DSP563xx Emulator. Finally some real progress (Access Virus, Nord Lead, TC PowerCore, Waldorf MW...)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ayahuasca, Apr 7, 2021.

1. visitor

visitor Guest

Haha! well I don't mean to discount your experiences and I personally never had a chance to own a hardware Q rackmount/keyboard myself. But I've owned the MicroQ twice, have listened to a ridiculous amount of sound examples of the Q and MicroQ, and am particularly fond of a certain dance studio that heavily uses a MicroQ. So I'm pretty familiar with the sound. Whenever I look up sound examples of the Q, for example some simple supersaws, I can find examples of the MicroQ creating the exact same sound. There's undoubtedly some things that the Q can do that the MicroQ can't simply because it has certain features or modulations sources that the MicroQ doesn't, but I'm referring to depth and the sound-engine. In that regard, I've never believed that the MicroQ was 'thinner, flatter' or any descriptive that would mean it's cut down on quality.

Ohh, that makes sense! in this era of multi-core processing, I hope that synths with multi-chips can be pulled off. Looking forward to seeing more!

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2021
  2. Minimonsta

Minimonsta Newbie

Is there any way to make it friends with PoCo?) That would be huge relief to cpu

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

this was discussed earlier here, so i know PoCo is encrypted and nobody wants really to decrypt it and since everything else was native released somewhere else, PoCo simply was to hard and out of interest. @Minimonsta

thats what i have gathered from following the thread and discussion on discord.

4. visitor

visitor Guest

for all anyone knows, maybe a single-chip DSP synth like the Virus C or MicroQ is really easy on the CPU. Or not. The only way to know for sure is to try, use them in productions, and then see how the synths with more chips behave.

Looking at u-he Diva, it offers Multicore Support where the voices are distributed across the CPU, so that's something that could be looked into. Diva also "Accuracy" parameters where the quality of the sound will vary depending on how fast your computer is. At the lowest "Draft" setting, it's very CPU setting, but with rough FM, weak resonance, and poor filters. At the highest "Divine" setting, everything is pristine and analog sounding. A recommendation if you have a slower computer would be to track using the "Draft" setting and then bounce everything down in "Divine".

If it turns out that the DSP synths, even a single-chip one like the Virus C, are very weighty than this is another idea. But it might be that they are generally more CPU friendly than it seems. The only way to know for sure how intense they are is to finish and use them :).

5. Unirorm

Unirorm Producer

Sorry 8bits, somehow i missed the alert on your quote.
    Well they are indeed too clean indeed but that's actually good because you want fidelity in what you capture.
    I presume, what you really need might be a 500 preamp rather than AD.
    There is where i see your million dollars idea shine.

I used to work with an Apogee Rosetta back in days with a Big Ben clock. This one had a very nice soft clip button if you remember.
    I could see some use in mastering but abusing rec signals, i don't know how much of gain one some might have.
    I would prefer a Chandler Limited TG 2 500 for this warmth and stereo separation and my inputs super clean and accurate.

I guess it's a matter of taste afterall...

Sorry Off topic guys

6. MUTOID

MUTOID Member

I can't wait for this super VSTi!!!!:wink::wink::wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Roboto

Roboto Producer

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  9. visitor

visitor Guest

This is great!! great job everyone!! :speaker:

so what happens next?

also, I'm hearing some crackles at the end of some of the clips. Is it from the conversion or are there more CPU kinks to work out?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2021
  10. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

This is being resolved as we speak, lots more optimisations to be done, it gets faster everyday

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Maxim2018

Maxim2018 Newbie

What are your current goals ? Optimisation only ?

12. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

Currently our goal is to get the emulator running fast enough to run the Virus C ROM without any issues. Some machines would already be able to run it perfectly but we want to get it working for lower end processors too

Once we have it fast enough then it will be time to incorporate the GUI and release a BETA version

(Maybe the first BETA versions will come headless without a GUI) I’m not sure what the plan is yet

• Like Like x 4
    • List
  13. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

this thread is GOLD :thanks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Headless would be good, i mean if one knows which MIDI CC### is which parameter, then its not a problem i guess.

15. stopped

stopped Producer

especially since if it is a legit emulation, theoretically one of the many existing editors should work

16. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

• Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  17. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  18. Roboto

Roboto Producer

19. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca Rock Star

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  20. d-flux

d-flux Member

I have it working on Mac, was able to find a M4L editor which could Edit most of the parameters for virus C, no luck with the Virus HC as it looks for a system ID of the device and fails.