DSP563xx Emulator. Finally some real progress (Access Virus, Nord Lead, TC PowerCore, Waldorf MW...)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ayahuasca, Apr 7, 2021.

1. rollerball

rollerball Platinum Record

Agreed! Korg were way ahead of their time with the idea. The original OASYS (Open Architecture SYnthesis System) concept was introduced in 1995, but there was simply no hardware powerful enough to accomplish it. Then there was the OASYS PCI card, which was great but had polyphony issues. So while Korg were to achieve goals of the original OASYS concept when it released in 2005, it was still prohibitively expensive and not many units were sold.
    Then the Kronos in 2011 improved upon the OASYS while also being significantly cheaper. While the Kronos is still more powerful than all of its competition, I believe it desperately needs an overhaul after 10 years of existing.

Agree to this too. I'm really glad that Korg and Roland decided to bring out their workstations as software instruments as it makes everything much more convenient. Also the Triton VSTi is a really good tool for live use too as a complete, all-round synth, especially as it supports MIDI Program Changes, unlike the Roland offerings!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. visitor

visitor Guest

For sure! being able to use all the cards and sounds for the M1 and Triton that were ever released on one single plugin is so smart. I wish Roland Cloud would have taken a page from their work. Having all the SRX cards as separate plugins rather than having them all on one single instrument was so silly. The Triton was one of those synths I was waiting for years for a plugin release. Whenever someone would ask why, I'd just play "Gods Bathtub" and everything makes sense :bow:.

It's more of a pad/ambient instrument since a VA would be a better choice for a synth sound, but it definitely has it's place with those gorgeous choirs. With the M1 and other Roland Cloud synths (not to mention the JD990 and V-Synth which are very likely to come -- the V-Synth also fills that 2000's era workstation/sampler/synth niche like the Oaysis), there's loooads of old-school workstation sounds already available. Assuming the Oaysis was even possible, I'd rather sooner see the virtual analog's like the Virus', Nords, and more from this project first since they are filled with character, simpler to pull off, and probably gonna see way more millage from them in productions :).

3. tnc

tnc Producer

I have access to a full Nvidia DGX if you need any calculation power, like for decrypting....

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Roboto

Roboto Producer

Bruteforcing?

5. 8bits

8bits Producer

The project is really shining at the new generation ppl, i still own most of these toys, and i want to advise: DA converters of your audiocard are not the same of the original synth so i don’t expect that sounds “the same” but really close, anyway this is not the point if with some analog tricks you can get rid from a flattish sound and give it the “right color” in the mix… even with digital on the box plugins. Compliments for the amazing work btw.

6. visitor

visitor Guest

Agreed. Listening to Korg M1 clips online versus the KLC plugin, I found the hardware had more weight and fullness as if it was already mixed, but this wasn't anything you couldn't do to the software just by mixing it normally. I expect it'll probably be the same with any of these DSP synths: they'll sound less full right out the gate, but it's nothing mixing and saturation can't do to fill it out like any other synth. Especially in this era of very accurate analog-modelled mixing tools.

7. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

I don't know what to think about this what You said.
    I think You have partially right but sound inside the computer will be the same 1:1 with original.
    But You can attach what You said to anything like for example this vst plugin sounds different on Your computer because
    You have different soundcard.
    Don't expect the same sound like in my studio on Your speakers.
    Don't expect the same sound on Your cheap headphones like my expensive ones.
    It always been like this.

8. Roboto

Roboto Producer

They'll sound exactly like if you had plugged an SPDIF output. And btw, synths like Virus TI did indeed have that output.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  9. Nostalgia_Rocks

Nostalgia_Rocks Kapellmeister

this reminds me of the early days of n64 emulation. it would be awesome to have a functioning emu with gui. xD

10. visitor

visitor Guest

or even SNES emulations. It's definitely giving me those vibes haha.

11. Unirorm

Unirorm Producer

Remember it's digital realm. Digital always sound the same when is the same code feeded.
    1:1 - no loss

12. 8bits

8bits Producer

If you can read, I wrote about D/A…not the digital domain…this is obvious like your answer.

13. statik

statik Audiosexual

oh dear sweet lord, if some one can get me a working plugin of the microwavext i'll make sweet love to them in front of the fireplace

14. Unirorm

Unirorm Producer

You can still route it to your converters through a loopback if you like their sound so much...
    Out of curiosity what AD you have?

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Here some screenshots from the upcoming GUI. (not my work ofc)

image4.jpg image3.jpg image2.jpg image1.jpg image0.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. visitor

visitor Guest

That looks absolutely brilliant!! :D I love the Spire-looking Knobs, the Mystery Island looking layers on the left-hand side, and the slight Viper looking feel. What I would absolutely encourage to the team when it's finished is to honestly just recycle this GUI for each DSP synth and just change the parameters and layout slightly accordingly. That way, they can save on time rather than just starting from scratch each time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
  17. MUTOID

MUTOID Member

It's very cool!!!

18. Nostalgia_Rocks

Nostalgia_Rocks Kapellmeister

LOOKS AMAZEBALLS. minimum requirements : 8 thread (for stuttery sound lolz) xD nah just kidding...I hope..lol

19. 8bits

8bits Producer

Hey Unirorm, I'm used to work with Apogee and Antelope, but they are too much perfect for the old toys...you know what we miss for a perfect replica? A magic box called AD-Synth (fantasy name) that should be equipped with the most famous synths AD converters (Roland D50-Yamaha DX7 mk1 and mk2, Waldorf MW and so on) this would be an amazing best seller product!
    Yeah the loopback is a magic solution to warm and make the sound more "alive" ;)

20. visitor

visitor Guest

I also FINALLY got a response back from Mystery Islands about helping with the GUI's and they said they were unfortunately busy/not interested working on their own projects. Doesn't look like it's a big deal given the work that's already being done, by the looks of it!