Drum Bus Chain

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Retrolize77, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Would like to learn what can be put on the Drum Bus to enhance the sound/dynamics.
    Eq? Saturation/Tape? Do u use a Compressor on drumbus, and if so in what ratio/dB reduction/mix percentage? Do you compress your kick also. Nowadays I’m a bit more careful with compression, cause it can add up quickly, kick comp, dbus comp, masterbus comp!? I tend to eq stuff I dislike to shape it, or saturate.
    What is a good way of working with kick & bass, if the kick is on drumbus.or do you put kick n bass on a extra bus and work on that with plugs to glue?
    You use a synth bus as well ?
    So many questions. Music is a complex beast, and I love it for that, grown man‘s LEGO in a way, isn’t it?
    Greetingz

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

It depends a lot of the final sound you want to achieve. AS extreme example, you would not use the same if you want an old school jazzy sound, than if you're looking for a Heavy Metal clean type of drums.

Compression is almost always part of this chain, the trick is which compressor and how you use it.

4. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Dubtechno/House Hybrid in a was, new boom bap best tape stuff, still experimenting.
    I aware of different comp styles, vari mu, opto and so on, also be used subtle in chain , I know.
    Just curious if u all use the famous slate / aqua stuff, or what kind of plugs u put on the bus. I like satin / saturn/ mjuc fabfilter pro q2 for example .
    Just curious, not really rookie here
    Peace

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Well, I dont know enough about the genres you mention to be able to speak about their /buss/ mixing stage ...

6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I separate each drum firstly, Kick, snare,toms,hats,percussion,claps buss,Overheads, etc then I put an EQ and compressor on kick,snare,claps and toms (I don't usually compress the toms though), just an EQ on all the rest.
    Then I see how the Bass fits with the Kick and adjust the rest accordingly.

Finally, after I group them I stick another EQ and compressor (AND (or) Ohmicide depending on what I want, then a limiter to max out at -2DB I find this glues them together I always make sure though when grouped, the drums never go above -10db on the drum group channel.

Oh and I always peak the bassline at -2/-4db less than the drums.
    So if drums peak at -11db the bassline will peak between -13 and -15db

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Thx for taking the time, sounds like a good formula! I listen & learn