DRC Brings Pressing Your Own Vinyl to Your Home Studio

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by theDingus, Dec 7, 2014.

1. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

DRC Brings Pressing Your Own Vinyl to Your Home Studio!

[​IMG]

Would you like your next release on vinyl, or to press a one-off vinyl from your home studio?
    A new Kickstarter may be about to make this a reality for you with the Desktop Record Cutter.

Do you dream of vinyl? Would you like to put your tracks on "real" records?
    With the recent resurgence of this physical music medium it’s becoming increasingly attractive
    for artists to release limited editions and whole albums on vinyl.

It’s not been cheap to do this… that may be about to change.
    Machine.Pro have launched aKickstarter for proof of concept DRC (Desktop record Cutter).

They describe this device as “designed with modern technology & a vintage soul.”

[​IMG]

Before you click away from this page scoffing at the idea people are still buying vinyl, it might be worth
    looking at recent sales figures for the format below which show a sustained resurgence for the format
    according to Nielsen Sounscan statistics.

"While vinyl sales account for only a small fraction of the overall industry revenues, they have seen an
    increase in recent years in some key markets. In the US, vinyl sales increased by 32 per cent in
    2013 (Nielsen Soundscan), and in the UK, they increased by 101 per cent in 2013 (BPI)". - IFPI

[​IMG]

Still interested? This Kickstarter’s goal is $10,000 AUS (aprox. $8,300 USD). If the minimum goal is reached
    the projected selling price will be $6,500 USD, but Machina.Pro tell us that the more funding they receive
    the more features they’ll add and the lower the end price will become.

[​IMG]

There’s plenty more info on the Kickstarter page which you can visit HERE

[​IMG]

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

That thing looks nuclear. :grooves:

4. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Even thermonuclear! *yes*

5. Pict

Pict Newbie

SUPERCALEFRAGILSTICEXPEIALIDOCIOUS! as Mary Poppins would say.I would love one of those.

6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Haha, remember Vestax VRX 2000? Always dreamt of one after becoming a milionaire. This might actually cost less than $10,000 :wink:

7. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I remember it. There are a few on the market, some which require attachment to a 1200 (and are cheaper than the Vestax). I really wish the DRC guys luck, but they may have to come down much further than their hopeful $6500, produce better specs, and cheaper blanks, to succeed where the others haven't.

8. supersharpshooter

supersharpshooter Member

The Vestax one was about £6000, out of the reach of average Joe, and it was flawed, it could only cut 60Hz to 12kHz, whichis not good enough. That is now discontinued.

There was also the Kingston Dubplate Cutter by Vinylium, and that was only approx £3000 in 2001 (ish), and now it's about £6000 to buy. http://www.vinylium.ch/page/content/index.asp?MenuID=51&ID=94&Menu=1&Item=15.1

So the £6000 price seems to be a theme, and no way is this new DRC device for the general consumer. It looks ugly as hell too, and seems way too bulky and Frankenstein-esque for me!

When they can make a good one for £1000, then I will rip their arm off...

9. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

Cool post Dingus
    I will dream with it for sure (maybe in the future, who knows?) .... :wink:

10. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Price Tag will still be out of reach, for the average bear, also nobody except DJs or Collectors wants vinyl. you cannot play in your car! it skips scratches, and isn't portable for the average bear
    So this is just a concept, that will never go anywhere big......