drums question - if we assume 2 crashes...One higher pitched than the other

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by stav, Sep 8, 2024.

1. stav

stav Member

drums question - if we assume 2 crashes on a kit...One higher pitched than the other

where do most drummers put the higher pitched crash? on the left or the right side?

and why if possible

3. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

Well... as someone who plays drums but is not a "drummer" I think it's personal taste. And in all the years of working with drummers I've never heard anybody discuss why they will put a cymbal in any particular place based on pitch. I think drummers tend to put what they consider their best sounding cymbals on their dominant side; for me that's my right side and I will put the cymbal I think has the best sound in general over there; it might be higher pitched and might not. For me there's no science to it.

4. Fireplace

Fireplace Kapellmeister

To find the correct cymbal instinctively, most right-handed drummers I know place them in the same order as the toms, high to low from left to right. Certainly no science, but convenience for some.

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Depends on where you preferably put the lower pitched cymbal (or do you mean "darker"?). :rofl: I'm pretty sure everyone has their own preference. It's also about complementary colors, contrasts, width, etc to get a full rich sound when you hit both crashes at the same time.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2024