Ebook reader (app) suggestion?

Discussion in 'Software' started by thethirdperson, Oct 21, 2016.

1. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

I feel a incredibly flustered and overwhelmed because it feels so difficult to get a concise answer out of a search engine. I'm just trying to thumb through some books on a windows based tablet/laptop hybrid. I'm just trying find an app that fits my needs. Not buy a god damn kindlenookamazonfirebook pro 128gb whatever or write a novel. *sigh*

I officially feel old, technology is moving faster then it feels useful to me anymore. Will someone fill me in on an ereader app that works well for them?

Preferences:

-Something open-sourced that isn't constantly trying to sell me shit. I have such a low attention span as it is =/

-Allows me to highlight and annotate stuff as I read.

-(Since I have a hard time much of the time accidentally reading the same line over and over when I read, and sometimes it's easier to follow along the words with a finger) An app that is able to oreint the pages to fit to the screen rather then scrolling.

-It would also be really neat to be able to flip pages the way you might do on a normal book using a touchscreen. It's not necessary but it would be a bonus.

Thanks =)

As an afterthought, if there are some VR developers out there listening. Will you create a simple ebook reader app that is a tangible book with real pages? I'm ranting but I'm also TOTALLY NOT KIDDING!

It be especially cool if you could incorporate it so that there are different things to help reading better for people with visual impairments, dyslexia or other handicaps that would make it easier to read. Who knows perhaps books that are bi-lingual that introduces new words to people who aren't native speakers using context clues *shrugs*. I say wait till at least Version 2 or 3 to roll out those features though, the tangible book part seems most important rn =P

Trees are great and everything and I'm glad the printed page is being phased out and most new books nowadays don't ever see a printed page. However, the very thought of having to use technology to escape it, feels so surreal . . .

-

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

did you try Calibre? I think there is a free version.. or used to be...

yeah it's still donationware..

http://calibre-ebook.com/download

as far as ranting about e -reader features here,
    you are probably not reaching the audience you intend... :yes:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  4. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

An e-reader actaully is worth it, because of their E-INK screens with no light, so reading them is the same as reading paper books, no eye strain. Reading on a tablet / phone / laptop will always be much worse for your eyes.

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

- calibre is use to rid of drm protections
    - sumatrapdf works great for me (multitabs and color invert)
    and when im on debian, i use evince.

Adobe Reader 9 for printing. (the last good version of the Reader, no color invert, no freakin multitabs, how could one work with that? the newer version are so crap!)

6. VIVIsect

VIVIsect Ultrasonic

Calibre is amazing for editing and converting eBooks into different formats. But for desktop reading, I mostly just use the free Kindle reader or Adobe Digital Editions. For mobile (Android) devices, I use Aldiko Reader.