Drum tuning

Discussion in 'Education' started by Arkitecht, Oct 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Arkitecht

Arkitecht Guest

Hello audiosex:

This time i am looking for your help with real drum tuning (i am not sure about the translation) So maybe you may recommend a video tutorial on youtube or something like groove3. The more detailed, the better (If it is possible)

3. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

I think the best advice I've heard is to find the resonant pitch of the drum shell and go from there. I'm not a drummer myself because my legs don't work, lol, but I've looked into this for quite some time. My drummer kept warping his drums when he was first learning, so it's definitely a good idea to learn how to tune them. We all know drums aren't cheap.

Here is a really sweet tuning tool I've been looking at for a while called the Tune Bot:
    http://tune-bot.com/

This is a video from Drum Workshop (DW) on drum tuning:

4. Arkitecht

Arkitecht Guest

Thank you all for the feedback, you are very kind.

Special thanks to you @cripple9, it is a good starting point.

5. zee

zee Noisemaker

6. cripple9

cripple9 Ultrasonic

Happy to help.

The Tune Bot website has a ton of useful tips on the top of the main page under the heading "Free Tuning Resources". I didn't see that the last time I visited their site. I learned a couple things today too. :hifive:

7. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

All drums have a pitch and style of tuning they "prefer"-a "sweet spot" that works well for that particular drum. If you want to find the best sound of a drum that works for you, the science of tuning is a good place to start, but just experimenting will help also. Don't be afraid to crank drums lugs and heads this way or that, it's very difficult to damage them. Toms can be tuned with bottom heads lower in pitch or higher in pitch relative to the top head. This creates much different tones in the same drum. Some people like to tune drums so they shift in pitch after you hit them. Some people like a hole in the bass drum. some don't. Some people like a low pitch muffled snare. Some people like a higher pitch snare with more sustain.Then there is muffling for drum heads. For that, I really suggest a product called Moon Gel. You can move them around to different spots on the drum to experiment with how they muffle different tones or unpleasant ringing. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/rtom-moongel-percussion-dampening-gels One more thing---how hard a drum is struck, what part of the drum, the angle of the stick that drummer uses, and the size of the stick--- all have an effect on the over all sound.---now...let's talk about cymbals...:rofl:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List