Drum Synth plugin? Who was using BigKick or Kick 2?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by krameri, Jan 25, 2023.

1. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Hi. I hope I'm asking the correct group. I'm inquiring about kick drum plugins (specifically AU for Mac).

So I was on that other site and noticed that Credland BigKick and Sonic Academy are not posted ever, anymore. Is there a newer plugin that people are using, or what happened? I don't need to have one of those, but I'm dying to know what the current thing is.

Thank you!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Kick2 is just about perfect anyway, no? There was one later pc subversion released. The Mac version is 1.1.1 and the pc is 1.1.4.

Once in a great while you will see some presets get uploaded for it. Credland is PA, and they do not fly through version numbers on many plugins either.

4. SholandaM

SholandaM Member

I demo'd two recently - Sinee Chop Suey and Bleass Sidekick. Unfortunately, I had to throw Sidekick back in the water. It wasn't ready for its closeup. Too spongy and lacking transients, like the synth kicks in DrumComputer. Chop Suey was powerful, solid, meaty, tunable, and gritty (if you want). I can't wait for Dawesome to follow up with a snare, cymbals, toms and percussion synth.

5. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I think the sister site has the latest version for both of these plugins. I'm not 100% sure on Kick 2 (I think it is, though), but Bigkick definitely is the latest.

I own Bigkick, but Kick 2 is better, IMO. For most of my current tracks, I tend to use mostly VPROM as an all-in-one and don't use a dedicated kick synth.

6. emdebee

emdebee Member

Have a look at FX23's Psylab :wink:

7. SholandaM

SholandaM Member

I'd never heard of Psylab so I looked it up on YT. I see now why it's not mentioned often. It's complex! If you're in the middle of laying tracks down, stopping to craft a sound in it could slow you down to the point where you just go, "Oh, F it. I'm pulling up Spark 2, Battery 4, or what have you."

I d/l the demo anyway as I'm a glutton for punishment.

8. ilovepresets

ilovepresets Noisemaker

its pretty sick but soo fiddly and not user friendly at all

9. trz303

trz303 Producer

Kick 2 is the perfect tool for sculpting kicks. I use it a lot. V1.1.4 is 2 years old but still kickin' ;-)

The D16 Punchbox is very nice too.

Even if those are "old" why do you want fresh new stuff ? There are still working great ...

10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Punchbox...KICKS ass.

11. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

If you want to go early 00's you can try Jeskola Buzz Hal-Dreamer's "Monster Kick" or fsm's "Kick XP"

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

If i had to choose, i would take Bazzism with some transient shaper plugin on top.

And for more complex kicks, KICK2 is the obvious answer for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List