E-Mu Emulator X3 and Morph Control

Discussion in 'Software' started by SirGigantor, Oct 31, 2022.

1. SirGigantor

SirGigantor Ultrasonic

Yeah, I've been meaning to more with the actual sampler part, I looked into it and it definitely looked pretty in depth. I've used some of their plugins and they're definitely good. I'd probably go UVI over Omnisphere, although they're both good. There's always so many different things to look into, sometimes it just that certain things have certain way of loading things or what have you that they're more appealing for certain things.

2. SirGigantor

SirGigantor Ultrasonic

I'll definitely take that into account. It really shouldn't be that intensive on resources, but some VSTs are, I'm really into lightweight things for whatever (I used AirWindows stuff a lot, for instance).

3. SirGigantor

SirGigantor Ultrasonic

The R2R release seems to have eliminated that problem as long as you stay away from the "library" tab and use "system" instead, it crashes with too many libraries. It has a lot of strange features. The SP 12 distortion effect is really neat as well.

Roli Equator 2 is really good if you have MPE, but it can also load up to 6 sound sources in single instance and can do Sample, Granular, Wavetable, and Noise. What makes it very desirable is how easy it is to map multiple parameters to an MPE equipped input device.

The Harmony Central post is definitely very good, I've been reading through it and there's a lot of good information in it.

4. grounder

grounder Kapellmeister

Okay will check out that R2R ver when back. Testing a few days back was with online server activated version installed years ago. PC been offline for probably as long. I have some freeze-GUI issues independent of 'Library' Issue, but did find a few days back that if I clicked Library tab, let it completely finish reading DB, as long as I didn't touch anything except typing something (Vox, bass, etc.) in the Search box and USING <ENTER> on the keyboard (NOT using the Search button on the GUI), then clicking at least one +/dropdown in results, I could use the Library search functions without lockups-freezes.

5. grounder

grounder Kapellmeister

Uninstalled server activated ver. and installed R2R ver. you mentioned. VST not recognized by DAWs, VSThost still saw VST, but GUI paints briefly then closes. Tried reboot. NC. Did a MS sys restore from last week to go back to server ver. It starts but asks to activate again. As previously note, this WIN10 PC has been offline for years, but I put temporarily online to activate. Never found activation server., errors out. After several attempts, found KVR mention that Creative activation server was finally taken offline some months back. Unlike MAC which I do full image and Inc at least every 2 weeks, the WIN box is hardly used so last image is 4 months old. When I have time, will see if I can find what needs to be cleaned out and then try again. If no good, will have to see what other stuff I would need to preserve and APPs would need to be reinstalled if did image restore. I do have an old WIN 7 laptop on the shelf that I will probably try the R2R ver when I have time. In retrospect, should have just tried that first, but not really 'musically' equipped so laziness won out.

6. SirGigantor

SirGigantor Ultrasonic

That's strange, I have the R2R and I also use Seib's VSThost and it works fine. I've also been making headway, I assume it's the same one as you have as I got it from the Sister Site.

Also, I've been making headway as a result of the link you shared. It's that certain features of the filter, i.e. "Morph", "Body", etc . . . are labelled different things in the cord patches. It's in the manual once you realize it, but it's a very large manual, I actually checked to find a printed copy online because I prefer reading like that so much more . . .

7. grounder

grounder Kapellmeister

I suspect something leftover in registry or some file I missed cleaning between the two installs. Plugin starts briefly in VSThost, quickly dissapears, but that virtual keyboard remains (partially offscreen and can't drag on or crashes). I will get it sorted at some point and if good to go and figure anything out will post back.

Happy to hear you are making some progress. If you figure it out, please post back. I know what you mean about printed manuals. When it is +300 pages with so much info spread out, nice to be able to bookmark-sticky, hi-light, underline, etc. for later ref and not sharing a screen between reading PDF and using VST. I'm sure there is some PDF viewer that lets you do all above, but don't deal with that many huge PDFs.

8. SirGigantor

SirGigantor Ultrasonic

I haven't tried using it, but someone recommended Revo Uninstaller for stuff like that. You install the the exact package that's causing the problem, and Revo will track the registry entries apparently. I have to try it with Equator 1 to see if can find a way to load external drive SFZs, but it looks promising.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

sorry tldr; will save you some years and some gray hairs. And a tree somewhere. Put up a couple of wav files of clean, and then Emulator Peak Shelf Morphed with X3. They don't have to be automation masterpieces, just for comparative purposes if you like. So we can hear a few filter frames of it.

The printed full EOS manual is about 6 inches thick in a 3 ring binder. It is a ton of absolutely mundane information about things that sounded like space travel in 1995 or whatever; but you guys will know about 99% of it because it's applicable information to every sampler and sampling program/daw/editor we have all used by now. It's like giving Elon Musk the parts diagram to a model rocket from the 90s. Other than some of the very specific information relative to the X3 emulator; what I quickly reviewed in the earlier posted document is extremely similar to it.

I think for you all, it would be a big waste of paper. You could probably go thru the entire thing in about a half hour.

Falcon as a Synth or a Rompler/Sampler is nothing like Omnisphere at all. Even if you have a bunch of the big libraries. It doesn't even seem to matter. I paid what, about 500 bucks for Omnisphere, and I rarely run it because it is resource heavy. I'll use an instance or two, etc with no worry; but it adds up pretty quickly. I'll have 20 instances of Falcon open, and it's like playing a few wave files. That way it runs is unreal, and my libraries are on a 4tb HDD! external, not an expensive SSD at all. If you are not needing perfect Film Quality Kontakt libs; it is literally the program we have been wanting for 20 years. 99% of the time I use it, nearly every channel of "machine drums" is Falcon Drum Designer. It's about the size of Addictive Drums2, it runs faster than it - ish; but you can make anything you want in it. No-one uses it, and no-one will have a sample spotting success with any of it (unless maybe they are using it as well). Feel free to know where starting samples come from anyway.

For meat and potatoes synthesis, it's so stupidly fast. You can get complex, but you probably have better synthesizer options available at your disposal. Stick a nice channel strip plugin and bounce if you want grit/flavor/your taste. otherwise it is clean as it gets. Put 1 Goldbaby 808 in it on a sample oscillator; and you will be sold on using it as another solid option for sampling. Then Compare that new freebie 808 from UVI to it. idk not if the freebie works in Workstation (free UVI teaser/Player program)

It is a far superior Bird. This X3 program is an administrative nightmare for you, because it is generating a ton of work converting file formats between samplers. It's just a "magic filter" that only Dave Rossum can supposedly explain the rocket science behind. Without the benefit of it even being the dirty ass hardware version you can gain clip via a desk mixer to even get it to sound right. Re-record and replace (or keep) 1 special part through this emulator thing onto a tune. As a special effect, if you really creatively must have "that zplane sound". This is a rabbit hole to nowhere imo. If it was all already done, and the entire Akai/emu/kurzweil universe of samples on a drive; (prepared by someone else) that would be an entirely different matter. Starting from scratch, hell no. I'd rather get a pet Alligator and keep it in my house.

This is UVI Shade. This image is apparently lo-res, the actual plugin looks perfect. These are iLok protected Mac plugins I have voluntarily bought and paid for every single byte of code. I'd buy the Core Falcon, DD, and Shade again in a minute. The rest is awesome stuff, but pricey and a few of the other earlier expansions are hit or miss. But you have different options I can not avail myself of, even if I was so inclined to...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022