drummers? How can i understand better Cymbal choice and toms size kick drum size etc?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, Jul 18, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

drummers? How can i understand better Cymbal choice and toms size kick drum size etc?

for pop/rock genre

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Since you're asking drummers, are you talking about hardware?

And even if, every instrument should be chosen based on its sound (if money doesn't matter, that is).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  4. samsome

samsome Guest

yes hardware,

well i just don't have much experince with drums....

for example
    if i wanted to choose between 100 acoustic guitars for a song, i don't think it would matter a lot to me...........since when i go into a guitar shop most sound decent anyway

with drums i don't have much experience i don't know how important is to choose specific crashes/toms/kicks

i guess i can just experiment with BFD3 or superior drummer or something to hear different crashes etc, just checking if there's anything else i could do to learn

5. Will Alter

Will Alter Member

If you want to emulate/understand kit drumming just picture your 4 limbs. Hihat pedal, kick pedal, 2 sticks. Write from that perspective with something like SD3/bfd etc. Explore those choices and sounds; you have way more choice of drums, mics, tuning and then processing than most great drummers in history.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Although BFD3 and SD3 could give you an impression about the minor and major differences between the kits, when it comes to the shell pieces (bass drum, snare, toms) I can tell you this: their sound depends on the material, diameter, depth, felt, tuning, dampening, stick (beater) and the power with which you play them.
    The sound of the brass pieces (HH, cyms) depends on the material, diameter, thickness, surface, stick and again on the power with which you play them.
    And all this you can only find out by trying in a shop.

7. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Your best bet is to just use your ears and not worry about specifics, unless you intend to buy yourself an acoustic kit and learn drums for real. If you're just using sampled drums (which is, sadly, the majority of people recording music these days), you have the luxury of auditioning as many kits as you want until the right one fits.

8. baseimpulse

baseimpulse Member

I am a drummer (20+ yrs) and frankly, the best way IMO is to really bang out on a few kits! doesnt matter if your a drummer or not. You can tell right away the differences from kit to kit simply by hearing how a head resonates with the shell. Different shells will give the tone base that your working off of. Mostly in POP, a lot of what you hear is drum replacement. but truthfully, real drums doesnt matter what kit you use or buy is mostly based in personal preference to the engineer or producers ear. But the best way is to bang on cymbals and drums and with drums, the shell is what will Give you your ultimate preference in taste regardless of maker.

9. Sang singh

Sang singh Newbie

all this you can only find out by trying in a shop.