Drum Layering for HipHop/Electro Tutorial or advices

Discussion in 'Education' started by learner, Jul 20, 2012.

1. learner

learner Newbie

Hi i'm looking for good tutorials that shows how to do a drum layering that makes the beat sounds more heavy thanks

3. xsze

xsze Guest

Search on Google and You Tube, there is few tutorials on that subject, you will find good tutorial and rack for layering kicks in Live.

IMHO choosing the right samples is the key and process them lightly to achieve bigger sound, personally I use little bit of echo boy just to to give the sound little life and filter freak on rhythm mode to make some pumping effect or to kill monotony.

Make copy of your sound and apply different panning or stereo imaging to both...try reverb on send or group channel, compression is always good thing to give sparkle and tight punchy sound to everything.

EQ every layer, compress them if you want, apply some effects(reverb,delay,distortion), reverse some things, glitch, bit crushed, experiment, it's fun ;)

4. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

when Layering drums just make sure they are in-phase :wink:

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

layering makes the drums normally muddy and drity.
    ive stopped layering.

6. xsze

xsze Guest

Agree with ArticStorm and lyric8, that's the first thing you must consider before you start layering, get really messy in the end :)

Everything is in the mixing really, maybe your beat sound nothing special in solo, but the real truth is in the context with other elements in the mix :)

7. deadhenderson

deadhenderson Newbie

I've found that making slight adjustments to the attack and decay times of each sample before filtering and compression really helps to glue them together. Also, you may have more control with parallel compression as opposed to a buss compressor.

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

If you need to layer the sounds, it just means your original sound is not good in the first place, or your mixing skills suck. Also, what other people pointed out, you're in for a phase mess, and I presume this sounds Klingon to you, probably. ;) Learn about phase/phasing in audio, then you'll probably decide against layering and just use and mix well the one Kick or bass, or whatever, you choose. If you really need to layer sounds, the best approach is to filter out high frequencies from the one that's supposed to be the low end, and filter out the lows from the one that's supposed to be the high end of the sample, in order to avoid phasing problems. The best way to choose a kick drum still is, IMHO, to choose the one that sounds the best and adjust the low end according to the mix. Simple. No fuss, no mess. Use some nice saturation plugin to bring it up instead of compressor, too. It creates additional harmonics in the upper frequencies and makes it stand out - "fat". :)

The story about layering as a problem solver is quite blown up out of proportions, and it actually creates more problems than it solves. Do you know what "snake oil" is? This is. ;)

I had a problematic mix just recently where a guy used 3[!] kicks at the same time in some portions of the track because he had heard that would make it sound "fat". We finished using two of them, and not at the same time, just the chorus. These two were different enough and needed for the song. But 3 at once!! When I heard it, I just cringed. People can be so silly, but when you combine it with stupid arrogance then it's time to leave the studio because I don't like to put up with that. Mix it on your own then if you know everything so well. ;) Put a real 909 through some nice compressor and limiter, and there you go - the most fattest kick you'll ever hear. Nothing sounds more fat than that. I'm so tired of that stupid "fat" word... because it may sound so "holy" on its own, but it doesn't fit the context of the track, the mix.

The thing is, when you combine two fat kicks, if they're in phase they would sound "fatter" but you will have to EQ that "fatness" down anyway , because it's too much, and if they're not in phase, you will lose the "fat" and you will have to change the phase polarity of the one of them and pray that it sounds good. But you'll still have to EQ the excessive "fatness" out. It's just pointless most of the time... Get one kick and make it sound good. That's my solution to the "fatness" problem. ;)

Cheers!

9. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Layering is good. If you're layering the wrong sounds/samples, then you'll have a muddy patch. Don't over compress and EQ every single sound. Use a spectrum analyzer and see what really needs an EQ before using up quality CPU. When I layer (Kicks, usually) I find a good, punchy kick and a full boomy kick, then layer them. Cut JUST ENOUGH low off of the boomy kick to let the sub bass in your track get through, then your mix will sound good. Layering two boomy kicks or two punchy kicks will sound out of phase or just plain terrible. Layering isn't bad. Just do it correctly.

10. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Also. look into (You Tube or Google) parallel compression AKA New York Compression. It will make your drums sound more full and present if used correctly.

11. Seckkksee

Seckkksee Guest

Orrrrrrrrrr....
    Using Ableton? Ok, split your freqs and effect from there. Should eliminate phasing issues as well as, by using decent eqing by freq splitting, muddiness. I use a simple two and three way split, with a saturator on the highs and mids, and touch o' eq on the bass. Add some distortion to the tops as well, have fun with ti. As long as you don't sicken your bottom, you can do almost anything! Make sure you compress at the end though, for all freqs, so you meld em back together with a familiar flavor. That works best on kicks, also snares/claps/snaps at times.