this structure is about 3 minutes so is a good structure

try to use your structure some times you can use intro and then you start with a Pre-chrous

you can be creative

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

The best answer you can get about "EDM strucutres" is by analyzing yourself the pro songs out there, just go on Spinnin Records / Ultra Records / Revealed / Protocol YT Channel and check the songs with the most views, listen to them and write the structures down and use them as your "ghost" templates.

7. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

Logged in, just to thumbs up! Nice Quote!

8. Veks

Veks Member

Thanks! :) I must admit I started to make music that way from the last track and I had trouble of build up (too monotone sound). Then I added one more instrument to breake the things up and putted Ozone 7 multiband, and saw what I want from the track. So I have now something.. :)

9. samsome

samsome Guest

hey,if i go on spinning records site for example, how can i check from there which songs have the most views? I need to go on youtube and check each one right?

10. Veks

Veks Member

Tiesto is most selling on Beatport. But I think most numbers on internet are fake. My count number changed on Soundcloud and CGTalk drasticly in the same time. Maybe they lost server or something and made numbers up, but I don't think so. On Google+ they are boosting numbers for You to go there and start using it (my opinnion). And someone calculate Tiesto's profit. 100 gigs for 100 000 $ in one year is 10 million $. Expenses are at least 50 % and more (taxes etc). So he have 5 mil. or less. In newspapers he earned 50 million that year..

11. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

@samsone I don't try to be ironic, but given your latest posts, you have no clue about software/VST's, you have no clue about the music you want to produce. What do you know? Why your need to express yourself in a field you apparently know nothing about? EDM is a fading trend and you won't make something releaseable in the next 4 years (regardless the "EDM is shit" controversy, the skills involved in music production are sky-high at this moment). Better start doing stuff instead of asking around (some) really stupid questions. Get one of those "make a house track from start to finish" tutorials. Hell, get all of them. And make the tracks. See if you have the patience to learn, to resist the frustration, because that is the begining in producing music: a neverending stream of f*** frustration. You won't be making hits anytime soon, so better make sure you are music producer material. And in a year or two pass by and ask why the goniometer is showing a diamond shape when analyzing the tracks in the charts and I/we will gladly tell you.

Happy New Year!

12. Veks

Veks Member

The problem is that he doesn't have someone who can learn from.

Everything is money and nobody have ideas for something new or original. Who have the idea and no connection, is banned. :) This is my experience with animation in my country (Croatia). But I think with publishing music is easier because you can open a label on Labelworx.

I had a label over Dancephonic and I had there around 20 tracks. And they don't reply to my e-mails anymore. I appareantly had 4 sells and around 100 listens in 2 years. Now I think it was some more. Iff we say that 100 tracks per day in one genre comming on beatport, it was very good result.. :)

p.s. I had zero listen on Beatport (reading that statistics I got).

13. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

You don't learn from someone. Nowdays you learn from anyone. And learn to filter information. Days of the old school are... old. As for getting your music out there, in electronic music at least, there is always a way to break through. Make some really good remixes to current hot tracks (which means that you must make the remix in 2 weeks) and you're on. What it takes for anyone to be able to make a track in two weeks (technically mixed closed to perfection) is alot of hard work. Some are lucky, some are not. But no one said is easy. And probably that's the beauty of it.

14. Veks

Veks Member

Wow, 2 weeks! :) I would reject that... :) I would need much more time than that... :)

15. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

16. Sam Mathew

Sam Mathew Ultrasonic

@samsome look man to be honest...!!
    stop asking questions and try to getting started on a TRACK and very soon enough you'll end up facing a DEADBLOCK .... and when you're there that is when the CREATIVE part of the brain kicks in and you'll soon start taking decisions based on that CREATIVE PART and not based on some SHITTY EXPERTISE shown by some pretending to "know-all"..!! so..???

get out there and get some music made.....
    01 - start with an 8-bar loop (begin with chords and rhythm)
    02 - get everything you can GENERATE into that 8 or 16 bar loop
    03 - now after u've got SOMETHING going on, it's time to cary forward
    04 - copy that entire LOOP several times and after that begin with a rough sketch
    ## - NOW I CAN'T STRESS HOW IMPORTANT IT IS, THAT U KNOW UR WAY 'ROUND THE DAW, SHORTCUTS, INSTR. PLUGINS, EFFECTS, ETC.
    05 - import a track of the GENRE you're trying to produce and insert markers where transitions occur, or any breaks, buildups happen, etc.
    06 - emulate the style (in the beginning of course)..!! but soon enough you'll get an EXACT PICTURE of HOW a track arrangement is sketched out and then GO NUTS....
    07 - tweak arrangements of your own

....and soon enough my friend...
    you'll have a lot MORE EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE than just LOOP LISTENING TO A "BEATPORT#1" TRACK....

so these are just tips to get u started (of course)...
    tweak it as you wish... AND GET SOME MUSIC MADE...

BASSiX

17. Veks

Veks Member

I think he does not know how to install program or plugins...

18. Sam Mathew

Sam Mathew Ultrasonic

@Veks i think i'll have to agree with u on this one... :rofl:
    if this so...!!! then @samsome there's only ONE and ONLY TIP -

READ THE F*****G MANUAL..!!!:wtf:

19. Veks

Veks Member

Maybe he doesn't have comptuter...

20. Veks

Veks Member