Easy way to block my daw INCL plugins accessing the internet?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by kontakthelp, May 22, 2019.

1. modmid

modmid Member

For Windows, I use NetLimiter Pro www.netlimiter.com
    Not free, but good and run like mac's LittleSnitch :yes:

2. cooper

cooper Member

3. turbo

turbo Ultrasonic

Little Snitch especially if you use FL. Bought last week 45€

4. darthloud

darthloud Producer

5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

that's how i configured it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried lulu but experiecned some odd things like crashes, is it running smooth now ?

or https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php it is now free as well and even shows popups (if you want) like little bitch

6. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I use tinywall on windows, lightweight and easy to manage. Whitelist by window is my favourite function
    https://tinywall.pados.hu/

7. Gizmoz

Gizmoz Producer

Also on Win : Malwarebytes windows firewall control

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

that's not an elegant solution, because if you run dualboot on your PC, mac address remains same and so no system on that PC will be able to access internet

yea I use some local devices, so completely removing IPv4 is a no go,
    Little Snitch on MacOS does wonderful job most of the time anyway;

speaking of internet access from Windows environment, it's possible to bridge the NIC "before" its settings, so let's say running VMWare Player I can fully access internet using guest Windows 10 system while the Windows 10 host has no internet access
    :shalom:

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. LiftedHawk

LiftedHawk Member

^ Proper ^

10. DEEPIKILA

DEEPIKILA Newbie

you can restrict computer from internet completely, while retaining LAN access by typing wrong gateway IP address in network settings - very simple and not making problem when you have dual-boot system on one same hardware

11. Yes, there's always a way around phoning home, either the hosts file or a strong firewall. My general philosophy is don't use plugs that exert abnormal copy protection, either legit or cracled. Legit users are always walking the line between having a working plug and having a false negative, and crack users are always walking the line between having an essential plug and having nothing at all.

Very, very few serious plug producers go out of business, so why can't the oness who exert abnormal copy protection survive without using strong protection, like most plug developers do? Soft iLok is fine, no probs, hard iLok is a dongle tax. In this day and age you don't need some loony tune dumping their anger through your DAW's extension bus. Stay away from these plugs. It's the best long haul strategy.

12. DigitHandz

DigitHandz Ultrasonic

@tzzsmk @twoheart Can blocking a VST executable and/or DAW executable in a firewall prevent calls to/from the internet?

My thinking is even if the network code was inside the compiled code (.dll,.vst3), only an executable would be able to run the network code and by blocking the executable in a firewall, you esstentially block that code from accessing internet.

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

you need to block executable like a DAW, but you can block only certain hosts it tries to access

14. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

like @tzzsmk said, no worries to block vst cuz if u block ur host ( daw), it will block vst internet access too.. this is true as for my captain plugins vst which require internet access to run.. when i block access on S1, the plugin be like amy winehouse and sing ".. They tried to make me go to Rehab, But I said no, no, no" haha.. with hand gesture though, the way i imagined it ofc, it hand say no no no pop out right from screen.. something like that.. :shalom:

15. livemouse

livemouse Producer

in addition to the other suggestions, set your computer's default browser to a browser you don't use like internet explorer, and block the browser from accessing the internet.

16. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

why don't you remove internet explorer and edge with powershell