dSONIQ mixing in headphones

Discussion in 'Software' started by Loudweek, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Loudweek

Loudweek Newbie

Hello all.
    I didn't find here any mentions about plugin Realphones by dSONIQ. It's very good plugin by little company.
    I spent much time trying to get better mixes with Sonarworks+GoodHeartz CanOpener. But when I listened my mixes on monitors it was terrible to hear. Now I use a plugin Realphones by dSONIQ appox. a year. It works much more better for me. This plugin has a binaural component of imitating real studio that helps much. SW has no it. RF has many profiles of headphones, systemwide solution and long trial time.
    It really helps me. I don't use SW for headphones anymore.
    More information:
    www.dsoniq.com

• Agree x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

lol you should just plant the crack. good marketing though:like:

4. Ayc

Ayc Ultrasonic

This sounds so cheap and bad, you can't compare this to sonarworks/canopener combo, i'm not saying that sonarworks is perfect becouse it isn't (it'd be really good if the improve the eq filters and change the tilt to something more flexible) neither canopener but are years ahead of this IMHO horrible sounding plugin.

5. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

I tried it. I don't like it very much. It sounds like a bad version of waves studio 3. A bit like if you use studio 3 without measuring your head.

6. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

Cool story.
    Now come back to reality......

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

That was awesome of you to join today and share that :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Pule

Pule Producer

Best Headphone plugin so far!!!
    I did an extensive test in my studio (dsoniq vs Morphit vs Sonarworks) and only dSONIQ sounds much like a calibrated speaker.
    Unfortunately the SonarWorks headphone plugin doesn't sound like a SW calibrated speaker.
    Sonar imitates only the HD650 and not the speaker in the room. Sounds pretty midcentric.

9. Stryves

Stryves Platinum Record

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2020
  10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Oh my, is this thing what they call "copywriters"?
    Aka professional spammers :rofl:

11. Loudweek

Loudweek Newbie

Hello guys. Sorry for misundestanding. I really just a user of this plugin and just wanted to share it with you. I tried to use SW+GH and had no any big success. I bought this plugin with my Focal profile. At first listening is sounds very strange and not suitable. I couldn’t understands a benefits of plugin. It sounds very different from others. But after two months of using I began to make balances in mix much more better and listening on monitors were not so terrible as after SW. Plugin needs adoptation time of hearing. Now I use it almost one year and make a little corrections on monitors after it. Mostly low frequencies. Balances are well. It’s my experience and opinion. For others there is a demo.
    Have a nice day guys.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. LeakedNoise

LeakedNoise Newbie

Well I just tried it with my HD600 and it just sounds like utter trash.
    Even without the individual calibration file sonarworks sounds so much better...
    And this fucking piece of software installs a new audio device as well WITHOUT ASKING!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Loudweek

Loudweek Newbie

My first impressions were completely the same. It looked like trash sounds. I switched it off and returned to SW. Next time I decided to test it more longer than some minutes and set it up more accurate for me. Now I’m on RF a year. SW also install additional device for systemwide solution.
    You tried it - great. No means no.
    And my opinion: We have to mix on monitors. But sometimes it’s impossible.

PS: For example just listen music via RF systemwide application with your headphone HD600 profile some hours and then switch off plugin. The sound in headphones will fall apart to sides.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. Loudweek

Loudweek Newbie

The main problem of this plugin that it have many cool features, but there are no detailed explanation how it works and how to set up and use it on the best way. New users just want to switch it on and get great results immediately. But it doesn’t work with this plugin. In result new users get an unsusual and strange sound for their ears and send plugin to trash.

15. Pule

Pule Producer

https://www.dsoniq.com/realphones_userguide
    Basically you need to reduce the diffusion (Ambience) to 50 or less, extend the speaker width to 80 or 90 degrees, turn off the "Speaker response" or use small percentage, Presence 75 or 100 and of course use the measurement for the exact model of the headset.

16. Loudweek

Loudweek Newbie

Life shows that many users ignore user guides:) It would be better to have video with examples on YouTube.

17. LeakedNoise

LeakedNoise Newbie

Tbh I cannot agree with you.

First I did only try the frequency response correction by both SW and RF and they were completely different. Like day and night. Especially concerning was the fact that the RF version had no bass at all even though it is well documented that the HD600 are lacking bass. Of course I could add bass manually through the plugin in control but honestly that makes me not trust the RF frequency correction at all.

Second you could choose whether you wanted to install the standalone version of RF or not. I chose not to and only installed the vst3 version. However it still installed the audio device and this is a no go.

Third if you argue that you just need to listen to your headphones with RF enabled a couple days before you will be able to make mixing decisions then why use any plugins at all? Many people mix with HD600's without any of these plugins so that just doesn't make sense. All this plugin gives me is an altered frequency response but nothing that could be considered 'flat'.

18. Loudweek

Loudweek Newbie

I didn’t checked only corrections of RF and SW. And here I can’t discuss it, unfortunately. RF give me best overall results. I think it’s great that we can choose more suitable solution for us between vendors. I agree with you, that it’s necessary to ask user during installation about additional drivers to the system. But I think for both questions and offers there is a support. You can give them feedback on it. Third: Many people can mix perfectly on headphones without any additional solutions. This plugin is not ideal solution. But it give a different way to try mix in headphones. Somebody will find RF useful, somebody not. It’s normally. But it’s necessary to spend time with plugin and check user guide to understand how it works and to understand is it solution for you or not. I found it only on second attempt deeply studied plugin.

19. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

Better results with:
    [​IMG]

20. Pule

Pule Producer

I compared only the HD380 and m40x and Realphones is far better and sounds like SW over the speakers :)))) Sonarworks just raised the middle and so sounds "neutral"
    I record classical music and also acoustic instruments only sound natural with a Realphone. Mixing through the speakers is still crucial, but with this plugin I know what I'm doing while recording on location.
    cheers

21. acsourse

acsourse Newbie

Hi guys. I’m seeing here different opinions and want to share my thoughts on this. So far as I was one of the first users of RF (I made my headphones hd 600 corrected), I want to mention that you need to get used to hearing this sound. Yes, it takes some time. At the same time, now I'm sure that what I do using this, will sound good on the other sources. And of course, I make mistakes, but guys... It's not a million-dollar studio. I don't know how the average correction works, but the individual correction is worth it. BTW, now I use dt 1990 pro corrected for me. I also used SW and some other soft, and I want to say that it is not even close to RF.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List