Dynamic stereo imaging/panning

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Reploid, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Reploid

Reploid Newbie

(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong board. I feel like stereo imaging is more a component of mixing rather than "how do I make this sound", but please move it if it doesn't fit.)

Oneohtrix Point Never's latest album, Garden of Delete, makes really interesting use of stereo imaging.

Unfortunately, many of the songs on the album aren't on any free services. If you don't have the album and are into experimental electronic, I'd definitely recommend getting it, though. You can download a torrent at http://www.0rip.me/music/oneohtrix-point-never-garden-of-delete-2015-mp3-320kbps-cbr/24380/

In "SDFK", there's a little "click" noise that moves all around the headspace in a very 3D-feeling way when I listen with headphones.

In the beginning of "Mutant Standard" (
    ), there's a synth that moves back and forth between the channels in an interesting way. Could be something like a bunch of separate tracks of different lengths, each with different panning settings (maybe pan from LFOtool or something)? Not sure.

Every other track also makes great use of stereo imaging, but they just seem like regular panning to me.

What are some plugins that help with creating constantly changing and moving panning? Is CableGuys PanShaper any good?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Panshaper is good, intuitive and very easy to use. Nugen stereoizer both allows you to make the stereo image bigger (you can use 2 methods on different parts of the spectrum : say idd width @100% width from 1100k till 5000k and idt width @25% from 6000 till 8000k or whatever, the linear width the third method works on the whole spectrum) or smaller in three different methods (even for mono material for two methods with no phase issue!) and if you activate the "dynamics" funtion it will animate your stereo image in a very subbtle way (or not at all you can tweak the depth and speed of the effect, sync with tempo or not, etc). And these two vsts can work in series...Oh and an edit to say that dualism from dmg audio can insanely widden your stereo image (check the preferences "misc" and activate the option "extra wide" in width if you want even bigger).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  4. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

5. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Like the vocal in the verse of this song?

Either way, I too really really wanna know how to do this!
    I have so many ideas.

6. Gnib

Gnib Producer

You mean this sound in the first 13 seconds?

Noise Makers Binauralizer and automation wil do the trick. Take a smal with (3%) and automake `angle parameter`.

Panshaper or free Pancake will do too.

Tried both methods and I liked Binauralizer most since it gives a bit more pronounced effect.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  7. Reploid

Reploid Newbie

Thanks, I'm going to look into all of them. Any comments about Melda's plugins? They have:
    Thanks, I'll look into it. Though the comments at https://audiosex.pro/threads/rememe...immersive-sound-experience.20787/#post-138351 make it sound like plugins haven't caught up with actual binaural recordings yet.

8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

No problem.
    Melda does good stuffs, and you have their modulation system included so for creative stereo and panning fun that could be good. I'm not very confortable with their UI, and the fxs they propose I already have alternatives, so I've removed them from my system, but they are good plugins and if you enjoy working with them they should do it.
    With nugen you can even go further with stereo placement with stereoplacer , but it's more mastering application or corrective stuff, you get linear phase eqs and you can do detailled modification of you material in the stereo field. Monofilter is more for the bottom part to get things tighter there.
    And I forgot to quote one tool that I also use often for creative panning it's the soundtoys fx : panman. Very nice for great creative panning effects, very nice sound and great modulation possibilities (more comparable to panshaper from cable guy imo).

9. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

off topic, but thanks for introducing me to this awesome song!

10. jvne

jvne Kapellmeister

You can go on with your DAW too, in making some panning automation it can be very precise and creative. I think there's a bit of phasing in the firsts vocal verses