EDM Music Production Courses

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by helder777, Sep 9, 2014.

1. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Hello everyone,

Well I will start with a brief review about me, cause this is my first post here!

I'm a relatively young producer, been doing that for about 6 months now... I used to create music with FL Studio 10, but i realized that the workflow sucks a lot on it (at least for me, a disorganized person by nature), and now I'm moving to Ableton Live 9 for several reasons (mainly because i don't wanna see tons of automation clips on my track list anymore).
    The genre that i'm trying to master is something between, Progressive House, Bigroom and Electro, but i'm not sure about that yet!

Well, getting to the point, what i want to ask you guys, is if anyone know some really good courses or tutorials available on AudioZ (of preference) that take emphasis on Ableton Live 9 EDM Production? Some stuff about, kick design, mixdown/mastering, synths design, anyway, some good stuff about EDM Production!

I hope you guys can help! Thanks!

Sorry if there is some english errors, not my language!

3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

hello helder, i moved from FL Studio to Studio One for the exact same reasons. tutorial will help you a lot but in my opinion you need to practice in your sparetime. because sometimes in the tutorials videos the producer justifies certain choices by saying:"to me sound better in this way" because in his mind he has learned something from the experience and the practice. And the most import thing is to figure out your way of producing, because mix and produce a track is based on what you feel at the moment, from eq, compressors, imager to musical choices.

here are my top 2 choice for a beginner:

1) Laidback Luke Forum

Tons of famous artists are in this BIG topic started in the 2007 (900 page so far) i can name a few: Laidback Luke, Nicky Romero, Dyro, Avicii, Max Vangeli, Angger Dimmas, Digital lab and many others have just read all the post. In this topic you'll find everything about production & mastering mainly in all the electronic genres.

Take your time to read it and remeber to practice while you find new tricks

http://www.laidbackluke.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1735&sid=9112663edf5abba2cbcd81064ff81a77

2) Kim Lajoie's blog.

this man is absolutely brilliant, he teaches you what really means "to be a producer" all around, is less technical than Laidback forum but in my opinion this blog/book should be printed and stored in every producer bedroom.

http://blog.kimlajoie.com/

i have the pdf version, i read when i lack of concentration or lack of new ideas:

https://www.google.it/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.errepici.it%2Fweb%2Fdownload%2FKLBD.asp&ei=ToEPVKu8Baah7Aa8yIHACQ&usg=AFQjCNEiYleDb1jj0tQ6D7_x6DBzNtIGFA&sig2=L9GQZpIz_XkHpfnqbAUzrA&bvm=bv.74649129,d.d2s&cad=rja

4. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Hey Mostwest, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, i kinda know that producing is one of the best ways to learn, but i think that is some quality tutorials or courses around there, for example, this days i was watching a course about some tips on ableton, and this guy showed up about the warp function and for what you can use it, also he did some FX with reverse hihat before the actual hihat hits that i think i could never figure it out by my own... I heard this reverse hihat FX on a lot of professional tracks and I always thought about what could it be, and this guy have enlightened me! So, I think quality courses / tutorials, plus practicing / producing, is the best and fastest way to learn music production!

I wish i could find a course somewhere that could show me all the kinds of stuff that Ableton can offer (like this tip that i talked about) in a sequence of learning (a methodology)... but i think that without paying a good course like dubspot or something like that, this will not be an easy task. And I say that because I think that watching sparse courses or tutorials is more hard to learn than taking one good course...

Well, thanks a lot for these links, i have seen before the laidback luke forum, but I didn't mess to much with him. I will see this thread right way and also this blog! Thanks a lot!

5. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

the arrangement with Live much more PITA, check a complextro pic in it, FL has much more organized view (especially with block view registry hack if u gonna use FL11), and lightyears faster workflow

[​IMG]

absolutely messy, u haven't got patterns(only the sample clips are references in it, those ones point to a real file >can be changed at once<, the midi clips are independent from each other) / there is no mouse-wheel based track zoom features (generally mouse wheel can be used only for scrolling) / u can't loop automations (https://www.ableton.com/answers/is-it-possible-to-loop-clip-automation-in-arrangement-view-with-live-9) so have to modify them always one by one etc. AL is good if u have Push and use only its Session view ;)

--
    the http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/index.php/tutorials/genre-tutorials/progressive-house is quite good one otherwise although it's not AL based

6. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

man it's all about personal preference in my opinion both Ableton and FL Studio suck in arrangement and in the mixer, in my opinion other Daws are much more organized. Patterns thing in FL is soo old and stupid for me, i prefer a "linear" way of producing like Pro Tools, Cubase and others

Attached Files:

7. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Well, as far as i see in Live 9, it seen's to be more easy to handle, in term's of organization than the FL... I will give it a try and see if he work for me.

Thanks for the course! Do you know if he is available on AudioZ?

I wish I could get my hands on pro tools, but my OS is win... My girlfriend have macbook pro, but the screen is so small, i don't think i could work with that.

8. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

"man it's all about personal preference in my opinion both Ableton and FL Studio"
    these ones are the ontopic ones this why I've mentioned them

[off]

how do u create common based repetitive automation in S1, I've tried it but dunno :(

click on the pic, is there shared copy for automation (it's also missing from AL,Bitwig,Cubase)

[/off]

Attached Files:

9. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

btw how do use FL, is the track is the biggest container and do u put the different patterns into it ?
    [​IMG]
    do u also minimize the non-used related automation tracks (which ones have been grouped with the patterns holder track) ?

10. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Well, this is how my FL looks like when a finish a song.

[​IMG]

And there is a bunch of other automations under that.

Attached Files:

• prod.JPG
      prod.JPG
      File size:
      140.2 KB
      Views:
  11. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

should use colors, track/channel grouping, lead, bass, drums etc. tracks/patterns instead of dropping all of them into one, btw why don't u create a nice organized song template ...have to do it only once ...

so the workflow should be some kind of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcIMDXIaGXk