Duran Duran

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by Zenarcist, May 15, 2016.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Some nice old sounds to plunder :winker:

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

That brings back some good memories. I worked at the same hospital as simon lebon, before he got famous. when the band wasn't touring he used to still drink in a small pub on harrow on the hill and i had some fum times there with him, Yasmin and sometimes other band members. Amazingly down to earth guy even when at his most famous.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

With the wholesale plundering of the 80's currently in full flow, has anybody picked up on this lot yet? If I was starting a new band today, I'd definitely have a bit of this :yes:

5. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

Ive been rediscovering them lately as well, "Holdback the rain" & "The Chauffeur " I've fallen back in love with.
    and yeah Simon is a top geezer, have hung out with him & Nick a few times.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yeah, it actually sounds quite "current" compared to some of the bands that are around today .. dare
    I say it sounds fresh? :mad:

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Flek Fleck Flek Flek Flek... :cheers:

What do u mean by wholesale plundering?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i had enough of it the first time around ( girls on film,planet earth - good stuff)
    have a bit of this instead :

:)

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The 80's influences must be passing you by .. even Phil Collins drum sounds are making a comeback :rofl:

10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Maybe.. dont listen to the radio much thesedays.. too busy soaking up 24/ Politics...

Do u have an example of a current track that uses plundered... stuff ?

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Too much stuff, it's been going on for 10 years or more ... from the Killers, Interpol, Arcade Fire etc, up to the new young 'uns on the scene now. The 80's were a fertile decade with affordable synths, new electronic drum sounds, sequencers ...

12. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I always loved Duran Duran. They're a little before my time, since I wasn't born until 1993. But I never liked the future music. Duran Duran is nice. The Cure, Tears For Fears, Savage Garden, Pet Shop Boys, Simple Minds, Wham, U2, Gary Numan, Prince, INXS, and similar stuff were the kind of stuff I grew up jamming to. Good times. :)
    The 90's is where my favorite music was born - Bands like Third Eye Blind, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oasis, The Verve, The Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20, Garbage, 3 Doors Down, Filter, and all them. After the 90's, everything went to hell.

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

without a doubt.. Duran was teeny bop fare with their image , but also had amazingly crafted songs that hold up well, because they were so well made.. I still enjoy hearing those songs from time to time.. some good memories too...

check out classic albums vid on the making of Rio sometime, gives you a really good insight into their process, from a lot of
    different angles, lyrically, bass, guitar, and of course synth... a good watch...

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

(Velvet Underground) --> Bowie --> Roxy Music --> Duran Duran ... says it all, with that kind of classic art rock pedigree they were only ever going to be stylish, and make good songs.

That's why they always say choose your influences well :wink:

15. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I think that the 80's was the one time when music and fashion seemed to gel. Look at any videos of the top artists, and the looked stylish, as well as having a polished sound.

16. G String

G String Rock Star

The Chauffeur has to be Duran's best least-known track.

It does smack of ripping-off a far better band though, a band that Nick Rhodes ripped for his entire look - JAPAN.

Very few people seem to know Japan, though they were way better than the Durannies and an obvious and acknowledged influence. Superb bass player too - the late Mick Karn.

Oh, and the lead guy, David Sylvian did plenty of good stuff (still going too). Check out his 80s album "Brilliant Trees" if you like this thing.

Great tune with just about the best bass-line ever imo:

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It was an interesting time in music, just after the Sex Pistols changed all the rules :)

http://inflooenz.com/?artist=Duran+Duran&submit=Search

The Roxy Music influences are obvious too ...

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  18. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yeah.. it really shows... and how so many people have covered "More than this" from 10,000 maniacs, to Robyn Hitchcock

19. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

It's funny that you bring up Duran Duran. For the last month, I've been arranging a bunch of their songs for solo acoustic guitar, and I was surprised by the depth of their songwriting. Take away the electronic drum sound, outdated guitar effects and synths, you're left with lush, quality songs. They are definitely a cut above most teen pop bands that have ever existed.

20. Slider

Slider Producer

IMO after the 70's music went pretty much to hell....but what do I know! :rofl:

21. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I think the teen pop thing might have had something to do with their record label, after all they were a bunch of good looking lads. But the band themselves were in it for the music, they had a masterplan with a concept, and they rehearsed for 18-months solid prior to taking the next step.

They didn't have much trouble playing live in their early days

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List