EA R2 Reverb asio/performance meter load

Discussion in 'Software' started by shomyca, Oct 29, 2016.

1. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Hey guys,

I just played around with the today's AU's release of the Exponential Audio R2 reverb and noticed quite high load on my Cubase asio performance meter, with both vst2 and vst3. When I compare it with Phoenixverb, Relab LX480, Lex PCM, it's quite a difference, like more than double load.

Now, I have kind of solution for this by hosting it in VEPro, but I am interested if it's the same situation with you guys. I mean, EA verbs are known for low cpu load so I was suprised. :dunno:

But even if that is normal, I could totally accept it due how beautifull it sounds... complex algorithms and s@#& :wink:

3. line.input

line.input Ultrasonic

Yep, I noticed it as well with both R2 and Nimbus. On a low-spec machine they literally killed the DAW (Bitwig Studio)...

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

valhalla DSP is know for awsome reverbs at low cpu.
    certainly most of the iLok plugins are cpu hoggers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Medrewb

Medrewb Platinum Record

Can't open the Autotune Installer too, others are fine.

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Use jBridge to bridge the 32-bit .dll to create a new 64-bit .dll
    In jBridge settings turn on Performance Mode.
    CPU drops to 0-1%

If you want to keep your original .dlls aswell as the jBridged ones, don't check the 'Don't add .32/.64 in file names in destination folder' option.

EDIT - I just realized that you can jBridge your 64 bit plugin into another 64 bit plugin as long as you create a sub-directory for the bridged .dll as jBridge won't let you bridge if the source and destination directories are the same.
    Useful for Nimbus that has no 32-bit version.

Valhalla rules!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I never tried to bridge a x64 to another x64

8. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

I have a lot of x64 plugins bridged to x64, for use the performance mode because of my old slow cpu ans that work well

9. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Huh.
    Ableton shows almost no CPU used but the CPU load is actually the same according to Process Lasso and Task Manager.
    That wrapper is a liar.

10. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Maybe, but not all. For example, Phoenixverb is very light.

11. shomyca

shomyca Producer

@Pinkman Great stuff dude, thank you for reminding me about jbridge, that performance mode is actually the same thing I would do with VEPro , but it could be more practical. :wink:

12. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Which wrapper do you mean?

13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I was talking about jBridge but now I realize I had other processes running that Ableton wasn't accounting for.

When you use jBridge or VEP does the CPU load in your DAW match your actual load in task manager?

14. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Not at all, I really don't get what's the deal with performance meter in Cubase. I knew that it is not the same as CPU in task manager, but I still don't get it how that big of a difference between the two can be.

I never actually used jbridge performance mode, I just know about it... but I tested last night VEPro as a host for R2 and other reverbs. VEPro shows roughly the same performance load as Cubase, around 19-20% for R2 while you play the instrument through it. At the same time I looked at task manager, and CPU percentage jump when you use R2 comparing with when not is 1-2% ( as in, without R2 is 12%, with R2 14%), and that is what I don't get it, 2% in task manager vs 20% in DAW :dunno:

Also, the difference between different reverb plugins, while in DAW is huge, in task manager is nonexistent.:excl: What's the deal with that!? :woot:

15. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I know some DAWs don't do well with multi processors, or at least aren't able to represent the load accurately. On some machines I've gotten better performance out of Live with Multiprocessor support turned off. Same goes for plugins like Kontakt that have the option to enable multiprocessor support from inside Kontakt options while run as a plugin. Various combinations seem to work different on different setups.
    MP on in DAW and off in Kontakt / MP off in DAW and on in Kontakt / MP on in both, etc

You should try disabling/enabling multiprocessor support/ASIO guard in Cubase and see if it makes any difference.
    It could make absolutely no difference besides the way your DAW is recognizing CPU usage.

16. shomyca

shomyca Producer

Resurecting this old thread...as I was searching about the same thing again and found my old thread in the results haha... it's funny when that happens :rofl:

Guys, I was testing this performance mode with R2 plugin, and I can confirm that it drops my Cubase asio performance meter significally, which is great...

BUT, my CPU load (task manager) stays EXACTLY the same, which confuses me A TON o.O

So performance mode ON vs OFF, cubase asio shows the difference, CPU doesn't. How's that?