EDM is dying... What's next? And why is this happening? Is DJing dead?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Desantïs, Mar 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

You see, this kind of assertion make you look dumb. You continue to believe that there are rules on how this world should be, what music is good and what not, which DJ's are good and which not and, for some reason, you believe that it's not allowed to have marketing budget as a DJ.

People like whatever the f*ck they like. It's their money. Maybe they don't go for the music at fetivals, maybe the festival is their opportunity to get wasted and have sex, but who cares? They are paying a f*cking ticket, not you! They are a market! If I'm going to sell pork outside a vegan restaurant and no one will buy my product, that means that either vegans are stupid either I am. Do the math.

If you're better than flosstradamus (or whatever DJ out there) prove it by making something better, get an equal or bigger fan base then steer that fan base on the path that you consider "right". But if all you can do is making the public stupid, allow me to quote you and say "stfu".

2. muciones

muciones Kapellmeister

EDM is not dying, everybody with a computer and a DAW is creating "electronic dance music". Yes, is electronic, yes, we can dance on it and yes, is music.

Only this Ultra Festival that is right now made minimum 80 million dollars just for selling tickets (calculated with lowest ticket price of $400) Of course they make much more next to tickets. People don't go to festivals to listen to music. They go to get laid and to get drunk or to smoke some fukcing mushrooms and to make babies. Sometimes those babies have more than one fathers. Shit happens.

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

lol, smoke mushrooms....

4. statik

statik Audiosexual

this was actually the reason why i went to the lowlands festival for years, didnt care which bands or dj's were playing, if there was a band or dj i liked it was cool and if not oh well i'd just sit in the grass and smoke myself silly with some friends, it was more about the atmosphere there than the music. until i went to a festival where i did like the music, the wave-gothic-treffen (or world-gangster-treffen as we call it now), there i will dance the night away as i used to years ago at the lowlandsfest. lately i've started to notice that i dont really care what bands or dj's are playing there anymore, the atmosphere is nice and there's always gonna be something i like but the thing that's the most important to me is to have fun without the stress of having to run to different locations to see act A or B, that is unless the band i'm doing visuals for is playing but that a different thing.

this whole edm is dying thing... what can i say, depending on what you define is edm it will or wont die, electronic music has been around for ages and every now and then a new style will evolve that makes it big and sticks around for some years. this can be 1 year, this can be 4 years, or even longer. some acts will emerge with this sound and some older ones will adapt it into their sound, this will never change. styles will be copied, merged, evolve and whatever, the big challenge for the musicians is to create something that is timeless or to make something that sells big time for a few years. the last part is considered as selling out when they change the style they once started with and start to be more commercial but hey it is a job after all and most of us want music to be our day job, either with or without adapting to the big public.

5. Manta

Manta Member

listening to (good) music and making (good) music is all that matters:disco::mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

No dj equipment..Wow its so hard to hit play on that pre mixed ableton set... Come on man you would shit a brick if you even had to mix 2 beats off serato dj.. You guys all buy your way into the industry and thats cool and all but I feel bad for the crowd who loses out on authentic sets and real excitement and skill watching someone perform live.

7. statik

statik Audiosexual

unless you're these guys

although their concerts are sold out in minutes

8. curtified

curtified Rock Star

Thanks man!!! Been doing the future thing for a while now. Check out our back catalog. Yeah we give our stuff out for free. I was being sarcastic in my last post.

I just want to motivate all the producers on here. We all love making music and care about it so much that we get frustrated when someone else is in a position we wish we could be in. It takes a lot of hard work Ive been making music for 20 years 10+ years in Flosstradamus.

Im always lurking this forum and others looking for tips and motivation. But I always see people wasting their energy focusing on the negative of what they think is wrong with music, a plugin, a daw, etc. That energy could be spent learning new tricks and techniques to make your craft better.

Keep it posi guys!! Stay focused!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. goose

goose Noisemaker

every extra character you're destroying yourself

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

some think that THE EDM??// that shit was dead once EDM started :D

but anyway... im sure all the followers, that didnt overdose, now have to grow up, stop drugs and work... and since they arent on drugs, they dont like the music anymore... since they were just the next installment of fake rave-goers... like has been goin on since the 70's... only a handfull of people ever are REAL listeners.

11. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

That hater obviously doesn’t have sirius or listen to sway on shade45. I remember when floss stormed into the studio during a live show and took over the turntables gangsta style and killed it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Who needs a sister site when you got FTP access

13. curtified

curtified Rock Star

FTP???

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Did I say that? I meant Hydenation FTW!

15. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

And with thousands of braindead monkeys who pay their ticket you still have to go to sister site for plugins, really ? So fire your agent or get a real job.
    "Autobot", that's precisely what you look like in the music world.
    "Gangsta style"... "Liquid Trap"... "Future Bass"... All these shits coupled with global warming and pollution announce something BIG is coming:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Hm, Im a classically trained jazz musician that's been called an idiot and a monkey because i like trap, and all forms of the broken beat. I also like some country and folk, was raised on reggae and technical death metal. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm a fan of talent. I've been around forever and have contributed a lot to both of the sites here including releases, indirectly though the real scene. I took a break from here for three years because of all the hate and went back to the real scene. So much hate in here. Just recently I decided to come out of the woodwork and become a contributing member of this pseudo scene once again. But....Looks like it's time to crawl back into my lurking hole here and go back to the real warez scene.
    Peace out sukaz

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  17. Adrianus Antonius

Adrianus Antonius Producer

Speaking about real turntables.... and music not sounding like utter noisy POS.
    BTW those EDM braindead "attendees", go there not to get laid.... about 5-10 of them get laid.... out of a few thousands.... the rest are there to forget that on facebook/Dating sites, where they come from in the first place, they were led to believe that they are the world, that they're somebodies.... they turn off they computer and suddenly they are nobodies.... just some loser trying to get laid and a used up skank... so they fallow where the sheep herd of losers and skanks go, to feel "normal".... somebodies... in a sea of braindead sheep they feel like they're home, like it's ok to be a desperate vaginas wiping with his mouth wannabe stud or a used herpes infested skank....
    I bet someone will kill themselves after reading this :rofl:

Oh BTW, did you know that herpes are syphilis strain? Now you know, Herpes are a strain of syphilis, its origin is from the same virus, it's a milder form of syphilis.... now you know why someone's face is literally rotting...
    Back in 50s whatever, that's how it was referred to, but because pharmacists realized that they won't financially benefit by selling drugs to treat syphilis, because it stigmatized people, so they come up with a new "market friendly" name for it and called it herpes...

18. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

I hate neither you nor flosstradamus. I only hate your fucking shitty tastes - same as I hate all religions without hating believers. As participant in this open debate, it's my prerogative to express my opinion and I do it. Like it or not.

... and continue to jump like a puppet on springs in front of my beloved Gods DJs.

19. G String

G String Rock Star

What's next? Maybe there won't be a next?

In Huxley's Brave New World people listened to machine-made music, tripping out on a love drug called soma. Wild conjecture, eh? But if people like it, who is to stop them liking it? The lowest common denominator is pretty low, presumably.

I don't believe 'everything goes in cycles'. Time has an arrow. One's view (one's experience) of music is different today than X years ago. You are different. Music is different. Everything is different. Is it good, is it bad? Personally I don't care that there is a lot of shit music about. It doesn't bother me that other people like shit music (whereas shit politics, shit ethics, etc do matter). But I am sick of hearing music oozing out of everything and everywhere.

That "music isn't what it used to be" is a complaint I have heard all my adult life. All my contemporaries seemed to say it through their 20s (late 80s early 90s) then again once trance and house had peaked. And again when Jungle drifted into a myriad stuff. etc.

Will that extended period of creativity and change be replicated in the next period? Difficult to believe, but there seems no reason not to believe it. That doesn't mean you will necessarily like any of it...........and if you don't like it, you'll always be nostalgic. Ugh.

It does perhaps seem as if (popular) music has exhausted itself at the moment. Arguably the entire culture has. blah blah blah.

20. dlearyus

dlearyus Noisemaker

one can only hope lol