DSP563xx Emulator. Finally some real progress (Access Virus, Nord Lead, TC PowerCore, Waldorf MW...)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ayahuasca, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

Yes, but only if they know the software is actually going to work in the end,
    Somebody could spend weeks working on a GUI an it could turn out to be a complete waste of time.
    We have no clue if this will work yet, but we arent far off being able to test if it will :)

2. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

The discussion is way too much focussed on the gui, imho

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

The purpose of discussion is to discuss various things.
    I wanted to discuss the GUI and the optimalisation. Because this is interesting me.
    I don't understand your point :dunno:

4. visitor

visitor Guest

Relax, ya'll. I think we're all very excited for this project and it's too early to determine CPU intensity or how exactly the GUI will turn out. The first step is getting the emulator going and that will take however long it takes.

I'm excited just for the fact this project exists and someone on the planet has the desire to re-create old-school synths like these, especially when none of the major plugin developers or the synth companies themselves have shown any interest in pursuing them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

totally agree. And i think GUI can come later, when the Emu for the DSP563xx stands and other steps are started.

6. Roboto

Roboto Producer

Exactly. And would you start building a house from the roof?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. lowsat

lowsat Member

Super cool project. Huge potential. But a long way to go before it could be useful for a musician.

Bright future ahead!

8. visitor

visitor Guest

So out of curiosity, I wanted to look ahead to see what other 90's synths might also be potentially emulated:

Unfortunately, it does look like the Yamaha's are a no-go. I haven't been able to find much, but it looks like they don't use the Motorola chips. Yamaha makes their own YM**** DSP chips that's used on everything from their digital FM synths like the DX7 to the Sega Genesis/MegaDrive. It's extremely likely that their virtual analog and workstation synths (AN1x, CS series, Motif workstation, S90 etc) are the same and aren't possible.

The Korg Radias uses a "two TMS320VC5502 DSP chips from Texas Instruments" according to Wikipedia, so that's a definite no-go.

According to wikipedia, the Quasidmidi synths (Quasar, Sirius, Raven, Rave-O-Lution, etc), use Atmel/Dream SAM9407 and SAM9707. They're a no-go.

The Alesis Ion uses a Motorola "Coldfire" chip which is actually more advanced than the 5000 series chips like many on the list, so it's very likely it's not possible. The Fusion uses a AL3101 chip and I haven't found anything on the Quadrasynth or Kawai K5000, though I'm not crossing my fingers on those.

--

I'm personally content since all my faves like the Q and Supernova use Motorola chips, not to mention the Nord Leads, Korg MS2000 and Viruses. Any 90's/early 2k aficionado would be definitely content with all these offerings, though sucky for those who had a particular favorite that isn't possible with a Motorola DSP emulation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
  9. Roboto

Roboto Producer

Any VA synth can be emulated if you have enough information, patience, and most important, skills.
    The thing is that the DSP56k family is pretty well documented, and turns out it's used widely by lots of legendary VAs from different brands. So of course, you don't have to start from scratch every single time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. visitor

visitor Guest

Mmhmm! and as before, there's such an extensive collection of legendary VA's that that particular itch is definitely scratched. It's kind of crazy how many synths were made with the same DSP chips considering the character for each one is pretty unique. The Novation Supernova is extremely liquidy and absurdly fat, the Waldorf Q is gloriously analog and can have a 'hard' metallic character if you push it, the Nords and Virus' are very mix-friendly, and the Korg is just plain fun with that crazy sequencer.

11. Roboto

Roboto Producer

Novation Supernova isn't very high on the priority list, but I'm sure we'll see it some day :)

Waldorf Q / MW2 is more likely.

But if anyone is interested, they're free to join development

12. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Yes, DSP first and very basic GUI like valhalla, fircomp, synth1 is enough, but G-sonique's synths gui, Renegade are more than enough for me. Maybe simple but more advanced like nexus 3, serum... No need for realistic hardware synths GUIs with 3D, shadows, hues, window/light/room reflections from LED display, dust, scratches, screws, wooden panels, metallic colour, warning high voltage keep your hands off don't touch this synth because made in ussr by amateurs and volunteers, other nuances.
    Simple knobs, faders, 3-5 colours, 2D. Or make skins by yourselves, guys, if it is open source.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  13. visitor

visitor Guest

Aww haha. That's a shame because it's a monster of a synth. I loved the Novation Nova Desktop which passed through my hands a few time. Mega fat synth. But no worries! I'm excited all the same to see all the synths in due time :).

14. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Yeah. Right. But if the construction crew already building a house isn't a bad idea to planning a roof.
    There are companies which construct separated roofs and then if house will be ready they put the roof.

[​IMG]

15. Roboto

Roboto Producer

Then go ahead. I mean, we can't stop anyone from designing a GUI, I guess...

16. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

I'm not sure but I think it will be necessery and someone must redesign the GUI. Make something like Behringer do with TB-303.
    Rearrange the position of the knobs and buttons but keep characterictics from original synth.

[​IMG]

You mention this before

17. Roboto

Roboto Producer

Yes. Just don't copy the same exact layout (and ofc don't add any copyrighted logos) and it'll be fine.

Basically don't do this:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

I think You missunderstood me guys.
    I only mention those things about the gui to keep in mind.
    Of course programming is the most important right now.
    But there's a lot of stuff which will be important after finished first stage.
    Worth to planning them earlier to not miss anything later.
    If the Virus launch will be successful You can start further work and take off things one by one from the list.
    So it's worth to add things to that list even right now.
    That's why I suggest everything that comes to mind because I wanna help.
    I did everything I could with programming stuff. Right now I do everything I can with graphic stuff.

19. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

because they think that this would be all you need beside the firmware to turn an emulator software into a virtual instrument. :)

20. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

with the exception of the virus for powercore and the virus for TDM.

you dont want the 200% CPU overhead of architecture emulation in a commercial product, and you also do not want to rewrite your filters and effects from fixed point to floating point - or your customers to complain about the VST version would sound sooo different from the original. :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021