Editing commercial libraries in Kontakt

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by maximoman, Mar 7, 2019.

1. maximoman

maximoman Noisemaker

Hi Gurus and experts,

Like a lot of people (I think) I mostly use Kontakt to play huge Orchestral libraries and never really mess with anything under the hood.

But every now and then I feel the urge to try and fix something that bugs me about a specific library, like the inconsistent start points of certain round robin samples in Spitfire Albion. Stuff like that.

So how hard is it? Can a mere mortal go in and tweak start points or maybe remove/exchange a really obtrusive sample in a round robin cycle? And then save as a new patch? Or is it too much of a hassle/not possible?

Has anybody done stuff like this or can anybody point me to a tutorial that covers this?

Sorry bout the 5 questions I fired at you but it's really just one...

Cheers

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I dont know with the newer version of Kontakt, but before it was not that complicated. It all depends about how familiar you are with sampling, and what you want to do, as some functions are related to scripting which is more complicated than retouch samples ...

4. maximoman

maximoman Noisemaker

Thanks Olymoon

The first thing I want to do is try to edit start points in a couple of Staccato patches in Albion 1, 2, and 3 to get rid of sloppy timing. Albion have included tighter patches called time machine but they're not that great in my opinion, so I was hoping to roll my own by editing the regular ones.

I'm reasonably well versed in sampling in general but anything under Kontakt's hood is a black hole for me. Don't know if you're familiar but the Spitfire libraries all seem to have all note samples recorded by multiple mics (Close, Decca Tree, Ambient and Overhead) so I guess I'd have to edit start points for all groups/mics simultaneously or there will be phase weirdness. Would this involve scripting you think?

Cheers

5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

It's really worth reading the Kontakt manual. It's not only about scripting but also about layers and groups in Kontakt.
    Commercial libraries generally use layers and groups to a good extent, and I think it's essential to know how to work with them - selecting, de-selecting, filtering, editing one or all etc.

6. maximoman

maximoman Noisemaker

Thanks, guess I gotta bite the bullet and go read some manuals...