Drake piano/bell/drone sound?!?!

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by lukepeters, Feb 14, 2014.

1. lukepeters

lukepeters Newbie

In "Hold on, we're going home" by Drake there is this low drone piano sound in the breakdown, i'm not talking about the bass. I've been trying to figure out what synth/keyboard/instrument/vst...etc it is from ALL night and this is my last resort, can anyone help me identify this sound, would be greatly appreciated!!!

3. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Could be made with a cheapo sounding Rhoads plugin.. Lounge Lizard would be perfect. Add some chorus, verb, lowpass the entire signal for the breakdown part & side chain the fuck outta the signal....

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You mean in those songs that his producer made right, not Drake. *no*

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Try lowpassed saw (or FM), side-chain compressed to a ghost-kick (or any short/transient source sound).
    I like lowpassed FM for basses, because you often get a bit more grit than your regular distorted and lowpassed (in that order) saw wave.

Lol. Correct! :D

6. lukepeters

lukepeters Newbie

thanks for the replies, yeah i know he don't produce them but i don't know his producers name lol, anyway.... it's not the bass i'm looking at, this sound isn't sidechained, it's like a "gong" type sound that sits on top of the bass line.

this is the cleanest clip i could find in the song, it plays throughtout the whole song and you can hear it most clearly in the breakdown just before the end of the song. many thanks :)

Attached Files:

7. IIIXX

IIIXX Newbie

I read an interview with his producer 40, in which he stated he uses Pianos with reverb,delay and other effects to create the illusion of pads. It makes a lot of sense listening to his tracks after i found this out. Hope it helps

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ah, ok.
    Play/find a Wurlitzer and take some top end off. Reverb. Maybe some light chorus. Sidechain compress to a ghost kick/transient.

9. lukepeters

lukepeters Newbie

i tried the wurlitzer but i still can't find anything that sounds like this sound :S

10. superprim

superprim Newbie

I found that the access virus TI2 RAM B 72-50-50 HS is the sound where it comes from... with little adjustment

11. superprim

superprim Newbie

Any feed back?