Dystopian Guitar Processing

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by f00br, Jul 28, 2018.

1. f00br

f00br Newbie

Hi All

I recently came across a library for kontakt - Rast Sound Dystopian Element. In the description it is said that all the samples presented in the library created by means of guitar and processing.

It so happened that I was invited to play in one project and from my guitar requires a similar sound (as in the Dystopian Element)

Maybe someone had experience in tuning this sound? I need starting points for VST processing chains. Which bundles of plug-ins are better suited for achieve such a sound or close to this - ambient texture, dystopia, cyberpunk, dark dreams tags ...

It seems to me that this is rather difficult to do with the help of the VST plug-ins, but unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to use analog equipment. But to admit honestly - I never had experience in tuning this sound. So it would be cool if anyone could have suggested the recipe of the processing chain in order to get away from the guitar sound in the direction of pad textures. In general, what would I have to begin with.

At the moment I tried various combinations of delays and reverbs, NI Reaktor Molekular and NI Guitar Rig but the sound is obtained either of an entirely experimental character or completely banal.

Please help to get on the right path of a dystopian guitar ;)

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

For turning guitar plucks and strums into pads I use some of the more abstract reverbs like (Reaktor) SpaceMaster or (Audio Damage) Eos you should also set up some Sends and Returns and apply the FX in subtle amounts.
    Rarely is anything you hear on a record just one single VST.
    Layers. Like nachos.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. f00br

f00br Newbie

thanks for the advice. I'll try these plugins today.
    I thought maybe there are any plugins that in real time make granular synthesis?

5. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

NI Replika, Audiority Grainspace and 112dB Mikron Cascade, all might go some way to giving you the sound you desire. Or they might not, but you could give them a go.

6. f00br

f00br Newbie

Wow! Nice tools. Get very close to what I want.
    Can be there is an option to do processing through VCV Rack? I always thought that connecting instruments to synthesizer modules is a way to completely change the essence of the guitar sound ... but I always could not afford it. Anybody knows can be run the signal from the line in to VCV Rack?

7. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

8. f00br

f00br Newbie

Nice plug, dude! Together with
    Output Movement gives a very interesting result

9. Also, a volume pedal can go a huge way in creating pad like textures. Wack the attack and cressendo in time and feeling can mimic a string instrument. Couple that with the georgous reverb/delay chain of your choice (compressing the verb to taste) and perhaps grabbing and looping snips here and there to add another further sweet layer is now possible and fully in your grasp...for the cost of an expession peddle and on/off switch plugged into your midi keyboard.

10. f00br

f00br Newbie

Nice! Excellent advice on technique. Also I was advised to use ebow. It is great idea but iam still looking on VST processing chain or rather I think how to connect the guitar to VCV Rack or to the Reaktor...

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

This could all be done with freeware. "It's not what you use, but how you use it".
    This makes me want to fire up Majken Chimera, xoxos Steam VSTi, AriesVerb 0.4a, ValhallaShimmer, etc.
    Look into granular synths, shimmer reverbs, creative convolution reverb use, modulation (pitch, amplitude, filters, etc). Also pick the right modal scale to compose in, to bring out the "dark" feeling/mood.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  12. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

You may want to try this one -> https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2018/07/08/vcv-rack-vst-port-unofficial

Edit: i made a mistake, this is for vcv instruments. But you should be able to use vstbrigde for vcv effects

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  13. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

14. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

And try Meldaproduction plugins,some of them are unique,the more I use them and the more I love them.

15. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Audio Damage discord if you want to try granular effects.

16. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

OMG, you are same as me. I downloaded the library just to imitate the sounds for my own guitar.
    I have some ambient presets, but these are realy cool.