Dual screen monitors vs one large monitor

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Von_Steyr, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Hey guys,
    Pros and cons from those who use two lcd/led monitors or have used it or perhaps even switched to one large lcd/led monitor,26" and up?
    Mixer view and instant availability of certain plugins is why i am considering two lcd monitors,but im also looking at one big screen option,26,27....

3. Rectifier

Rectifier Noisemaker

Depends on your desk size. I would like to buy two 27 ' monitors but my desk is too small so I have the only option to get these new 34 inch 21:9 monitors

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

i using 2 screens and i really hate it , i remove one screen and not long time ago i searching one good screen
    and i found this , which is amazing
    http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors

here watch a video

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

I got two small Samsung monitors, one stopped working because my cheap HDMI to VGA converter failed, I'm using a friends 20 inch Telefunken as a temp.

Pros to Dual setup:
    - Incredible workflow eg: having your mixer and arrange area up at the same time (works great on Pro tools and FL.
    - Being able to watch a video and browse files or Edit to picture for film etc..
    Cons:
    - Having to buy specific cabling or even GFX card to accommodate your setup eg: DVI to VGA conv etc
    - Cheaper LED screens aren't too nice on the eyes (my screens specifically)

Flat Screen/HD monitor:
    Pros:
    - Good quality monitors for decent price
    - Usually comes with many different inputs
    - Multiple uses, eg watching HD movies + studio use
    - EQ's and analyzers look great.
    Cons:
    -Space can become an issue

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
    Hm....
    I will probably try the dual monitor setup and see how that goes and if i wont like it ill buy a big screen.
    My graphic card supports two screens,has two dvi outputs,9800gt,old but sufficient.

7. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    I've used both setups and i find most disturbing the fact that a black border divides my view.I agree dual screen setup is helpful in situations like PT mixer etc but in my case, using a high resolution monitor allows you to view the whole UI of your program and arrange in it your several components.Your choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I was planning to actually use the 2nd monitor above the main monitor,for the mixer view in cubase 8.
    I will use an extended arm/bracket/vesa type of stand for the 2nd monitor.

9. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

I went two monitors after ableton live started supporting dual screen. I hated it. I much prefer one screen- it helps me focus.
    I think resolution (or effective resolution when it comes to hidpi/ retina) is the most important thing. I have settled with 2560x1440 and even though it is only 25" I bloody love it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Keep it coming guys...

11. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

My advice: if you have the space (and the cash) - 1x34" (21:9) + 2x27" touch screens...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  12. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

heya Von_Steyr, though number of monitors might depend a bit on the task at hand, but I'm a multi monitor guy all the way. Basic setup is 3 monitors and during summer 2.

Doing Photoshop or 3D on a single large display is quite ok too, still (and as you say): there's always a plugin-window that needs to be open and that problem can only be solved by multi-monitors. Horesepower can only be replaced by horsepower :)

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

perfectly ergonomic ... if you are an Orang Utan or a squid with giant arms :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Man, big screens are very unergonomic, unless you sit reasonably far away from them.

If your eyes are about 70cm to 90cm away from your monitor, like most people, you shouldn't be using anything bigger than 23".

Anyway, ergonomically speaking, if you're going to use several monitors, you should use three, not two, arranged horizontally. This way you'll always have one in the center.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. gokkyofficial

gokkyofficial Ultrasonic

the first rule is which daw u choose dual screen awesome for FL which ı have 2x22'' HP FHD screen
    for ableton and studio one dual screen annoying bec of cant focus and each time expand mixer -_-

• List
  16. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

i run with 2 monitors. Have done that for a long time. 4-5 Months ago 1 of the screens died on me and i was forced to work on just 1.
    that worked good for about 1 weekend :D

now my 2nd screen is some super crappy 18inches ? but it works and my workflow is back to normal.
    But i must admit that even tho i only spend 1 weekend with 1 monitor, one can really argue the point that - 1 monitor equals _better_ focus.

I could buy a better 2nd screen but i'd rather save up some money and go buy a propper mic. when viewng the bigger picture:bow:

• List
  17. shomyca

shomyca Producer

If the monitor is on your desk (so it's close) i don't see the reason for too large monitor, the resolution is much more important. Since I got the 2560x1440 27" monitor I can certainly say I could never go back to lower resolution, it's beautiful amount of space. And I would say 27" is the perfect display size for that resolution, not too small, and not too big. But, I am paring it with 1920x1080 24" monitor and I hate the combination, so can't wait to buy another one 1440p 27inch.

BUT the thing I also hate is crossing between the monitors. I have the Cubase mixer stretched full width, across two displays, and hate the crossing... I would LOVE one display with that amount of space...so that would be 5120x1440 :disco: ...but unfortunatly those extra wide, curved LG monitors doesn't go there :dunno: Wish I head space for two of those LGs :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  18. shomyca

shomyca Producer

like this :)

19. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

for a long time i had dual 24" monitors which was fine but i kept noticing i really only used one. so sold them and got a 27" and been loving it ever since

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

I have a Macbook Pro with a 15" screen and a 20" LCD monitor placed to its right. If I were to have, say, a 27" iMac, I wouldn't use a second screen, but in this configuration there are some advantages:
    1) The resolution is relatively "smaller" on the external monitor, rendering type larger to the eye and thereby more readable, if Ineed be.
    2) It's a "cognitive thing" to have the mixer window in the external monitor, the arranger view in the main window (or vice-versa), or to have the windows of two differnt applications open in their own physically-differentiated spaces.
    3) The external monitor's orientation can be changed to vertical if called for – such as for reading long columns of text, or scrolling through a bazillion Kontakt library tabs.
    4) Working in Photoshop, the two monitors render contrast differently (and color, as well, but I have the main one calibrated) differently, so that I can visually spot-check differences in "black" or "white" values when I've used fills or brushes.

• List
  21. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

a friend of mine use a led tv as monitor, hanging on the front wall (head height), seems pretty neat. As for myself, laptop :P

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List