Dubspot or Pointblank?

Discussion in 'Education' started by vibes, Mar 29, 2014.

1. vibes

vibes Newbie

I have been considering to take up a music production course (Ableton live) from one of these schools, online based.

Both look good to me..I'm finding a hard time to decide which to take. I'm looking to enroll around mid of this year.

I noticed the Dubspot courses look more expensive but their syllabus also seems more comprehensive and the duration of learning is also longer..so It's just hard to decide so far...

Also, please please don't ask me to browse You Tube videos and all or sayin' we should learn on our own and not waste $$$...I just like the idea of getting feedback from tutors with a proper learning stucture in place..and hence my decision

I also noticed that SAE online recently updated their website and courses and they look much better now. Before this their site and courses looked really outdated

Does anyone here have any experience with either of the schools? Thanks !

P.S: It would be immensely helpful if there's anyone here who has had experience undertaking courses from BOTH schools B4.

3. Dyablox

Dyablox Newbie

Hey vibes.
    I´ve honestly never heard of Point Blank before, but I´ve known about Dubspot for a couple of years now. I enrolled in one of their Ableton courses (a free one) last year and as you said, they try to make it as comprehensible as possible, thats why it takes longer of course. I learned a lot and everything was clearly explained. On the other hand the price is really expensive but I´m not going to say is not worth it. Also you get to video chat sessions with your instructor which I think is really cool.

There´s also Warp Academy which is way cheaper than both of them and you can get feedback from the instructor too. :wink:

4. vibes

vibes Newbie

Thanks for your thoughts...Dubspot has a free ableton live course???

Warp Academy looks cool...never heard of it b4. Thanks m8

Edit: just checked Warp, they have feedback via webinars(apparently this webinar component has to purchased separately)... but seems to me that the courses are not as assignment based as I would like ..I understand that pointblank and dubspot courses are highly practical

5. Dyablox

Dyablox Newbie

No problem mate! It was a limited time offer course and it was actually 2 years ago not one :rofl:
    Here it is:
    [media]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRIJls797s
    [/media]

And yes, you have to buy the webinar thing separately idk how much it is, I don´t think they are assignment based either but oh well :dunno:

6. euxyh103

euxyh103 Newbie

Hi,
    As a current Dubspot student (real nyc campus) I can recommend them. They now offer 10% for every course.
    Actually online course is more comprehensive than real class because it has to follow the Syllabus without students interfering and asking questions...

If you want I can hook you up with the admission guy to ask questions and maybe get a bigger discount...

7. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

I'd go with dubspot too if I had to pick from the two. Heard good things about it. I personally rocked the DJ Vespers Audio Weapons course and it was all I needed.

8. Point Blank Music School

Point Blank Music School Newbie

Hi guys, I hope you don’t mind me joining this thread, my name is Anwar and I’m a course advisor at Point Blank Music School. Before working here, I actually studied online with PB just over a year ago and liked the courses so much that I wanted to get more involved with the school.

#vibes: the reason I studied online is exactly the same as you, I was looking for structured learning and wanted feedback on my music. I was not disappointed as the courses were well structured and very detailed. I come from a DJing background but was completely new to production, I was putting tracks together within a few weeks and was shocked by my rate of progress. To get to the same level just by self-learning would have taken much longer and I would have picked up a lot of bad habits on the way. If you’re interested, Point Blank gives away free course samples from the website.

My favourite thing about the course was the interaction with tutors and other students all over the world. I had weekly video masterclasses (interactive web broadcasts) with the whole class and received regular detailed 1-2-1 video feedback on my tracks called DVR, invented by Point Blank in 2007. You can learn more about how the courses work and the type of feedback you get on the PB site.

I hope that helps. If you would like any further information on the courses or have any questions then please don’t hesitate to ask.

All the best,

Anwar

9. adamgdavies

adamgdavies Newbie

Hey Vibes.

I've done a few courses with Point Blank online. I really enjoyed them and felt they were well worth the money. I'd picked up the basics myself through youtube, research and experimentation but having a professional on hand to answer all my questions and send my tracks to, as well as all the video tutorials really helped improve my productions. Hope that helps mate!