Easiest way to symlink kontakt libraries between desktop drive and portable drive.

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by secrettunnel1234, Oct 27, 2018.

1. secrettunnel1234

secrettunnel1234 Noisemaker

Okay this is basically it: When I am away from the desktop I have a portable setup that I run kontakt libraries with. I want to be able to open the portable projects on my desktop without kontakt looking for the libraries in the wrong place.

I have been researching symbolic links and while I THINK that I understand how it works, I was wondering if anyone could chime in with a very simplistic / broken down explanation of how to accomplish this.

Cheers!

3. EchoBoyoy

EchoBoyoy Newbie

You can just keep the desktop with libraries as it is for a 'test bench' look at lots of stuff and take the portable stuff on the road with a laptop in a portable drive. That way you are not getting distracted and the portable machine will run faster. We find that useful but it depends on your workflow.

Symbolic links will get confused by changing drives from desktop to portable IMHO although there may be a way to manage this again depending on your gear and workflow. Could you tell us a little more about your OS, hardware, sound-card, any music gear connected and how you wish to use it all?

For performance I find I use just a few key libraries such as a collection of B3s, piano, brass, synths and KK Keyboards. I swap from keys to guit, bass, vox and a lot of other vintage acoustic gear too. If it is on stage with a substantial audience there is no forgiveness for stuffing about so it means it has to be tested at home (all gear and soft-synths etc) tested again at the venue and then tested, EQd and tune checked again before the gig.

I do think we all pretty soon develop our own favourite and individual methods but the above is what floats my boat.

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Moved to more appropriate "Kontakt" section.

5. albert001

albert001 Producer

That you say symlink...OK don't look no further just go to this site "http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html" there is

an extensive explanation and a handy tool for what you wanna do...!if you install the app(and vcredistx86Andx64 Install booth and you good

to go) just go to the folder you wanna link right click(context menu) pick link source...after go to your location of choice(same or other

hard-drive, flash-stick or even a network-drive)right click again and go to drop as..."symbolic-link"...that's it.and you always know by the

green arrow on the folder that this is a symbolic link!

PS:your hard-drive have to be NTFS format or on Linux EXT2 or 3 or 4 to use the symlink command...!!!