Edison drag and drop sample to Phase Plant not working?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by The_Pro, Jun 27, 2022.

1. The_Pro

The_Pro Newbie

I can drag samples from FL Browser into Phase Plant's wavetable but not from Edison. Similarly, I can drag samples from Edison into Serum's wavetable but unable to do so in Phase Plant. Any ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/C9duERA

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

User "OuterLives" says:

Audio from edison is only stored to ram, it isnt an actual sample stored on your computer drive for other things to reference so you need to either save the file or drag it into its own clip and then into phase plant or whatever other plugin/software

Source: www.reddit.com/r/FL_Studio/comments/vlbvke/edison_drag_and_drop_sample_to_phase_plant_not/

4. The_Pro

The_Pro Newbie

I understand, but in this video at 22:50 he was able to do it which led me to think there was something wrong in my end.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @The_Pro, thank you for the video. I have seen it.
    Unfortunately I can't follow it because I don't have FL Studio right now.

Exporting Audio

Alternatives for exporting audio from Edison to FL Studio are:

[​IMG] Send sample to Playlist - Left-click - Sends the selection (or whole sample if no selection is made) to the Playlist as an Audio Clip. Right-click - Replaces the currently selected Audio Clip or Sampler Channel with the sample/selection in Edison.
    [​IMG] Drag / copy sample / move selection - Left-click on the button and drag to the desired location. The selected region in the Sample Edit Window (or whole sample if no selection is made) will be copied and moved to any compatible location in FL Studio, e.g. Sampler channels, Fruity Slicer, DirectWave, the Playlist, etc. Right-click to copy the selection to the clipboard.
    [​IMG] Tools > Sequencing
    • Send to Playlist as audio clip (Shift+C)- Dumps the selection to the Playlist as an Audio Clip.
    • Send to selected Channel - Dumps the selection to the selected Channel.
    [​IMG] Save and load - Save the audio/selection to a file and re-import it through the Browser.

NOTE: If an audio clip contains a downbeat marker (set by the region tool), dropping it on the Playlist will auto-align it.

https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/plugins/Edison.htm

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Who cares where you can't drag a sample from, into the synth/sampler VST you are working in? If it doesn't drag from where you would like, it is probably time to adjust your workflow and drag it from your Browser.

But, the easier way to do this is just within PhasePlant itself. Go to your Wavetable module. Next to Phase, you will see 2 up/down arrows. To the right of it, is a pencil Icon. Click that, and it will open the Wavetable Editor. Click File, Create New From Sample. There are other ways to do everything in this Synthesizer, because it is freakin awesome. :)

7. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

I don't know and cannot check it but... Why if he is dragging a sample which is saved on his HDD? He is dragging wavetable from Harmor, this wavetable is saved somewhere. It's not in RAM only.

Try to save your sample in Edison first, then try to drag it to PhasePlant. It's possible that when you drag a sample FL Studio implicitly passes a real path to it and PhasePlant accepts this path. I don't know but it is highly probable that the real path on HDD is mandatory.

8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

A programmer needs to program a function that enables drag out and drop into his program (or plugin). Also he must define filetypes that can be dragged or dropped.
    If he didn't do it or there are incompatible filetypes moved, there is no drag & drop possible or not between all plugins or all parts inside of a program.
    Sometimes the vendor even doesn't want to make it possible to drag out objects e.g. samples.
    So I don't think the problem is on your side.

sic

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

I agree that it is the result of Programming Decisions made by a developer. But when has this not been the case in Audio? "Why, Why, Why?"

Because that is just how it is. You will run into this every time you make music with a computer. Your skillset is dependent on your ability to look at the problem, analyze it, research it, and find a Workaround for your current task. It's why when someone's Kontakt Library artwork does not display and it still plays, do they keep working or go ask about a meaningless task like researching library artworks? Most often, it is the latter. It's a great way to get nothing done.

I cannot drag a waveform directly from the Arrange window in Logic to the Wavetable in PhasePlant either. I'll live. Apple and Kilohearts seem to both have programmers certainly better than I am, so I am just stuck trusting them to know what they are doing. In the meantime, I could do something like drag the waveform out of the DAW to my desktop and then drag it back to Phaseplant.

One good reason for the behavior would be that if the file is not rendered to Wave, it would have to get that data from memory; instead of the hdd/ssd. So Phaseplant wants the file to come from the OS directly, or a Dialog Box. Is the a XAS security concern involved? Who cares, it sounds wicked

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022