Dynamic Range: Pros Hate It

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Lambchop, Dec 8, 2017.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

You are both right. To some extend it sounds better with limiting. But there is a point where it just adds loudness and start to ruin the sound. That's when it's over limited.

2. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

:cool:
    ~~The lamb demures, shielding her snout and giggling, almost silently, at the 90s PC-board simulacrum cashing in on the 90s t00b craze.~~

IRL MC275:
    [​IMG]

3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

If i understood correctly you are saying louder sounds better?
    Yeah sure. WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER dude. Why not skip music altogether and start listening to just noise. I suggest a cool mix of white, brown and pink noise with 10 brickwall limiters.
    Your personal opinions (and mine for this example) matter none whatsoever.
    THIS ACTUALLY, IS ALL THAT MATTERS : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamics_(music)

4. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

all these commenters are funny,

whe are not photoshopping waveforms, u all complain but evrybody has failed to
    post a comparison of audio.

I really can't tell before I've listened to an example.

what I can tell that with my own produced music, and all music I'm involved with is hoovering on the dynamic range standards pushed
    by modern music platforms. (depending on the window/scale arround 14dB)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  5. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I never said you need to remove dynamics in music, what I said is a pure fact: a louder sound is more pleasing to our ears than the same sound at a quieter volume.

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It is over. This was done in 2008. Almost 10 years ago. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

just my two cents... :metal:

*take attention on anthrax edit, thx

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I do remasters occasionally, i think im doing pretty good, hit me up if you need some pop and sizzle on top.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

@Backtired's right you know.
    How many times have you heard "bitchin' tune, let me just turn it down"?
    What would the limiters do? Shove the noise upspectrum a bit?

Seriously tho, compression, in theory (and nowadays,at high bit depth, in practice), is fully reversible -- add an expander with an inverse curve of the compressor, and you got the original. There's nothing inherently evil about it. At low levels, some info falls below the threshold of human hearing; compression brings it within that range -- you actually get more info, not less :)

10. spyfx

spyfx Guest

what about perception & perceived loudness ?

11. Philoustyle

Philoustyle Noisemaker

Yeah, it sucks... People, today, are to lazy for turning up or down their level knob. And the fake idea that 'Louder is better" isn't help .. Hopefuly; Itunes and Youtube have put a limit for streaming. (set at -14 db LUFS). Thx to Bob Katz !!

12. Philoustyle

Philoustyle Noisemaker

Well, the human ears have is own "limiter system" . They could support a large dynamic range (from 1 db to the max 140db) but in France gigs are limited at 112 db FS. And the brain false the result, loud track seams to be better than quiet one. It's a question of personal taste. But listen to loud music during a long time could seriously damage your ears...

13. Helvetica

Helvetica Producer

14. spyfx

spyfx Guest

let me ask it this way...is this track loud or dynamic ? both ? none ? what do you guys think/feel ? :

15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@noxin
    Ok mate, would a post of Testament or Sodom convince you as thrash ? Did i forget my metal? Hmm... nope, don't think so. Speed metal is more or less a subgenre of thrash anyway. Metallica and Anthrax among others have a lot of speed metal tracks. And if this doesn't sound convincing to you here's the first 2 sentences from wikipedia:
    "Anthrax is an American heavy metal band from New York City, formed in 1981 by rhythm guitarist Scott Ian and bassist Dan Lilker. The group was considered one of the leaders of the thrash metal scene during the 1980s."
    First of all the op can be used as a comparison. No need to post anything to prove what is known as a "fundamental"rule of dynamics.
    You really need to hear how a whisper squashed to 0 db sounds among 10 people who are shouting? Infernally disturbing would be the appropriate answer lol.
    Not a fact at all. A louder sound if anything, is only more impressive (and not more pleasing) because it's simply louder. Hence loud music in general has its biggest crowd among younger peeps, because their -usually but not always- inexperienced and/or untrained ears are easily impressed with louder volumes/sounds. What your fact should be, and this goes for @Lambchop too: It is ONLY when you like something that you crank up the volume and NOT the other way around. So my man @Lambchop, your example is saying the exact same thing :
    rule 1) you like something - you crank it up
    rule 2) you don't like something - you turn it down
    Which in both cases means, you CANNOT make someone like a song simply because it is louder.
    And any kind of people who really enjoy the music, actually want to be able to recognize the nuances and variety of details in it.
    So, loud? yes why not. Bring it on please. As loud as it can possibly get ? Fuck no.
    There is a reason people play pianissino notes and a reason they play forte etc etc. You cannot take what is meant to be a ghost note among a series of notes with a variety in dynamics and smash it up with a limiter because then it won't be a ghost note anymore. But in order to do this you have to understand wtf is a ghost note in the first place and be able to recognize it among the rest of the notes.
    Some tracks may need limiting. Some may not. People who smash the dynamics of a song regardless what the content is, in favor of some louder impression, should call themselves clowns not engineers or musicians or whatever.
    The modern technological advent has made the tools to create and edit music accessible to some people who otherwise would never had been musicians. And while this can definitely have its positive perks, it has led to a whole generation of ignorant fools playing with -among other tools- a limiter like they 're starring in fucking Southpark. And because i am tired of defending what should be the obvious, the truth is simple:
    "You don't give fire to a kid"
    Cheers

16. Helvetica

Helvetica Producer

Original:

[​IMG]

Remode:

[​IMG]

What happened to those peaks?

17. No Avenger

Ok, first, this vid isn't accessible in my country (wtf), so I listened to the lyrics version.

Second, I took the challenge with the risk of failing and came to the conclusion, just by listening, that it's overcompressed and "underlimited".

Third, according to the waveform, I was right. [​IMG]

Conclusion: Even for a hobby producer like me, it is audible.

18. spyfx

spyfx Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. No Avenger

Sorry, mate, I can't comment on Lars Ulrich, that would get too personal :yes:

20. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I'll buy without reading more the first plugin called "decompressor".
    Just for the developer guts lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List